Corsair Community

TWINX1024-3200C2PT WinXP, NF7-S v.20 moboard - blue screen issues

jsbieber2

Ram Guy, My brother recently had me order some corsair memory... the model listen above. I have installed it into my machine (mobo is N7F-S v2.0 supt, dual channel) it runs as dual channel and I have two paired mem chips for a total of 1GB of RAM. My problem is this, I'm now getting blue screens in WinXP... there is no rhyme or reason, it could be when I load a game, it could be when I'm install an application. The blue screen usually mentions turning off BIOS mem caching (which I did do) and shadow mem caching. I have the timings set at 2.5-3-3-6 per what my brother told me and what I've found on your website... the voltage is running at 2.8 right now, I was running it at 2.6, getting blue screens quicker at 2.6, upped it to 2.7, they slowed down... 2.8, even slower yet... I don't want to push the voltage any higher until I find out if this really is the source of the problem, I'm running an AMD Althon XP 3200+ (400 MHZ FSB) .. Let me know if you have any suggestions... also the CPU FSB/RAM ratio is set it Auto... I have several options to choose from, neither my brother know I what to set it at manually. The RAM and Processor both should run fine at 400 MHZ FSB.... this is what the ratio options are: 3/3, 3/4, 4/4, 4/5, 5/5, 5/6... and then AUTO is an option and BY SPD (By Speed?) Please help! Thank you... looking forward to a response.

• Corsair Employee
I would suggest that we test them one up with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and lets make sure one is not failing! If you do find one is failing please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace them both!

Well Ram Guy, I ran Memtest 3.1a via a Floppy... one each individual RAM module. Both had similiar results, several thousand errors... just about 5500 total. I ran full tests. I would imagine they are bad. Although they run enough for me to have the machine up and going for an hour or two at times and then just give blue screens. I just received them on FRIDAY via ZipZoomFly.com and I think I can return them there if that is per your suggestion. I really am bumming because I don't have any spare DDR so I'll be out of a functional machine for a while. How long does the RMA process with Corsair take? If you want more details on the Memtest to confirm if they truly are bad please let me know. Test 8 was the main test where both modules failed horribly. Test 5 & 6 yielded errors as well. Let me know... thanks.

Pulled this from MEMTESTS website: "There have been numerous reports of errors with only tests 5 and 8 on Athlon systems. Often the memory works in a different system or the vendor insists that it is good. In these cases the memory is not necessarily bad but is not able to operate reliably at Athlon speeds. Sometimes more conservative memory timings on the motherboard will correct these errors. In other cases the only option is to replace the memory with better quality, higher speed memory. Don't buy cheap memory and expect it to work with an Athlon! On occasion test 5/8 errors will occur even with name brand memory and a quality motherboard. These errors are legitimate and should be corrected." Interesting... thoughts?

Ram Guy, I changed my timings to the default Optimal NF7-S v.20 motherboard settings as well as voltage set at default 2.6. 3-3-3-8 (starting with CAS being 3) I reran MEMTEST86 via Floppy, passed all tests. This was paired however. I'm going to run some games (MMORPG called Star Wars Galaxies) to see if I can get my machine to Blue Screen, the game is very memory intensive and last time I ran it, my machine Blue Screened within about 1 minute. I'll let you know, any an all replies are most appreciated.

Okay, voltage at 2.6 and timings at 3-3-3-8... everything runs fine, no Blue Screens... I ran Galaxies for about 45 minutes and put it through some serious mem loading tests. Still I'd like to run my timings at what this ram is rated for. Is this enough to warrant an RMA? Let me know what you think... I may tweak the timings down to 2.5-3-3-7 and see what I can get it to run stable at.

Archived