Corsair Community

Force Series Sleep/Hibernate Work Around

Yellowbeard

The Corsair Force Series SSDs continue to offer blistering performance with an awesome combination of read and write speeds. We are continually working with SandForce to improve and support our SSD line up. We have noticed that since our most recent firmware update for the Force 1200 series, released in November of 2010, that a small number of users are still having issues relating to startup and hibernation. In some cases, these issues relate to how certain systems boot up or recover from a hibernation state.

We are currently qualifying several MP4 firmware versions to evaluate their reliability and effectiveness at addressing these issues. However, they are not ready for release at this time. We have determined that some users with these startup and hibernation issues can benefit from using a work around. Many BIOS’ have a feature that occurs during the POST process relating to boot speed called Quick boot, Fast boot, or some similar variation of this term. This setting can contribute to these start up and hibernation issues.

If you are an user with these issues, we have prepared a guide for disabling this quick boot feature. These screen shots are from a AMI BIOS on an ASUS motherboard. Your individual BIOS may differ in either layout or terminology. If you are not certain which term your BIOS uses for the quick boot feature, or how to enter and navigate inside your BIOS, please refer to your manual or your motherboard manufacturer for assistance.

Step 1. Enter your BIOS. Typically this is done using the Delete key or F1 key.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8296&stc=1&d=1302064628

Step 2. Navigate to the Boot section and enter this section.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8297&stc=1&d=1302064628

On laptops, the BIOS may appear a bit differently but, the navigation and selection is essentially the same.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8300&stc=1&d=1302064838

Step 3. Navigate to the Quick Boot option and set it to disabled.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8298&stc=1&d=1302064628

And again, the navigation is very similar on a laptop.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8301&d=1302064961

Step 4. Save the settings, exit the BIOS, and reboot.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8299&stc=1&d=1302064628

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And what should we that have F120s installed in Macbook Pros do? As you probably know there is no BIOS on the Intel Macs to activate this workaround.

My F120 came new from Corsair with FW 2.0 (I checked the fw version with the Mac's System Information) so there is no firnware to upgrade it to.

Thank you.

And what should we that have F120s installed in Macbook Pros do? As you probably know there is no BIOS on the Intel Macs to activate this workaround.

My F120 came new from Corsair with FW 2.0 (I checked the fw version with the Mac's System Information) so there is no firnware to upgrade it to.

Thank you.

Please be patient until we validate a suitable firmware upgrade.

Microsoft recently released an update to Windows 7 pertaining to hibernation/memory dump issues, you can view the information here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2541014. Microsoft has made this available through Windows Update. Does anyone know if this pertains to the relevant issues involving the Performance 3 and Force series SSDs, and if so, should those experiencing those issues install this update?

Thanks

Microsoft recently released an update to Windows 7 pertaining to hibernation/memory dump issues, you can view the information here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2541014. Microsoft has made this available through Windows Update. Does anyone know if this pertains to the relevant issues involving the Performance 3 and Force series SSDs, and if so, should those experiencing those issues install this update?

Thanks

It may relate to the hibernate issues but the root of this issue occurs for most at startup, before the OS is loaded. It's going to take a firmware update to fix that.

It may relate to the hibernate issues but the root of this issue occurs for most at startup, before the OS is loaded. It's going to take a firmware update to fix that.

What puzzles me is that this issue supposed to have been fixed with FW update 2.0, and there are still lots of people posting about this problem on the Internet, specially on Macbooks.

I don't think FW 2.0 ever addressed the boot detection problem. It was only to prevent the BSOD when the computer is waking from sleep.

My macbook pro (2011) crashes on me when waking up from deep sleep (hibernation) and the F120 came with firmware 2.0 so the issue was not fixed with this firmware.

@Yellowbeard: What is the approx. ETA for the release of this validated firmware update?

My macbook pro (2011) crashes on me when waking up from deep sleep (hibernation) and the F120 came with firmware 2.0 so the issue was not fixed with this firmware.

@Yellowbeard: What is the approx. ETA for the release of this validated firmware update?

The firmware 2.0 addressed wake from sleep aka standby, and it fixed this issue. Specifically it fixed S3 mode from the ACPI specification. S1 and S4 (hibernate) never had any problems on other systems.

In fact, before firmware 2.0 was released the solution for those getting BSODs was to disable S3 and use S4 instead.

The macbooks have a problem with hibernate with this drive that is not seen on other systems.

• 4 weeks later...

HI - I have a netbook (ASUS EeePC 904HD) with the latest bios update but the workaround given above (disable quickboot) didn't work. I just purchased the Corsair SSD Force 60 with the latest firmware update (2.1) so now I'm out of options.

About to return the SSD and get a 7200 HD but wanted to give it one more shot - any other ideas on how to fix the return from sleep/hibernate problem?

I am really used to simply closing my lid and coming out of sleep mode in a matter of seconds - prefer not to shut down the machine each time.

Any help would be appreciated - I have 14 days left to return the SSD...

The firmware 2.0 addressed wake from sleep aka standby, and it fixed this issue. Specifically it fixed S3 mode from the ACPI specification. S1 and S4 (hibernate) never had any problems on other systems.

In fact, before firmware 2.0 was released the solution for those getting BSODs was to disable S3 and use S4 instead.

The macbooks have a problem with hibernate with this drive that is not seen on other systems.

I have 3 of these with 2.0fw and wakeing up from sleep is still kiling them by BSOD. :[pouts:

I also have ASUS Maximus 3 motherboard with the "AMI BIOS" and i have never have problem with finding my SSD if my pc or laptop has bean shotdown correctly.

