Corsair Community

ML120 Pro louder than ML120 Pro RGB??

JG  Luxe

Is there a difference between the 2 fans other than the RGB capability?

I just got a Corsair 280X that has (2) LL120's and I purchased 4 ML120 Pro RGB fans (2 to replace the fans that come on the H100 and 2 for the bottom of the case)

Decided to add an extra fan in the 2nd compartment of the 280X just to get some more air flowing (went with a regular ML120) and I have all the fans plugged into the same fan hub, Without the ML120 it's like a slight hum really quiet, with the ML120 its way louder..

I also just searched it on the product page while typing this and I just realize the ML120 Pro is 37db and the ML120 Pro RGB is 25db

So my question again, What's the difference between the 2 (well, 3 fans) other than the LED's?

Because the ML120 maxes at 2400 rpm and the ML120-RGB tops out at 1600 rpm. Otherwise the same blade, so if you cut the speed down to match, the sound levels should as well.

How exactly can I do that? They're all PWM and are connected to a PWM fan hub, which means they should've all been at the same speed, shouldn't they?

If the PWM controller effectively functions on % of maximum, then you will see different speeds for fans with different limits. Most of these PWM hubs need a control source and that is usually a line back to a motherboard PWM header. Those are almost always % control.

Quick solution is to move it off the set to another PWM header. If that is not possible, then you may want to look at alternatives. A 2400 rpm fan is overkill for your purpose. A nice 800 rpm PWM fan will quietly do what’s needed.

If the PWM controller effectively functions on % of maximum, then you will see different speeds for fans with different limits. Most of these PWM hubs need a control source and that is usually a line back to a motherboard PWM header. Those are almost always % control.

Quick solution is to move it off the set to another PWM header. If that is not possible, then you may want to look at alternatives. A 2400 rpm fan is overkill for your purpose. A nice 800 rpm PWM fan will quietly do what’s needed.

Ah, okay. I'll just unplug it from the controller and have it connected directly into a header on the mobo. I don't feel like spending more money on a different fan as I just bought the case, 4 ML120 Pro RGBs, the ML120 Pro, a bunch of new extensions for the PSU and the controller itself lol.

Thanks for the help!

Archived