Corsair Community

I have 8 RAMs but CL shows the temp of only 4

hellorsanjeev

Hi - I'm new to this forum and I consider myself having least knowledge about the internals of computer hardware, but I built a PC few months ago.

My question is - I have 8 RAMs installed. My BIOS, OS, CPUZ everything shows 8 RAMs i.e. 64GB, but Corsair Link (latest version) as well as ASUS AI software show only 4 RAMs. Why don't these software show the "temperature" of each RAM, why only 4?

Thank you in advance. Please LMK if you need more info. I'm not sure what I provided above is sufficient enough for you guys to help.

forum.thumb.PNG.64b149dad762428f5f766ed2e6fa0bbe.PNG

Why don't these software show the "temperature" of each RAM, why only 4?

I suspect some of the DIMMs have SPD Thermal Sensors and some don't. If you look at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156067 you should see this has happened before. Further looking at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155914 sometimes CL4 has issues reporting DIMM temperatures.

If you to run my SIV utility and post .PNG screen shots of the Initial screen + Menu->Hardware->SPD Thermal + Menu->Hardware->SPD Details + Menu->Hardware->DIMMs + Menu->Hardware->Hardware Status panels I could comment further.

ASUS AI software show only 4 RAMs.

If you choose to run AI Suite you should not run any other hardware monitoring software as AI Suite fails to use locks to interlock access to the hardware. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=790272 and follow the links.

The CMK32GX4M4A2666C16 is a 32GB kit. Did you buy 1 x 64 or 2 x 32 and if the latter were they bought at the same time?

You should have posted the CPUZ SPD tab screen, but even if you had that would not really help as it does not have the same level of detail as the SIV screens.

Hello red-ray - thank you for your reply.

1. Yes! They are 32 GB kits, and I bought them at different times, around 6+ months in gap.

2. Okay! I will remove ASUS AI Links software and stick to Corsair Link. Btw, I never ran them together.

3. Sorry! I read the threads a few times but not sure if I made much out of them. I blame myself and no one else.:(:

4. I have attached all images what you asked for. Please take a look.

Again, thank you.

dimm-details.thumb.PNG.e1a3127726b93937742857d4337bb961.PNG

spd-details.thumb.PNG.6fb19337f890d6801d808c2442fa820c.PNG

624466074_spd-thermalCPUID-SPD.thumb.PNG.274c0124620609c30af02164494eea86.PNG

hardware-status.thumb.PNG.8c14c0e1fab507c50d3234e202b23907.PNG

1. Yes! They are 32 GB kits, and I bought them at different times, around 6+ months in gap.
  2. Okay! I will remove ASUS AI Links software and stick to Corsair Link. Btw, I never ran them together.
  3. Sorry! I read the threads a few times but not sure if I made much out of them. I blame myself and no one else.:(:
  4. I have attached all images what you asked for. Please take a look.

1. I expect the two kits are different revisions and only the one with the higher revision has the ability to report it's temperature so you will only ever get four temperatures reported.
  2. Even when AI Suite is not active there are some ASUS services running at could cause issues. I recommend uninstalling it.
  3. I suspect you are not the only one. Some of the answers given by Corsair "Technical" Support indicate they do not understand how DIMM temperature reporting works.
  4. These confirm #1.
  5. CL 4.2.2.27 is reporting all the motherboard fans twice. This bug was reported 10 months ago and Corsair should have fixed it by now.
  6. CL 4.2.2.27 fails to actually update the DIMM temperatures and looking at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=846919 you will see Corsair are trying to fix this.
  7. From the SPD data I would expect your memory to be running at 2800MHZ (1400MHZ Clock), but it's actually 2400MHz (1200MHZ Clock) even though the DIMM A+B/C+D voltages are 1.35 volts. Do you know why this is?

Wow... you are everywhere on this forum, Red. Cool.....

