Corsair Community

MSI (AMD890FX) 890FXA-GD70 Mainboard Memory

Zydor

I am looking for Corsair 1333mhz DDR3 Dual Channel 4Gb memory to run on a new MSI (AMD890FX) 890FXA-GD70 motherboard with an AMD 1090T CPU. The board is not listed on the memory configurator, probably because its relatively new.

Depending on price I will either get 2 x 4Gb (total 8Gb) leaving two slots free for more later, or fill all slots with 4 x 4Gb (total 16gb).

I am having trouble sourcing this with definitive information, and I am very cautious about getting the wrong memory - it will be an expensive mistake.

My initial thoughts are for the Corsair AMD Phenom II tuned memory. If I am right, which modules listed there do I buy? (there is more than one type of 4Gb 1333Mhz shown, and I am not sure of the difference in designation (eg between those ending "9" or "9A" for example).

Any definitive assist would be greatly appreciated, sourcing the right memory for the board is getting frustrating and its holding up the project.

Regards

Zy

My initial thoughts are for the Corsair AMD Phenom II tuned memory. If I am right, which modules listed there do I buy? (there is more than one type of 4Gb 1333Mhz shown, and I am not sure of the difference in designation (eg between those ending "9" or "9A" for example).

9 = 2x2GB Modules

9A = 4GB Single Modules

My recommendation is the purchase the 2x9A, so you can utilize all 4 slots for 16GB in future and effectively run 2x4GB=8GB for dual channel.

EDIT: If not, getting the CMD8GX3M4A1333C7 will get you Dominators, filling all 4 slots for 8GB and the RAMs work at a lower latency.

Also, getting the CMG4GX3M2B1600C7 will get you Dominator GTs, but you need 2x to fill all 4 slots for 8GB and the RAMs work at a lower latency.

That is, if you overclock. (:

• 3 months later...

I have the same question, but bought using the "others bought" selections. I picked up 2x4gb (8gb total) of:

Corsair XMS3 8 GB 1333 MHz PC3-10666 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

I have the MSI 890FXA-GD70 and the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban.

Will that RAM work with this mobo and CPU combo? The RAM box says it's for Intel Core i5's.

I'm still in the return window, so if I need to swap this for something else advice is most welcome. Many thanks.

Be advised that you should purchase ONE tested, matched, compatible RAM kit of the total RAM quantity you want as mixing of RAM - even RAM of the same part number - is not recommended nor guaranteed to work per the Corsair Memory Upgrade Guide link in my signature.

The CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 is both Intel i3/i5/i7 and AMD Phenom II approved.

Any of the Phenom II Corsair RAM at the link below will work.

http://www.corsair.com/products/phenomii/default.aspx

Archived