Corsair Community

570x RGB: Would removing the PSU shroud increase airflow through the PSU?

tgm1024

Regarding the Corsair Crystal 570x RGB:

Perhaps this is a noob thing, but I'm curious as to why the shroud is there at all. Is it a looks thing? I suppose I don't mind the way my (black) PSU looks.

But also, there seems to be venting on the bottom. Does this mean that it's better to mound the PSU fan-side down, the way you would if it were oriented at the top of the case?

Or should I mount it fan-size up, so that it draws from the case like normal.

Thanks. Really curious about this new design.

It might theoretically shield some of the GPU heat away from the PSU, however it is mostly an aesthetic design element.

As for the PSU position, the large fan opening on the top/bottom is the intake. It will move the exhaust out the back where the plug and switch reside. So intake from the bottom or inside? My preference would be for the bottom where the intake air might be a few degrees cooler.

However, if I had a particularly harsh, dusty, or cat infested environment, I might flip it upside down to protect the intake with the front dust screen. The PSU is not exactly something you want to crack open and clean. If you have the tools to monitor PSU temperature, obviously try it out and see. If not, I would base your decision on environmental factors. You may also have a passive fan PSU like mine, in which case the thing never runs anyway and this whole thing is moot.

It might theoretically shield some of the GPU heat away from the PSU, however it is mostly an aesthetic design element.

As for the PSU position, the large fan opening on the top/bottom is the intake. It will move the exhaust out the back where the plug and switch reside. So intake from the bottom or inside? My preference would be for the bottom where the intake air might be a few degrees cooler.

However, if I had a particularly harsh, dusty, or cat infested environment, I might flip it upside down to protect the intake with the front dust screen. The PSU is not exactly something you want to crack open and clean. If you have the tools to monitor PSU temperature, obviously try it out and see. If not, I would base your decision on environmental factors. You may also have a passive fan PSU like fine, in which case the thing never runs anyway and this whole thing is moot.

Hey, thanks for that!

Archived