Corsair Community

Issue on RAM upgrade - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (2 x 8GB kit)

hhje

I have just set up a system few days ago. Below are the parts information:

Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-A

CPU: Intel I7 8700K

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB kit (2x8GB) CMW16GX4M2C3200C16

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo NVME SSD

VGA: Asus GTX1060

After using the system for a few days, I noticed 16GB RAM is kinda tight. So I proceed to buy another 16GB kit (2x8GB, CMW16GX4M2C3200C16) and installed to my motherboard. I thought that was a straightforward process, however it turns out to be very wrong. For illustration purpose, let's name the ram modules as such:

old ram 1: OR1 (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16)

old ram 2: OR2 (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16)

new ram 1: NR1 (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16)

new ram 2: NR2 (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16)

Originally, OR1 and OR2 are installed in DIMM 1 and 3. So I pop NR1 and NR2 into DIMM 2 and 4. Upon booting, the DRAM light on the Z370 motherboard light up and refuse to boot. Then, I proceed to remove NR1 and NR2 and the system manage to boot into BIOS. I checked the memory voltage is 1.35V, which I think is correct for these RAM modules. Then below are the troubleshooting that I have done:

- 4 RAM modules all installed: Boot fail

- NR1 on DIMM2, NR2 on DIMM4 (16GB, old ram not installed): system boot success

- single module troubleshoot, e.g. NR1 on DIMM 1/2/3/4 etc: system boot success

- NR1 on DIMM 1, OR1 on DIMM 3: Boot fail

- NR1 on DIMM 2, OR1 on DIMM 4: Boot fail

- OR1 on DIMM 1, NR1 on DIMM 3: Boot fail

- OR1 on DIMM 2, NR1 on DIMM 4: Boot fail

- NR2 on DIMM 1, OR2 on DIMM 3: Boot fail

- NR2 on DIMM 2, OR2 on DIMM 4: Boot fail

- OR2 on DIMM 1, NR2 on DIMM 3: Boot fail

- OR2 on DIMM 2, NR2 on DIMM 4: Boot fail

- NR1 on DIMM 1, NR2 on DIMM 3: Boot success

- NR1 on DIMM 2, NR2 on DIMM 4: Boot success

- OR1 on DIMM 1, OR2 on DIMM 3: Boot success

- OR1 on DIMM 2, OR2 on DIMM 4: Boot success

I have even tried to arrange the 4 ram modules in the ascending and descending order of their serial number, yet still failed to boot. I am pretty running out of idea on how to continue.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Do let me know if I have missed out any information, would be more than happy to provide.

Did you set the ram back to the default settings first, before trying to change anything? All DDR4 RAM should run at 1.2V/2133Mhz. That's the DDR4 spec. And the CPU only officially supports 2666Mhz.

Get that working and THEN try to overclock to the higher speed. Note that it is an overclock, so it may not work with all CPUs or all motherboards. And yes, it's quite likely that an overclock that works on 2 sticks fails on 4.

Did you set the ram back to the default settings first, before trying to change anything? All DDR4 RAM should run at 1.2V/2133Mhz. That's the DDR4 spec. And the CPU only officially supports 2666Mhz.

Get that working and THEN try to overclock to the higher speed. Note that it is an overclock, so it may not work with all CPUs or all motherboards. And yes, it's quite likely that an overclock that works on 2 sticks fails on 4.

I went into BIOS, load optimised setup, made sure the RAM clock speed to 2133, voltage at 1.2V. Pop in two additional RAM, still can’t boot thou. Is there anything I missed?

I went into BIOS, load optimised setup, made sure the RAM clock speed to 2133, voltage at 1.2V. Pop in two additional RAM, still can’t boot thou. Is there anything I missed?

I'm probably being dumb, but isn't an 8700k dual channel not quad? Therefore, only 2 channels will ever be used? I've always thought this was the case but I'll happily be wrong as 4 sticks will like much nice, aesthetically.

^that's not how a memory controller works, you can even dual channel with 3DIMMS or mismatched memory sizes.

OP: Are your memory modules different revisions? Seems like you have fallen into the low percent that runs into memory compatibility issues, that's why you can get 4/8 DIMM kits.

The only thing left is test is with another memory module or CPU.

^that's not how a memory controller works, you can even dual channel with 3DIMMS or mismatched memory sizes.

OP: Are your memory modules different revisions? Seems like you have fallen into the low percent that runs into memory compatibility issues, that's why you can get 4/8 DIMM kits.

The only thing left is test is with another memory module or CPU.

Interestingly, one set is 4.31 and one set is 5.32. Manage to change one set and it’s working now.

• 4 months later...

Hey HHJE I'm in a very similar position to you, I have 32gb of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB kit (2x8GB), and it won't enable dual channel and as such windows reports all 32gb but only 16 gb as "usable".

I checked the revisions and they are off by a .1

When you say you switched them, are you saying you exchanged them with the vendor or you physically moved them around?

Cheers,

-ML

Archived