Corsair Community

ax1200 cable length mod

galaxyy

Hi, I got all scared by the "use ax1200 cables only" on my PSU. Is that just to discourage modding the wires since there is a chance I could screw up? All I want to do is chop of the ends of most of the cords and crimp on new connectors. I'll still use all the same connections (and even crimps if needed) and I will DEFINITELY ensure that each cable is in the exact same position as it was before.

This all seems reasonable to me, but I just wanted to check just in case there is something I'm missing (like maybe I need something other than 18 gauge wiring).

Thanks!

There is one exception I can think of, the ferrite cores on the PCI-e cables, but really you can get away without them too, it's just to keep the power going to your cards as clean as possible.

It's all about tradeoffs in reliability versus a pretty system. Personally, I am going for pretty :D:

Oh, and always triple check that you have the wires in correctly. You will never kick yourself harder than you do for frying something that could have easily been avoided...even the best of us make mistakes.

Archived