Corsair Community

BSOD CMD4GX3M2A1600C9 / Gigabyte 880GA & AMD 1055T

Jakeyjake

Hello, this is my first post here so please be gentle.

I recently purchased a new system (see drop down) and I'm getting random BSOD frequently with all sorts of bccodes.... 50, 34, 109, 1000007e,7f, 1e, 24 to mention a few.

I've run windows memory diagnostics numerous times and on some instances nothing is found as faulty, where others show problems.

The ram is stated as 'for i3/5/7' although the retailer said there would be no issues running it with an AMD 1055T/880GA combo.

Is this true? Have I been fobbed off?

The compatibility guide shows the CMP4GX3M2A1600C8 as compatible but not the CMD4/C9, I can't even find any reference of the CMD4/9C on Corsairs site.

Is there a compatabilty issue here? I'm hoping someone can help me?

Should I plead with the retailer to exchange it for the CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 kit?

Thanks a bunch,

Ant

The CMD4GX3M2A1600C9 Corsair RAM is not tested and approved for the AMD Phenom systems as you discovered. It may or may not function without issues.

If your RAM supplier would allow you to exchange it for proper Corsair tested and approved memory that would be ideal. If not you can try manually setting the memory in the BIOS to 9-9-9-24 2T @ 1.65V @ 1333 MHz. which is the max RAM frequency that AMD officially supports on the AM3 socket CPUs.

Note: The CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 is also NOT tested and approved for AMD Phenom systems. See the link below for current Corsair Phenom tested and approved memory options.

http://www.corsair.com/products/phenomii/default.aspx

The TW3X4G1600C9D would be fine.

Thanks greatly trackrat.

I've returned the incompatible ram and I'm about to order the TW3X4G1600C9D kit. I know Corsairs site says it is compatible, does that mean guaranteed to run at the lower 1333mhz @ 9-9-9-24, or just 1600mhz @ 9-9-9-24? I ask as AMDs chipsets are limited to 1333mhz.

Thanks.

Wired has it correct. Corsair has tested the memory and guarantees that the memory will run at the advertised specs, but they have no means to guarantee that the rest of the hardware components in your PC will run stable when overclocked above the OE specs.

There is typically not a huge performance diff between 1333 MHz. and 1600 MHz. operation but a lot of the newer AM3 socket CPUs will run memory at 1600 MHz. reliably.

One note on the TW3X4G1600C9D memory - I see it requires 1.8V @ 1600 MHz. You may prefer the CMP4GX3M2B1600C8 if available as it only requires 1.65V @ 1600 MHz. I am currently using this memory @ 1600 MHz. per my system specs. above.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145303

Not all of the Corsair memory that has been tested and approved for AMD systems is listed on the Corsair website - unfortunately. If you search the official Corsair website for P.N. CMP4GX3M2B1600C8, you won't find it, but it exists, is AMD Phenom approved and is working fine for many people.

It's a daunting task to list all Corsair memory options/mobos, etc. but I hope Corsair finds a means to do this as it would reduce user issues, RMAs, etc.

Thanks again trackrat, I think the CMP4GX3M2B1600C8 is the one to go for. You quote it's Phenom approved, but is it Phenom X6 approved? If it is, I'll buy it.

Thanks.

Ps, I'm in the uk so thanks for the link to newegg, but I'm limited to local(ish) retailers.

Well folks, I've just purchased the CMP4GX3M2B1600C8 and it will be with me on Saturday. hopefully it will just be a plug and play.

I'm assuming my mobo will drop it down to 1333mhz at 8-8-8-24, any tips??? Just set it to 1600mhz in bios and go from there? what about the voltage, 1.6v std or set it to +0.05 @ 1.65v?

Ta.

The BIOS should set the RAM to 8-8-8-24 @ 1333 MHz. and it will also set the default DDR3 1.5 volts. It may however set it to 9-9-9-24. You should confirm/set the latencies and bump the voltage to 1.65V, then you can try 1600 MHz. These DIMMS are typical tested at 1.6V but they have a 1.65 specified voltage to compensate for voltage variations and sag in use. They are perfectly safe and guaranteed @ 1.65V.

BTW, the Phenom II series all use the same DDR3 RAM be they X4 or X6 model CPUs. The guaranteed RAM frequency is part of the CPU/socket specs. The AM2+ = 1066 MHz. and the AM3 = 1333 MHz., per the AMD Tech doc at the link below.

http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/46878.pdf

Super, thanks again trackrat, great help!

Now that's that hopefully sorted, my only other query is regarding ram slots.....

My GM-880GA-UD2H MB is of the MATX variety with 4 ram slots, numbered 1 nearest the CPU slot. I'm using a rather large Arctic Cooler 7 pro (rev 2) CPU cooler which over-hangs slot 1, can I just use slots 3 & 4 instead of 1 & 2??

Thanks.

Thanks again trackrat.

I checked the mobo booklet and it says the usual, 2 dimms can be placed in 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 although there is a note..... "If only 2 sticks are used it is advised to place them in slots 1 & 2".

Problem is I can't, my cooler is too big, yet I'm pretty sure whether 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 are populated, it wont make a difference in the slightest, as long as both channels are in use enabling dual channel.

Sounds about right?

The CMP4GX3M2B1600C8 is here, it's in and I've been rendering with mental ray all morning and no bsod as yet :biggrin:

The mobo set the ram @ 1333 / 9-9-9-24 / 1.6v so I swapped it over to 1600 / 8-8-8-24 / 1.65v.

Has anyone any idea where I can get the full group of optimal settings for the ram other than the 8-8-8-24?

Thanks.

Congrats ! Glad it's working without issues. :biggrin:

The 8-8-8-24 @ 1.65V is basically all the memory settings you need to get the max performance from this memory. You can try a BIOS command rate of 1T instead of 2T but it may not run without issues at the overclocked RAM frequency.

FWIW, I have tested 1T vs 2T, 1333 MHz. vs 1600 MHz., 9-9-9-24 and 11-11-11-30 settings and none of these changes makes much difference. The best case - which is the 8-8-8-24 1T @ 1600 MHz. was like 1.2% better than the slowest settings. So it's hardly worth risking any system stability for an ~ 1% potential system improvement, IMO.

Archived