1. Hmm.... so both the kits have different version; Strange !!!! How do I verify it, and how did you confirm it? If you confirmed by the screenshots I sent you then you don't need to explain it to me. :)

2. I have removed ASUS AI completely.

3. Not 'all' fans are reported twice; only 3 of them are.

4. Regarding RAM speed, I don't know but I found this http://www.amazon.com/review/R3S3OXREYOFJXX/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00OTJZTZE&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=541966&store=pc - Any suggestions please? Or is it fine?

5. Btw, I see an old problem now - my CPU_FAN shows 0 RPM even though I can hear it running and goes up and down based on profile chosen. Any help is deeply appreciated. See screenshot - http://forum.corsair.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25135&stc=1&d=1462865037

AFter-removing-AI.thumb.PNG.300bb6cbcaa0667749b539e56d613763.PNG

1. Hmm.... so both the kits have different version; Strange !!!! How do I verify it, and how did you confirm it? If you confirmed by the screenshots I sent you then you don't need to explain it to me. :)
  2. Not 'all' fans are reported twice; only 3 of them are.
  3. Regarding RAM speed, I don't know but I found this http://www.amazon.com/review/R3S3OXREYOFJXX/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00OTJZTZE&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=541966&store=pc - Any suggestions please? Or is it fine?
  4. Btw, I see an old problem now - my CPU_FAN shows 0 RPM even though I can hear it running and goes up and down based on profile chosen. Any help is deeply appreciated.

1. When I checked [sPD Thermal] there are only 4 rather than 8 thermal sensors reported. You need to remove the DIMMs from the system and look at the revision/version printed on them. Corsair should have set the version/revision in the SPD data, but they failed to do this. They also failed to set MTS (Module Thermal Sensor) for the DIMMs that have MTS.
  2. I need to see a screen shot showing both the CL4 screen and the SIV Menu->Hardware->Cooling Status screen to sensibly comment. How many fans do you have and which fan headers are they connected to? Either way Corsair should have fixed this by now!
  3. Start a new thread in the Memory section asking about this. Attach the CPUZ [Memory] + [sPD] screen shots.
  4. The H100iGTX fan should also be reported by the motherboard as CPU Fan, but CL4 uses silly fan names of Fan #N. Does one of the motherboard fan speeds change as the H100iGTX fan changes speed? What speed does [Cooling Status] report for CPU Fan?
  5. The H100iGTX pump speed of 960 RPM seems rather too slow and below you can see it used to be 1560 RPM. Have you disabled Q-FAN control for the CPU Fan header in the BIOS? This needs to be disabled so the H100iGTX gets the constant +12 volts it needs to operate as designed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25134&d=1462857410

Hi Ray -

1. I guess you caught it right. One set of 4 DIMMs has version 4.24 while other set of 4 has version 4.23.

2. Okay! I will post this question in 'memory section'.

3. Regarding fans -

a) One big fan behind connected to CPU_OPT header.

b) 2 chassis fans.

c) 2 more fans.

d) Corsair H100iGTX 3 pin cable is connected to 4 pin CPU_FAN header.

All are connected to MB (none of them is connected to power supply)

4) I didn't have CPU Q FAN disabled. I just did (thanks!) and now my CPU FAN speed is higher than before. Also, I guess these speeds are driven by Corsair profiles i.e. quiet, balanced and performance. The screenshot attached below is when profile chosen was 'balanced'.

Based on your experience, do you think I should check anything more, in general, that most newbies ignore? If things appear fine to you then I will close this thread (Assuming that's how threads completes).

Thank you so much for "CPU Q FAN disable" tip. See the screenshot here -

attachment.php?attachmentid=25140&stc=1&d=1462949360

1533637549_cooling-statusCL.thumb.PNG.e906163fc912041957bf1d6e9bcd44dc.PNG

I just gave you a reputation.

Thank you. If you are wondering why my reputation did not change I think this is down to you having made less than 25 posts, but I am still trying to deduce the User Reputation parameters.

BTW SIV should not report Volt-B to Volt-F for you motherboard so I have fixed this in the latest SIV 5.10 Beta release.

Yeah! Although it took the reputation once but when I tried to give you another one it said that I need to distribute few of reputations to others as well before I could give you more.

Thanks for fixing SIV - I didn't know you were the author of it; great tool indeed..... but I have no idea what is Volt B to Volt F ;-)

Thanks Ray.

