Corsair Community

Force 3 120GB SSD - BSOD/Restarts/Crashes/DataLoss

W.e.S

Well, let me begin by saying that I have had enough of this. I have had a stable running PC for years and years, using only trusted and well respected manufactures to make my upgrades over time. I thought that i'd treat myself a few weeks back and purchased my first ever SSD with Corsair. What a mistake that has been. The SSD I get is the updated one with FW 1.3.3. I re-install Windows 7 after setting my bios to AHCI mode and im initially blown away by the speeds of this drive... Until the first 30 minutes have passed. Suddenly i get BSOD randomly whilst doing all my windows updates.

So i restart, continue to set up Windows 7 and install all my programs. Then another BSOD... And from here on they continue randomly from 10 minutes, to a day or more. So i spend hours updating every hardware I have installed, every driver possible. I still get the issue. So i tried an update from these forums to reinstall the 1.3.3 firmware to my SSD. That was successful, but after the boot, apparently my SSD is now at firmware 1.3.2, which is weird as I downloaded the 1.3.3 version, but anyway, I just carried on and instead of loads of random BSOD's, all i get now is literally a sudden unexpected hard system restart and im greeted with the Bios. Windows reboots and all is back to "normal". Again and again random more restarts continue, out of nowhere. So im getting frustrated now, all i want is a stable PC at this point, never mind the speeds and performance I was promised when I made the purchase.

So today I re-tried the FW update 1.3.3 AGAIN. This time after a reboot the SSD is now 1.3.3 and, as predicted, i unfortunately get the BSOD's again.

Now I've read that there are ways to get around this (if they work), such as a shorter Sata cable, or use another Sata connection on the motherboard. But these did not work for me.

This SSD is the most expensive internal drive I have spent my money on, and all it's been so far is a waste of money and a waste of my time (many hours). Now, my trust in Corsairs' product reliability is seriously declining, and if there isnt a REAL solution to this issue of their SSD's then id like to know if I can return my SSD to the retailer I purchased this from or directly to Corsair for either a refund or a replacement that is garunteed to work like it should, and If I do return to the retailer supplier if Corsair will assist in explaining to that retailer that their SSD's arent reliable.

I cant believe for a second that thousands of people (if not more) have just accepted that these BSOD's and restarts are fine and not done anything about it.

Im happy to provide any information if someone is kind enough to help me resolve this issue, but after spending a day on the net, it looks like the issue is unresolvable. :( Im sorry if this comes across as a rant (it probably kind of is) but it's just a serious shame that a company as good as Corsair sells a product that still has these issues.

Thank you for a quick responce. I have tried to use all my Sata connections that are on my motherboard (6 in total) with the same result. Im not fully aware if i'm on an AMD port or not, how would I be able to check this? As for secure erasing, I have Parted Magic ready to use as a last scenario, but im guessing I will need to use it wont I.

Well, let me begin by saying that I have had enough of this. I have had a stable running PC for years and years, using only trusted and well respected manufactures to make my upgrades over time. I thought that i'd treat myself a few weeks back and purchased my first ever SSD with Corsair. What a mistake that has been. The SSD I get is the updated one with FW 1.3.3. I re-install Windows 7 after setting my bios to AHCI mode and im initially blown away by the speeds of this drive... Until the first 30 minutes have passed. Suddenly i get BSOD randomly whilst doing all my windows updates.

So i restart, continue to set up Windows 7 and install all my programs. Then another BSOD... And from here on they continue randomly from 10 minutes, to a day or more. So i spend hours updating every hardware I have installed, every driver possible. I still get the issue. So i tried an update from these forums to reinstall the 1.3.3 firmware to my SSD. That was successful, but after the boot, apparently my SSD is now at firmware 1.3.2, which is weird as I downloaded the 1.3.3 version, but anyway, I just carried on and instead of loads of random BSOD's, all i get now is literally a sudden unexpected hard system restart and im greeted with the Bios. Windows reboots and all is back to "normal". Again and again random more restarts continue, out of nowhere. So im getting frustrated now, all i want is a stable PC at this point, never mind the speeds and performance I was promised when I made the purchase.

So today I re-tried the FW update 1.3.3 AGAIN. This time after a reboot the SSD is now 1.3.3 and, as predicted, i unfortunately get the BSOD's again.

Now I've read that there are ways to get around this (if they work), such as a shorter Sata cable, or use another Sata connection on the motherboard. But these did not work for me.

This SSD is the most expensive internal drive I have spent my money on, and all it's been so far is a waste of money and a waste of my time (many hours). Now, my trust in Corsairs' product reliability is seriously declining, and if there isnt a REAL solution to this issue of their SSD's then id like to know if I can return my SSD to the retailer I purchased this from or directly to Corsair for either a refund or a replacement that is garunteed to work like it should, and If I do return to the retailer supplier if Corsair will assist in explaining to that retailer that their SSD's arent reliable.

I cant believe for a second that thousands of people (if not more) have just accepted that these BSOD's and restarts are fine and not done anything about it.

Im happy to provide any information if someone is kind enough to help me resolve this issue, but after spending a day on the net, it looks like the issue is unresolvable. :( Im sorry if this comes across as a rant (it probably kind of is) but it's just a serious shame that a company as good as Corsair sells a product that still has these issues.

Me two same like you i haves these bsods and i really tired from them :(: If corsair fix these bsods and freezes :mad: we will be ok i really didn't expect corsair with the quality and reliability of their do these problems

Me two same like you i haves these bsods and i really tired from them :(: If corsair fix these bsods and freezes :mad: we will be ok i really didn't expect corsair with the quality and reliability of their do these problems

IF. To be honest, its been far too long, Corsair have had long enough to fix this so im about to try a secure errase, if this fails i will get a refund and choose an ssd that doesnt use this useless SandForce controller. Last night was the worst its been, had system restarts once every 5 minutes for over half an hour. It makes my system utterly unusable and i was only using youtube at the time. Ive gone though my dump files and everytime its ntoskrnl.exe causing the issue.

Here is a screenshot of how frequent my restarts/bsod's are: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/ssdfailure.jpg

I will post again after a secure errase, If it doesnt fix the issue, a refund will be happening.

Edit: Also to point out that the data loss is also getting worse, even had dskchk kick in on a windows boot up during one of last nights restarts, and some programs requiring a repair install as certain small files are suddenly damaged or missing...

Archived