Corsair Community

VoyagerAir shuts down from time to time

Vvb

Hi guys,

Got my 1Tb 3 days ago and testing it since then. I use it in a car twice a day for 90 minutes and stream video to my iPad (.m4v). Occasionally it completely shuts down. Not wi-fi cuts, but actually switches off (all lights down etc, even though sliders are in the same "on" positions) --> I have to manually re-switch it on. There is no real pattern - sometimes it is 1 switch off in 45 minutes, sometimes 3 in 10 minutes. I haven't heard that anyone had this issue --> does this mean I got faulty device and now need to return it?

• Corsair Employee
It would seem that may be the case, if its less that 30 days old you might try the reseller and see if they will replace it. Or please use the link on the left and request an RMA and please post the case number as I would like to have that unit tested internally.

Hi guys,

Got my 1Tb 3 days ago and testing it since then. I use it in a car twice a day for 90 minutes and stream video to my iPad (.m4v). Occasionally it completely shuts down. Not wi-fi cuts, but actually switches off (all lights down etc, even though sliders are in the same "on" positions) --> I have to manually re-switch it on. There is no real pattern - sometimes it is 1 switch off in 45 minutes, sometimes 3 in 10 minutes. I haven't heard that anyone had this issue --> does this mean I got faulty device and now need to return it?

I sent back a unit to scan reporting the same problem (1tb Version) and my replacement has the same problem. IMO this is not a unit problem but a firmware problem. would be nice if Corsair got moving on a firmware update as these units have toooooo many problems.

It would seem that may be the case, if its less that 30 days old you might try the reseller and see if they will replace it. Or please use the link on the left and request an RMA and please post the case number as I would like to have that unit tested internally.

Now I've tested it for more than a week, here is a summary:

• Device never shuts down at home
    It continues to shut down during my car trips --> once every morning and evening;
    I wasn't able to identify the pattern of shut downs --> even connecting it to car power socket didn't solve a problem. However, during my morning trips it shuts down in the same location over and over again --> mystery;
    I will travel soon on my holidays and see how it goes there --> will keep the device if no major issues

• 3 weeks later...

If the hard drive gets bumped, it will shut down. It's a built in safety anti-shock mechanism so the hard drive does not get damaged.

It wont shut down at home sitting still on a table, but it will shut down if jostled ,such as in a car on a bumpy road.

• 11 months later...

I have got exactly the same problem. When driving in the car the voyager air shutdown randomly. At home it works fine.

I bought the device for my children to watch media if we travel a long distance by car. But this is currently not possible. So why is there such an sensitive safety anti shock mechanism for an hard disk especially designed for travelling? It is even shipped with an car power adapter!

Do anyone of you experience the same problem when driving in the car?

Is the there a way to reduce the sensitivity of the anti shock mechanism?

Lars

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a 1TB Voyager Air which I (try to) use in the car for a 2 hour commute each week, streaming music via dlna to my phone. The drive randomly shuts down although the switches have not been moved. The drive is powered from the car so is not running out of battery.

I disagree that the level of shock and vibration in a car should be enough to cause this. I've often had the drive sitting on the passenger seat where it is quite well cushioned; in any case, laptop drives often experience much worse than this with no apparent problem.

This is frustrating because otherwise this is a very useful product.

My device is about 8 months old.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived