Corsair Community

H50 & CPU Upgrade

Andysocial

Hi Folks,

Having bought a new CPU (Phenom II X6 1100T) and removing the H50 to install it, I had to clean off the thermal compound already on the H50's pump unit as it wouldn't have made good contact on the new CPU.

Can anyone tell me the best thermal compound to use with the H50? Is Arctic Silver 5 up to the job as I already have some at home?

Thanks in advance...

AS5 is an okay compound, however it has been surpassed by other products in years past and AS hasn't really done anything to improve their formula. It doesn't SUCK, but there are better options available.

I suggest:

Shin Etsu X23

Prolimatech PK-1

CM MX-3

EVGA Frostbite

Also, if you feel up to it, you can try non traditional thermal interface materials like Indigo Extreme (IX) and Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad.

I would suggest IC Diamond (the 24 version) since it works really well, however it can be difficult to apply (thick like wet cement) and it can stain your CPU and/or heatsink. While this does not matter in terms of performance, it is an aesthetic issue.

All that being said, we are talking the difference of MAYBE 5*C max, so unless you are really anal about your temps and/or are going to do some serious OCing, AS5 will work fine for you.

Archived