Corsair Community

ML120 PRO RGB Lighting Issue

xunr3alx

Hello folks, I'm having some trouble and I'm hoping someone here can help. I followed the guide posted by 'Zotty' regarding the setup for LED control via iCUE. I have followed the diagram below:

XSDWsneh.png

Despite following the installation process outlined in the diagram, I am unable to control the extra ML120 PRO RGB fan installed in my computer case. iCUE sees the CommanderPro unit, and I believe it even sees the fan itself since it displays an RPM measurement, but I can't seem to adjust lighting. It currently spins without illumination.

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance.

The "extra" ML120 RGB fan? Does that mean you have 7? Is the lighting wire from the extra fan connected to your RGB Fan Hub?

No not quite, I have an H100i Platinum cooler that comes with two LED fans on it, I purchased an extra case fan (the ML120) to match it, and I may be adding more later, but for now, this is the only fan that will be installed and connected to the iCUE system.

Did you configure the Lighting Channel in iCUE? You need to do that and that is separate from the Commander Pro "seeing" the Fan RPM.

I have three devices listed on the 'Home' page of the iCUE software: the H100i cooler, the Corsair RGB RAM, and the Commander Pro. If I click on either 'Dashboard' or the 'Commander Pro' itself, I can see evidence of a fan spinning (RPM speed, voltage, etc). When I click on 'Commander Pro' specifically, I see 'Lighting Channel 1' and 'Lighting Channel 2' in the left column. I have tried to configure both with a static blue color (including going to the 'hardware lighting' tab on each one, but to no avail), but the fan does not light up despite the fact that it spins.

Would screenshots be helpful to anyone?

Ah, you don't have an RGB Fan Hub for your "extra" ML-RGB Fan. That's the issue. The RGB cable for that ML-RGB fan isn't plugged in to anything is it?

Actually I do have both. The RGB cable is plugged into the RGB Fan Hub, which is plugged into the Commander Pro, as shown in the diagram in my first post in this thread. And both items are connected properly to SATA and USB power as necessary.

OK ... my bad. Next ... did you set up the lighting channel to have a single ML-RGB fan? And make sure that the fan is in port 1 on the RGB Fan Hub.

I double checked, and the cables are set up in RGB slot 1, fan slot 1, and I even changed which USB port is used on the Commnader Pro, and that actually made things worse...

Upon boot, it detected "another" Corsair H100i cooler, so now there's two in the dashboard, and I have no idea how I can removed the "2nd" cooler. And my case fan still isn't lighting up. I reverted the USB cable back to the other slot on the Commander Pro to get my H100i lighting effects back.

Sorry about the delay again, 2019 has been pretty busy for me so far.

This is a picture of the RGB hub. The hub itself is connected to the Commander Pro, a SATA power connector (on the other side of the computer case wedged behind the right door), and plugged into it is an RGB cable, of which half the label should be visible in the photo.

https://i.ibb.co/Jt82W9M/20190228-153840.jpg

This is a picture of the Commander Pro. It is connected by another SATA power connector, also located behind the door of the right side of the computer case, it is also connected to one of the USB ports on the motherboard, and the power cable for the fan it plugged into the Commander Pro.

https://i.ibb.co/CVJMZkz/20190228-153856.jpg

Both of these devices are currently sitting on the bottom of the computer case unsecured, as I didn't want to use the adhesive stickers from Corsair to permanently fasten them in place until I had everything working properly. They are gently held in place by some of the wiring for other components of the computer, and I am always careful to ensure that these devices don't come into contact with the motherboard, graphics card, or any other device. The computer's cable management is poor compared to a lot of you guys who I'm sure build PCs all the time. I once again will be making adjustments and improvements once everything is in working order. For now I just need the PC to function, which it does. The cables on the other side of the computer case are mostly secured together either with zip ties or twist ties.

To recap, the Commander Pro seems to work just fine, as iCUE sees it. The fan itself also functions and spins properly, the fan's speed can be read and adjusted, but it is not something I can apparently adjust the color of for some reason. It does not illuminate whatsoever. If I could even get a rainbow pattern to show up I'd be ecstatic since it would likely mean I'm making progress.

If you need photos of the SATA connectors or the USB plug on the motherboard, let me know. I didn't bother the first time around because it's a pain in the you-know-what to constantly unplug this thing, take it apart, put it back together, and then reconnect everything. I can't count how many times I've done that since I first built this thing due to the need to make minor adjustments.

Thanks again in advance.

OK, that all looks good. We actually had someone recently that had a mis-wired cable from Corsair.

Since you only have the one fan, we can't tell if it's the fan hub or the fan, unfortunately. It could be either. Right now, the best we can tell you is to either exchange at your retailer or contact support for a replacement. :(

And to make sure - there's no Molex to SATA adapters in the picture, right?

Thanks for the reply.

No, I actually haven't found any molex cables native to this build at all, which is a bit weird since that's how my previous extra case fans attached, granted that computer was something I built in 2013, and those were primitive illuminated fans with only a back-lit blue color so things have undoubtedly changed since then. There may be an adapter buried in the box for the ASUS motherboard I have. Everything on this PC is powered by the SATA connectors or some other basic PSU cable (6+2, 24 pin ATX, etc), with no attachments to my recollection.

As far as the fan itself is concerned, I bought it from Newegg, and I believe the 30 day return period has passed (I will double check my receipt). Though it may not be returnable anyway, as I'd also like to note, if I haven't already, that this extra case fan is attached to the case with a small amount of strong hold adhesive glue. The area where the fan sits is indeed where it is meant to be placed, and it does have holes for screws, but the front mounted Corsair H100i Platinum radiator blocks these screw holes from being used to properly secure the fan. This would mean that I'd have to pry the fan off with a blade and remove the glue with some chemical used to remove adhesive (Goo Gone may work).

As far as the RGB hub goes, the Corsair RGB hub can only be ordered directly from Corsair unless I'm mistaken? I could not find it on Newegg. It took a long time to deliver, even with express shipping, and some of the bubble wrap surrounding the RGB hub was damaged, which I took a photo of, though the device itself seemed to be in tact. Corsair has already heard from me twice about a defective fan on the Corsair H100i CPU cooler One of the two CPU cooler fans wobbled, and I've since replaced that fan. The new one also wobbled initially, but after a breaking-in period it has stopped; Corsair Support basically said they don't know what to tell me about that, so I'm a little concerned that they won't do anything about the possibly bad RGB hub; especially if I have no way of testing it for defects and if I have to ship it back to Canada, where the package originated from.

Any thoughts? My guess is that I'll be eating the cost of a new RGB hub first, as it's less of a pain to replace, and it's cheaper, whereas removing the fan is going to involve some more work and is more expensive.

Before you go replacing the fan hub ... you have ML-RGB fans from the H100i Platinum cooler, right? Those are working yes?

If so, we can use those to determine if it's the fan or the fan hub. Try putting this fan on a known working header for the Platinum cooler. I don't know why that didn't occur to me before.

As for the fan hub ... yeah, Corsair.com seems to be the only place to get it. And the shipping costs as much as the device, which is crazy. If I buy just one from them, I wind up paying more in tax and shipping than for the device itself.

Archived