Corsair Community

New VX550 has low,constrant buzzing noise

Serj

I just got all the components for my new build and I did the "out of the case" testing with only basic parts hooked up. Everything booted up just fine but a few mins into it, i heard a very low but constant buzzing noise (kind of sounds like buzzing noise from the big transformer in my store but alot lower volume-wise). I couldnt hear it right away because my heatsink fan was at maximum speed. Is this something i shouldn't worry about or a defect? I currently own the hx620 and very happy with it.

Edit:I just read around and attempted to stop the fan for 2-3 seconds, and it seems that the noise is in fact from the fan. I have no idea what it is touching but it isn't the grill, because i removed it and still got the noise. Im guessing it's from the fan motor(unless it is touching something on the other side, maybe the clear plastic inside which i have no idea what it's there for)

I got my psu mid-february from buy.com because the price was right and there was a rebate. I also wanted to know, in case of RMA do i wait on the rebate or send it ASAP. Also would I get a new psu or a refurbished one (since i purchased this 10days ago and just hooked it up to the wall)

thanks in advance...

new PC specs:

CPU: e8400

Mobo: Abit IP35-Pro

PSU: VX550

HSF: Zalman 9700nt

Graphic card: evga 8800gts 512mb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have already removed the grill completely, still the noise is there.

and also regarding the RMA, would i be replaced with a new unit or a refurbished? and how does the shipping fees work for the RMA in my situation, since its a brand new unit?

and regarding the rebate, what should i do about that? Thank you!

You pay for shipping form your end, and Corsair pays to send you your replacement.

If you haven't sent the rebate yet, send it as soon as you can. There is a deadline, and if you wait for the replacement you may miss it. The RMA process shouldn't be affected as they have nothing to do with each other.

and also regarding the RMA, would i be replaced with a new unit or a refurbished?

Typically it's a new unit, but even if it's a refurb it's still going to be tested and burned in just like a new one with a full warranty.

and how does the shipping fees work for the RMA in my situation, since its a brand new unit?

Generally you are required to pay for return shipping costs to Corsair, and in turn they pay to ship it back to you. It would be the same if you returned it to buy.com. However you could always call the Corsair RMA dept. and see if other arrangements can be made.

and regarding the rebate, what should i do about that? Thank you!

Cut the UPC from the Corsair box that you have now and complete the rebate.

thank you guys, i will call right now and see if i can do anything

edit: I was just contacted by buy.com and it seems they send me a ship label, so they wouldn't charge me anything, but I think i will lose the rebate that way since they do care about the upc. Hopefully corsair comes thru better, so far they have been too good for me.

i just did, but i wasn't given much options i think there is only 1. I pay shipping, you guys keep it for 72hrs, and send a new one. It will take a week or more it seems like. I might have to stick with buy.com since they sent me a ups label but i hope i get the replacement before the rebate deadline arrives, that's my concern regarding that process.

i just did, but i wasn't given much options i think there is only 1. I pay shipping, you guys keep it for 72hrs, and send a new one. It will take a week or more it seems like. I might have to stick with buy.com since they sent me a ups label but i hope i get the replacement before the rebate deadline arrives, that's my concern regarding that process.

Ask them if they can give you a new receipt for the new PSU.

but that would void the rebate since it wasn't purchased within the promotion time...

called the etailer, and they said the rebate shouldn't be affected because of the defect. I think i will get the item before the deadline since me and and center is in california. I just hope the replacement will be flawless *finger crossed*

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I did yes, i even removed the entire fan grill, it seemed to be from the fan motor itself.

By the way I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but if i get a replacement of this psu from the etailer, would i have to apply to the current rebate (relating to the ship date of replacement) or I'm stuck to the old rebate form the original purchase date because my time on it is almost out. I have had great success with my previous rebates from corsair so I wouldn't worry much but I just wanted to be sure regarding this specific situation.

Replaced the fan in my PSU.... yeah it voided the warranty but it took no time to do it and only cost me 15$ for a better fan then the orginal. The stock ADDA fans are garbage.

That same "garbage fan" is also used in the HX series which has received numerous praises from reputable reviewers, in addition to thousands of end users, for being one of the quietest psu's on the market. While some people have noise issues they are in the minority.

Quoting SPCR

This is extremely quiet performance, the best we've encountered from any PSU.

ok this is just sad. I just received the replacement from the etailer, and this one has the buzzing noise as well. This is for sure a different unit, it came sealed and all. Corsair what's wrong with the quality control on these guys, how about recalling these and replacing the fans, since over 50% of the posts in the power supply forums are about the vx550 and most are about fan problems. Very disappointed with this unit compared to my hx620 which is silent. I know these are budget power supplies compared to the hx620, but i wouldn't pay less for more noise... wasted almost a month for nothing

ok this is just sad. I just received the replacement from the etailer, and this one has the buzzing noise as well. This is for sure a different unit, it came sealed and all.

Perhaps it's a Buy.com thing? The one I got from them didn't come in all that big of a box, and was surrounded by crumpled paper, as I recall.

I came here because I have the same problem (it's about six weeks old, and it has had the film projector noise the whole time, but I've quieted the rest of the system down where it's far and away the loudest thing in the system, so I have to do something), and am finally leaning towards RMAing, because if a fan swap didn't solve the problem for whatever reason, I'd be OOL.

(In my case, loosening the fan grill screws did nothing, stopping the fan gets rid of the noise, and there doesn't seem to anything rubbing against or coming off the fan)

nope it isn't a buy.com thing only, i have purchased a unit from a nearby retail store on friday, and it had the same problem. Exchanged it at the retail store and the other one has the same problem yet again. So that is 4 out of 4 with the same problem...

• Corsair Employee

NTNgod, Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

serj, How loud is the noise you are hearing, from how far away from the PSU can you hear the noise? If you would like to try to get one directly from us, please fill out the form above, and give our customer service a call at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com. Let them know that you have replaced the unit before and they should be able to work with you to get it replaced.

nope it isn't a buy.com thing only, i have purchased a unit from a nearby retail store on friday, and it had the same problem.

Yikes!

Buy.com's packaging did seem a little underwhelming for something fairly heavy and fairly small (using crumpled paper, when the Corsair box - which doesn't have much padding itself - seemed likely to shift during transit due to weight, seemed like a bad idea to me), so it had crossed my mind shipping possibly might have taken a toll on the unit.

NTNgod, Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I already put in an RMA request through the Tech Support Xpress setup late last night, shortly after I posted in this thread, so I've gotten the ball rolling...

• Corsair Employee
I already put in an RMA request through the Tech Support Xpress setup late last night, shortly after I posted in this thread, so I've gotten the ball rolling...

If you would like to post your case number here, I will get your case approved ASAP!

RMA Approved, you should receive confirmation shortly!

Thanks for the quick response!

(Does EVERYTHING go back - including power cord, etc.? Stickies in other subforums didn't seem to mention that, unless I missed it)

Archived