Yeah! Although it took the reputation once but when I tried to give you another one it said that I need to distribute few of reputations to others as well before I could give you more.

Thanks for fixing SIV - I didn't know you were the author of it; great tool indeed..... but I have no idea what is Volt B to Volt F ;-)

That is down to Reputation User Spread, but I don't know what it's value is.

I did say my SIV and I am happy to hear you feel SIV is a "great tool". I too don't know what Volt B to Volt F are. It varies from motherboard to motherboard and on your X99-Deluxe that are not used at all.

If you to run my SIV utility...

Nope! I just downloaded the new version and looks like both the problems are still there i.e. half of the RAM temperatures are shown and fan's speed are duplicated.

In the attached screenshot, you can see that CL indeed captured the right information about fans while it was initialized but after a few seconds, it duplicated the info.

See screenshot - http://forum.corsair.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25159&stc=1&d=1463044176

new-version.thumb.png.a68b55b4a63e5da19432af93074c27e1.png

Nope! I just downloaded the new version and looks like both the problems are still there i.e. half of the RAM temperatures are shown and fan's speed are duplicated.

OK, the duplicate fans are not fixed. As to why Corsair have not fixed this after a couple of years I am at a loss as to what to say.

Only 4 DIMM temperatures being reported is down to the hardware and it's impossible to any software to report all 8 DIMM temperatures as 4 of the DIMMs don't have temperature sensors. That said do you feel CL4 should report all 8 DIMMs and indicate the temperature is not available? I feel it should which is why I made SIV report the DIMM size when no temperature is available as you can see below.

I feel CL4 takes far too long to start-up.

3. When started it CL4 takes 20 -> 30 seconds before all the hardware is reported on the home screen. This is far longer than it should be. SIV took 1.67 seconds so why does CL4 take over 10 times as long? CL4 log attached.

Hi Ray - I have one more quick question about disabling CPU-Q-FAN.

I understand that if it disabled in BIOS then MB will supply a constant 12V supply but I have observed that it is mostly (or completely) driven by CL fan modes. For example -

Even though CPU Q FAN control is disabled, I can still change the fan speed based on 'performance', 'quiet' and 'balanced' modes.

My understanding is that when I choose 'quiet' profile then MB reduces the voltage to lower down the fan speed. If this is correct, why to bother disabling CPU FAN control at place? No ?

Thanks again !!!!

My understanding is that when I choose 'quiet' profile then MB reduces the voltage to lower down the fan speed. If this is correct, why to bother disabling CPU FAN control at place? No ?

No, totally incorrect. The MB always needs to supply a constant +12 volts to the H100iGTX.

The H100iGTX will adjust the fan PWM % as you change the profile.

Note the H100iGTX fans are 4-pin PWM fans rather than 3-pin voltage fans.

No, totally incorrect. The MB always needs to supply a constant +12 volts to the H100iGTX.

Understood, and I guess that's why some of the videos I watched while building the PC mentioned never to put the fan cable into MB. Instead plug it into power supply to ensure constant 12V supply.

Do you also recommend this based on your experience? I can go to store and get a connector :-)

Thanks Ray!!! There is so much to learn.

plug it into power supply to ensure constant 12V supply

It comes down to what you feel most comfortable with. I tend to feel the main issue with powering coolers from MB fan headers is the header not having fan control disabled and users not realising it needs to be disabled. I suspect the installation instructions could be clearer about this.

I prefer to use a direct PSU connection for my coolers and use a molex to 3-pin cable with a yellow tachometer cable such as http://www.ebay.com/itm/321227424142 or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371466931558. I plug the yellow cable into the CPU Fan header and would never use a converter without the tachometer cable.

I also wished to monitor the 2nd cooler fan so from a 2nd cable I extracted the yellow cable/pin and plugged it into the empty pin-3 of the cooler Y splitter and the CPU Opt header.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25165&stc=1&d=1463129620

763562510_Molexto3-pintachometer.png.6ea1d807bc554f341293c6928fc8c88a.png

Archived