Corsair Community

Ram Technical Question

PARADOX-RED

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][B]I just purchased an Intel D875PBZ Motherboard. The Intel Web Site indiicates that I can use PC3200 RAM. Looking at the Corsair Web Site, it shows the technical specs for their TwinX1024-3200XLPRO RAM. I want to use this RAM, but am confused by one of their specs. The spec includes the statement .... Test Voltage: 2.75V. The RAM spec for my Motherboard indicates that it takes 2.5V RAM. Does the Corsair spec mean that the highest voltage that the RAM was tested at was 2.75, or does it mean that is actually the voltage that the RAM requires to run? If that is the case, I couldn't use that RAM with my Motherboard. Thank you for your assistance![/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]I just purchased an Intel D875PBZ Motherboard. The Intel Web Site indiicates that I can use PC3200 RAM. Looking at the Corsair Web Site, it shows the technical specs for their TwinX1024-3200XLPRO RAM. I want to use this RAM, but am confused by one of their specs. The spec includes the statement .... Test Voltage: 2.75V. The RAM spec for my Motherboard indicates that it takes 2.5V RAM. Does the Corsair spec mean that the highest voltage that the RAM was tested at was 2.75, or does it mean that is actually the voltage that the RAM requires to run? If that is the case, I couldn't use that RAM with my Motherboard. Thank you for your assistance![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

That is for the most part a recommended voltage and in the case of TwinX probably also what it is tested at. Although it can be run at a lower voltage (2.5V) the memory's timings may have to be scaled back a bit. Otherwise errors may occur. Although voltage settings for the RAM is not an option on that board setting the RAM timings are as seen [URL=ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/C3176501.pdf]here[/URL] (section 4.4.9). One thing to look at though is that most high performance RAM out there is made to run at a higher voltage, especially that which is ment to be run in dual channel. Hope this helps, good luck.

YoueatLard is correct, but I'm worried that without being able to set a higher voltage, you'd have problems running that RAM to it's full ability, especially with those great latencies. You can always try it, but keep your fingers crossed. For rock-hard stability, the Intel boards are great, but for performance, I'd shy away from them because of the lack of BIOS configurability. PLUR CK

Archived