Corsair Community

H110i GT Rattling noise/noise level

Profaniter

Hello I am very new to this forum. Forgive me if my grammar may not make sense but I will try my best.

It had been a month since I had this CPU cooler and it was nice. Usually I could hear a little noisy when playing demanding games and I thought oh that was normal. Until two weeks ago it started making Rattling noise. I don't know how to describe it. I'm hard of hearing I'm using Cochlear Implant, I know how strange the sound coming from the CPU cooler. At first I thought it may be my other 120mm fans, I bought anti vibration gasket to install two of them, it worked. But then that specific noise I thought came from those fans didn't really come from the fans, it came from the CPU cooler!

I contacted the tech support and they told me to see in the bios setting to tell it to switch the CPU cooler to be controlled by pwn? Power supply? I really don't understand. I'm not a techie person. I really need some help. I tried unscrew and leave all four screws a little tiny bit loose but no. So I was told it may come from the pump... I honestly don't know.

Any help would be appreciated

Quick lesson; think of fans in this way...

In a simplified nutshell...there's 2 types of fans; 3-pin & 4-pin fans.

The fans with 3-pin connectors typically always run at full speed. They're old-school.

The fans with 4-pin connectors...that 4th pin acts as a Pulse Width Modulator (PWM). What that simply means is that the fan speed runs in relation to the detected heat inside the computer, by the motherboard. They're the new-school fans...they run smarter, and harder only when needed.

MOST fans/devices used to cool the CPU chip are 4-pin (PWM) connected via the "CPU_FAN" header on the motherboard. Therefore the BIOS is set to run it as a PWM device (speed dependent on the temperature).

These new GT coolers (H80i/H100i/etc) now have the pump powered through the 3-pin fan connector. Very convenient.

What tech support wants you to do...is go into your motherboard's BIOS, into the "Fan Control" settings (or whatever it's called) and set the "CPU_FAN" header to NOT run as PWM by disabling "fan control" for that header. In other words...it needs to run at 100% for that specific header/connector. The CPU_FAN header needs to run as an old-school 3-pinned device.

Truthfully, chances are you're NOT crazy and your pump really is making a loud noise. You're not the only person experiencing this issue.

In fact, I just recently purchased a new H80i GT and experienced a loud/noisy pump too. Feel free to read my thread below for some information that may assist you.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=152510

There's many other users on this forum experiencing pump issues and Corsair has acknowledged the problem. I've included a few below but if you search, you should be able to find more.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=149770

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=139712

Disclaimer: The explanation of the 3 & 4-pin fans and how they typically operate was a super-simplified, down & dirty explanation without getting into the exact science of how they actually operate i.e. voltage based, goblins, etc, since OP admitted to not being tech savvy.

Quick lesson; think of fans in this way...

In a simplified nutshell...there's 2 types of fans; 3-pin & 4-pin fans.

The fans with 3-pin connectors typically always run at full speed. They're old-school.

The fans with 4-pin connectors...that 4th pin acts as a Pulse Width Modulator (PWM). What that simply means is that the fan speed runs in relation to the detected heat inside the computer, by the motherboard. They're the new-school fans...they run smarter, and harder only when needed.

MOST fans/devices used to cool the CPU chip are 4-pin (PWM) connected via the "CPU_FAN" header on the motherboard. Therefore the BIOS is set to run it as a PWM device (speed dependent on the temperature).

These new GT coolers (H80i/H100i/etc) now have the pump powered through the 3-pin fan connector. Very convenient.

What tech support wants you to do...is go into your motherboard's BIOS, into the "Fan Control" settings (or whatever it's called) and set the "CPU_FAN" header to NOT run as PWM by disabling "fan control" for that header. In other words...it needs to run at 100% for that specific header/connector. The CPU_FAN header needs to run as an old-school 3-pinned device.

Truthfully, chances are you're NOT crazy and your pump really is making a loud noise. You're not the only person experiencing this issue.

In fact, I just recently purchased a new H80i GT and experienced a loud/noisy pump too. Feel free to read my thread below for some information that may assist you.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=152510

There's many other users on this forum experiencing pump issues and Corsair has acknowledged the problem. I've included a few below but if you search, you should be able to find more.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=149770

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=139712

Disclaimer: The explanation of the 3 & 4-pin fans and how they typically operate was a super-simplified, down & dirty explanation without getting into the exact science of how they actually operate i.e. voltage based, goblins, etc, since OP admitted to not being tech savvy.

Okay.. Really, my roommate, he has all the best knowledge of how to connect everything on my gaming rig... he told me he connected my cpu cooler H110i GT to the power supply, NOT the motherboard. So we decided to do a little change, usually the cpu cooler fans would be directly above the cpu, we thought we should shift it to the opposite side, put the 120mm fan direct above the cpu. The noise is still there... I could hear it from some feet away... So what now?

How long ago did you buy it?

If it's within 30 days, Corsair will send you a pre-paid label for you to ship your defective unit back to them. That is IF you decide to RMA it.

If it's outside of 30 days...check the return policy of the store you bought it from. It's probably a 90 day return policy. If so...you can return it to them and exchange it for another H100i GT.

Otherwise...if you RMA it and it's been more than 30 days since the purchase, you'll have to pay for the shipping to Corsair and I can't imagine that little heavy box being cheap to ship.

But that's my .02 cents.

Actually, while it appears the H80i GT is powered through the 3-pin fan connector, I'm looking right now at a pretty thorough review of the H110i GTX that shows it still using a SATA power connector like the previous generation did. Though the Quick Start guide for the H110i GTX makes no mention of the SATA connector, and only mentions the 3-pin connector. Not sure why that model still uses the old power method, but it sure would be nice if they cleared up that little discrepancy in their documentation.

Actually, while it appears the H80i GT is powered through the 3-pin fan connector, I'm looking right now at a pretty thorough review of the H110i GTX that shows it still using a SATA power connector like the previous generation did. Though the Quick Start guide for the H110i GTX makes no mention of the SATA connector, and only mentions the 3-pin connector. Not sure why that model still uses the old power method, but it sure would be nice if they cleared up that little discrepancy in their documentation.

If I'm not mistaken, the H110i GTX is powered through the 3 pin header cable and the H110i GT is powered via SATA.

Archived