Corsair Community

Memory suggestions, please

OldPeeBee

I've posted before about problems with my motherboard Asus P7P55D-E LX and using two 2Gb sticks of CMD4GX3M2A1600C9 memory. My RMA has been approved (ticket 6278890), but what is going to work? I find that the board doesn't like the pair of modules but works fine with a single module. Will I be better asking for a single 4GB module rather than a pair of 2gb as replacement?

Tech support seem to believe that the board will only support 1066 mhz memory although the board manual says that the standard speed is 1333mhz; thereagain he firstly said that the memory was listed as a single module!

Stability seems to be achieved only when using a single module at 1333mhz and 1.5v.

Stability seems to be achieved only when using a single module at 1333mhz and 1.5v.

I find that the board doesn't like the pair of modules but works fine with a single module.

If you get the same results no matter which single stick you use then it's most likely the MB. I

Have you tested the memory with memtest to see if you can find a failing module out of the pair.?

Will I be better asking for a single 4GB module rather than a pair of 2gb as replacement?

Short answer is No.

Memtest is fine with one stick at a time in any slot for both sticks of memory.

Tried to get sense from Asus without any luck - they blame memory; even though there are a lot of comments re their boards not handling dual memory configurations well.

If it is the cpu memory controller at fault; is it a problem addressing above 2Gb of memory or is it the dual mode its not happy with. Hence my query about a single 4Gb module rather than 2x 2Gb.

New m/b not an option as 1156 socket not available; therefore would mean a new cpu as well - bit expensive!

Swapping ram isn't an option as everyone I know uses laptops.

All I'm basically after is a working machine with the 4Gb of ram which I originall specced it with.

Tried to get sense from Asus without any luck - they blame memory; even though there are a lot of comments re their boards not handling dual memory configurations well.

If it is the cpu memory controller at fault; is it a problem addressing above 2Gb of memory or is it the dual mode its not happy with. Hence my query about a single 4Gb module rather than 2x 2Gb.

I seriously doubt it's CPU related. Since the memorty tests fine one up then it's most likely NOT the memory. However you always have the option to replace the memory and try another kit. Although i really believe it's just going to be a waste of time

Your query about the difffernt configs....A single 4 gig module would run i single channel mode which is just doing nothing for you but slowing things down some.

You mention posting before, do you have a link to that so I can go back and see exactly what issues your having?

It could be something as simple as a BIOS setting.

The first 2 urls are my posts on this forum; the rest is a copy of conversations with tech support (in reverse date order!).

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=91573

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=109078

Created By: Henry TS (12/22/2013 7:16 PM)

Hello Paul,

Since this kit that you have is not compatible with eachother as you stated, we will be more than happy to replace it with another kit for you. After reading over the motherboard manual, it looks like your board natively only reads 1066mhz. It had also stated that if using" hyper" memory modules ( over clocked speed ) it will only be able to run 1 dimm. What we can do is to RMA this kit and send you a 1066mhz kit, if available. I am pretty sure that will solve the problem

Created By: Paul Boocock (12/20/2013 3:55 AM)

Hello again Henry

I have had a rummage around the internet etc and have uploaded a copy of the motherboard manual - on page 1-10; 1.7.2 I have highlighted a statement about XMP dimms which I do not understand; is this a possible problem?

I have also had another look at the memory forum on the Corsair site and the view seems to be that the CMD4GX3M2A1600C9 dimms do not feature in the Corsair database. There is a CMP4GX3M2A1600C9 which looks exactly the same. There are some comments about the CMD4GX3M2A1600C9 dimms only working singly.

Created By: Paul Boocock (12/19/2013 11:08 AM)

Hello Henry

It is very odd indeed, they don't show on the memory lists of either yourselves or Asus as being compatible, and in fact have never featured on Corsairs list - they seem to be a peculiarity. The only 4GB kit showing for my board now is the "Vengeance® Low Profile Blue — 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML4GX3M2A1600C9B)".

As the modules both tested fine in any slot as individual units, I have always blamed Asus' board - especially as there are comments about memory handling problems with some of their boards. I became fed up with not being able to get the working system which I had planned ( everyone blaming someone else for the problems) and accepted an XP system with 2GB. This has been fine up until now, but I now need to progress to at least Windows 7 and could do with the extra memory.

I'm not convinced that the memory is wholly compatible with the board, but am not sure that the board is not also at fault. There are comments in the Asus manual about XMP memory only being supported for one DIMM per channel as part of the Intel spec, I have tried to get an explanation of this from Asus without any luck.

The memory doesn't like the XMP profile, even singly, and I am running at the boards default of 1333 at 1.5v.

Yes, the bios is the latest version

Created By: Henry TS (12/19/2013 10:30 AM)

Hello Paul,

That is extremely odd. i double checked with compatibility and they should work just fine. Have you updated your BIOS to see if that will remedy the issue?

Created By: Paul Boocock (12/19/2013 2:07 AM)

Hello Henry

These were purchased from ScAntechnology as a pair and were packaged together as a Corsair kit.

Both have identical labels and are marked as CMD4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB(2x2GB) 2048MB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1.65V ver2.4 10382794

Created By: Henry TS (12/6/2013 3:11 PM)

Hello Paul,

the part number for the memory indicates that it's a single module ( CMD4GX3M2A1600C9). If purchased two of these unit separately, there is a likely chance that they are not compatible if the IC chips are from different manufacturers. There should be a version number on each of the modules. Can you provide me with those two version numbers?