But if its shotdown by BSOD it may have lost SSD in it and i haveto take power of my pc to give them back.

So i dont see reason why disableing quickboot would help. I try it anyway. :cool:

I didnt find my report after 2.0fw even if i member to doing so (maybe i sent it to RAM Guy, dont member), so i try to have time my pc's and do it again, with updated drivers.

ps. my os is mostly W7 home32 /pro64 so windows no linux if os has even anything to it.

Sry my English :o:

Cheers, Mummy

i had lots of BSOD afer resume from hibernate/S4 (i do not use sleep/S3) but disabling quick boot in the bios did nothing for me.

i was able to solve it by upgrading the Intel RST driver from 10.1.0.1008 to 10.5.0.1027 and it still works fine after 10+ resumes :)

• 4 weeks later...
i had lots of BSOD afer resume from hibernate/S4 (i do not use sleep/S3) but disabling quick boot in the bios did nothing for me.

i was able to solve it by upgrading the Intel RST driver from 10.1.0.1008 to 10.5.0.1027 and it still works fine after 10+ resumes :)

Hmm, unfortunately updating RST did not help me. I went to 10.6.* but all that did is it detected the drive properly. Win 7 x86 still BSOD's after resuming from sleep.

Ubuntu 11.04 seems happy to resume from sleep without any probs tho.

is there any ETA for the F115 series and the Power issue ?

we have customers complaining about laptops not booting up, and they are not able to deselect 'quick boot' in the bios (Asus and Sony Laptops)

the drive has firmware 2.1a I assume this is the last available (and can not be found on this site ?)

- so do we have to wait for 1-12 months to get this issue solved?

- is there another product range with similair specs WITHOUT this problem so we can replace the drives ?

is there any ETA for the F115 series and the Power issue ?

we have customers complaining about laptops not booting up, and they are not able to deselect 'quick boot' in the bios (Asus and Sony Laptops)

the drive has firmware 2.1a I assume this is the last available (and can not be found on this site ?)

- so do we have to wait for 1-12 months to get this issue solved?

- is there another product range with similair specs WITHOUT this problem so we can replace the drives ?

2.1a is the latest available so far. It is the same as 2.0 but updated for a change of materials in the F115.

If you're having compatibility problems and want to swap the drives, the P-series (performance) should not have any problems.

yes I meant what I said, our distributor does not have the P series (anymore I guess) so swapping brand seems to be the best option

these times companies only seem to think about selling, but not making good products anymore.. :(

I think it should not be so hard to fix this problem, as it is known for monhts

if they can't fix, stop selling please

perhaps it's my simple thinking

• 5 weeks later...

Is there any news on this?

I have a Corsair CSSD-F60GB2 updated to firmware release 2.0, but I have many problems when resuming from S3: sometimes it works, but many times after switching on the system Windows 7 tries to wake up, but after some seconds the system reboots. After reboot, thanks to the hybrid suspension, Windows 7 tries to restore the system status as if it were hibernated.

Sometimes it succeeds, sometimes it does not (BSOD shown).

With the previous firmware version (1.1), I had the same problems with resuming from S3, but when it didn't work, rebooting and restoring the system was always successful (I think I never got a BSOD... or maybe just a couple of times). Moreover, after updating to 2.0 firmware, the restoring from "hibernation" can take a very long time, while previously (with 1.1 firmware) it was very fast.

I already tried the workaround described here, disabiling the Quick Boot feature, but apart from making the POST phase much longer, it didn't help (I got no benefit).

The original post here is dated April 2011, we are now in September... no progress in the tests for a newer firmware release to fix this problem?

• 2 weeks later...
It's been almost a year since I first posted my issues with the corresponding screenshots, and terrible restoration workaround and still no firmware update that corrects this. I can guarantee you that I will never buy another product from Corsair ever again. They turned my holiday present into a nightmare. What was once an ideal, a nice and fast SSD hard drive has become an ongoing problem, not to mention a constant embarrassment if I need to boot my computer around others. "One sec, make sure to press F8, System Restore, CHKDSK D:. Reboot, Start Windows Normally", I don't think anyone in their right mind can say this is an acceptable way to treat your customers, frankly by the time you correct this issue I'll have moved on to a new laptop with a SSD from another manufacturer. I'll likely end up using my once prized F120 as a boot drive for my media center. Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed!! Another thread has been running since June 2010. How long are we supposed to be patient Yellowbeard and Ram Guy? I'm past the return date and now stuck like chuck with this worthless drive. We paid too much money to have to configure these half-baked, work-around solutions. In the past, I've heard Corsair made good RAM but have always used competing brands. I took a chance on this drive and this is my first and last Corsair product.

That thread was dead for a year before it got bumped recently. humanform, neither of your posts so far contain any information on what (if any) troubleshooting you have done so far. Please start a new thread if you wish to get help.

This thread was started in April of this year and has had posts every month including posts by yourself as soon as last month so I don't see how you can say it's been "dead for over a year". The fact that I haven't listed my troubleshooting doesn't mean I haven't followed all the suggested tips and, as I stated in my last post, "half-baked work-arounds". I hardly think that listing my troubleshooting steps are what is going to push this solution over the edge and cause the Corsair engineers to exclaim "Eureka! I found the answer". I'm not asking for help. Evidently that doesn't work. I'm asking for a solution. Just like so many others, I'm fed up and feel that Corsair needs to find a solution and quit relying on the consumer to do the troubleshooting.

Archived