Corsair Community

MacBook Pro 4.1 - Speed performance?

Hi,

I am using a mid-2008 MacBook Pro so that's a 4.1 version with a Hitachi Travelstar 200 GB 7200 rpm drive. To have a bit more power when mixing audio, I am seriously thinking of replacing the existing drive with a nice P256 and convert the "old" one in a still pretty good external drive. Now I am staring at the benchmark tests with the P256 of yours, and think the drive is like 2-2.5 times faster than the Travelstar, but was wondering if one of you guys could tell me in layman terms what kind of improvement in performance I could expect, just roughly. Recording and mixing many audio tracks requires a lot of drive I/O...

• Corsair Employee
I dont know that any one can answer that question, but here is what you can do to get an un-biased opinion. First run some software on your system to test or benchmark the HDD and if you can test it as a second none Boot able Drive would be best to know the real performance then search for the P256 drive in Google and add the key word Reviews then you will get a better idea of the potential performance difference.

Thanks for the advice, RAM GUY

Though after hours of searching :sigh!: to find a suitable benchmark program with no satisfying results, I have to give it a rest and perhaps just go for it, in a while. Something for autumn... hopefully by then the prices have dropped a bit.

All the best, CP

• Corsair Employee
Keep checking the apple forums I am suire there will be more about this as more people move to SSD, but SSD will out perform any notebook HDD on the market even our 64 Gig SSD is about 100MBPs write and all of the NB HDD's I have seen do about 30-50 MBps max.

SSD drives are definitely the way to go, and I was so happy to see that Corsair was able to produce a drive with such great specs. I am sure when the word is spread around in the Mac scene, and this or even bigger upcoming drives are bought and installed by more Mac users it will be much easier for me to find out about the speed advantage.

So when is the 1 TB out :biggrin:

I have to admit, I can still use a bit more than 250 GB, 500 or 750 (probably 512 and 768 GB) will get my attention even more.

Although you do not see it when installed, I like the nice sturdy drive case! 10/10 Corsair!!!

should out perform norm desktop hard disks as well, the S128 i got now just works far better then the hard disk i was using before i can reboot my pc in under an min now, thats desktop start reboot back to desktop :) i can also open programs up soon as i can see me desktop, with WD black hdd i had to wait an little bit so me program that norm load up have finished doing there stuff on top of that i had superfetch (that in the end turned off as it was making the problem worse)

i would of gone for the P256 but still to much for it very fast and the reviews of it out perform the vertex drives and its cheaper as well (p256 is less)

page 8 below is read, page 9 is write (both have IOP and IO and latency) id read most of that from the start after page 10 SSDs just wipe the floor regarding to an hdd

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=18468&page=8

JM vs corsair, IOP, IO and latency, this one bit better as you can see the all the results in the program, thay did not compare it to an hard disk in that review bit pointless the P256 or any samsung based is going to walk over an HDD

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/949/5/

there are more but google best friend (search for P256)

i have attached some pics to the other thread thats related to the S128 (intresting speeds)

1coreread.thumb.png.b8ca3990cd11b5f38c88f6e14c06d6f0.png

2corerrandomaccess.thumb.png.ef52f1485919eab8ee0a92fd4df066b5.png

• Corsair Employee

Thanks for posting that leexgx and your opinions.

And it is hard to say when the size will go to 1 Tera Byte, but I am sure it will come quickly especially if Windows 7 is a success and is a Memory and HDD hog

i useing windows 7 now its Far better on the ram and hard disk side (it stops using the HDD far sooner then vista as it seems to keep hammering the hard disk 5 mins after something has been installed some times)

i got an tablet pc and i loaded it onto it (got an 1.6ghz with 1.2gb ram) and for the most part it works very well (to bad its old its using an 855 IGP so no drivers ish need to force load them) and it works very well, the screen was detected After install so could use the touch screen pen on it very good the mouse even auto fades away after 5 secs

also loaded it onto an laptop i have 1.7ghz 512mb and an broken hard disk that has been replaced (the Click Of Death) even on that drive before it died it worked very smooth, opened a lot of pages and did stress it an little but programs still respond far sooner then what an vista system would have, i find windows vista unusable on 512mb systems

very happy with it (s128)

Archived