Created By: Paul Boocock (12/6/2013 1:58 AM)

RMA is not especially useful in this case. Both sticks work OK individually, but not as a pair. The problem seems to be instability when running in dual mode. Is this common with ASUS boards? Will I be better with a single module of greater capacity?

Created By: Henry TS (11/29/2013 4:16 PM)

Dear Valued Customer,

Your RMA has been approved

The memory doesn't like the XMP profile, even singly, and I am running at the boards default of 1333 at 1.5v.

Okay in short, the memory doesn't like the XMP profile and it only shows two gigs correct?

If thats the case , there is a lot we can try and I would be more than willing to walk you through if neccessary.

I've tried xmp profile singly (still a bit unstable) and dual (definitely doesn't like it) and it's not very keen. With both sticks in it reports 4gb correctly, just freezes and bsod.

As I said before, all I want is a stable working machine. I want 4gb so that I can at least use Windows 7. I've built plenty of machines over the years but never had the hassle which I've had with this one. I don't care about overclocking and usually go for mid range, decent value kit. First Asus board I've ever used - and last; vague as anything about everything!

Happy for any help.

I've tried xmp profile singly (still a bit unstable) and dual (definitely doesn't like it) and it's not very keen. With both sticks in it reports 4gb correctly, just freezes and bsod.

Okay, then it is most likely just not enough voltage. With the XMP enabled make sure the DIMM voltage is at 1.56 and also look for a setting in your BIOS for QPI voltage. It should be set at a minimum of 1.35v. That would be your memory controller voltage. I suspect the XMP profile isn't setting it high enough for your CPU. Save the changes and re-run your tests.

I've built plenty of machines over the years but never had the hassle which I've had with this one. I don't care about overclocking and usually go for mid range, decent value kit. First Asus board I've ever used - and last; vague as anything about everything!

It could be a million things. It could be picky memory, it may be a picky MB. It could even be a weak memory controller in your CPU. I wouldn't be so quick to throw any of them out with the bath water just yet.

In the BIOS; when XMP profile is selected the DIMM voltage sets to 1.66v; there is no setting for QPI voltage but one for QPI frequency.

I appreciate that it could well be anything at fault; the absence of any definitive tests that can be run precludes me from finding the culprit. Swapping components is not feasible. If it will work stably with a single memory module, I would be happy enough. It works well enough with a single stick of 2Gb.

I've followed your instructions and enabled XMP with both Dimms installed. I reduced the dimm voltage to 1.56v and set the IMC voltage to 1.36 (as the increments are 0.02v).

I've run Memtest for 4 passes without errors, but was concerned at the cpu temperature which reached 90 degrees C at some points. CPUIDs hardware monitor also reports the core temps averaging 50 degrees C at idle - normally the temps are 40. I only have a stock Intel fan/cooler fitted.

Well thats good news and bad news. It seems stable at that setting but the stock cooler isn't going to cut it.

I would go ahead and reduce the the speed to 1333mhz with DIMM voltage at 1.55v and try setting the IMC to 1.25. Lets see if that will get you stable at that speed and get your temps down too. But the fact that it is stable or passes memtest at those settings just reaffirms that it is a BIOS setting.

No sorry. For 1333mhz you will need to disable the XMP profile. With it active it's going to change the memory divider and why your getting a choice for 1280mhz.

Just disable XMP and leave your voltages where they are at.

But yes, the temps are better. Not great, but better. I'm wondering if your original stability wasn't because of heat. With the XMP profile active your temps would have been too high for a stock cooler.

Sorry about my lack of knowledge; I've never really adjusted any settings before; usually everything works fine at standard settings!

I'm just running memtest and so far no errors.

Stability wasn't there with both memory modules fitted and XMP not selected.

Sorry about my lack of knowledge; I've never really adjusted any settings before; usually everything works fine at standard settings!

No worries. Thats what we are here for. But yes most of the time things work well at default settings. But you do get some hardware combinations that just need a little arm twisting.;):

2 passes of Memtest without errors; idle temp 47 degrees C.

Thats awesome. Your temps are within a "normal" range . Still a bit high though. I would consider getting rid of the stock cooler and get your self a decent aftermarket cooler to get your temps down a little more. You should really be idling around the mid 30's with your system and no overclock. That would also allow you to run your memory at 1600mhz without the temps skyrocketing....Something to think about though. :)

I'm extremely grateful for all your help. At last, all the hardware working.

If I get myself a decent cooler and get the idle temps down, as you say to the mid 30s, do I then go back to the XMP profile and set the IMC to 1.35 or just the XMP profile?

If I get myself a decent cooler and get the idle temps down, as you say to the mid 30s, do I then go back to the XMP profile and set the IMC to 1.35 or just the XMP profile?

Yes, you can and yes, you would se3t the IMC to 1.35v with XMP enabled.

I'm awful glad to help you out and get you going and saved you from a needless RMA.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

• 3 months later...

Installed a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler instead of the stock one, which brings the idle temps down to 36/37 degs C. Things pretty much ran OK with XP Pro. Installed Windows 7 Pro and stability went out of the window. BSODs galore; programs crashing; data loss. Took out one of the memory sticks and lo and behold, stability returns - no problems whatsoever with 2Gb !

Should I take up the RMA with Corsair or ask them to replace my 2x 2GB with a single 4Gb module?

Fed up to the back teeth with the problems with this MB and memory.

Archived