Corsair Community

CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 heat spreader fail

vdw

I've just gotten a pair of CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 32gb quad kits for 2 new computer builds in the mail from amazon, and in both kits about a quarter of the memory chips have no contact whatsoever to the heat spreader, when held up to the window there are gaps clearly visible. Haven't been able to test the modules yet since the mainboards have yet to arrive, but isn't there supposed to be some kind of contact paste, glue or whatever?

I'm somewhat leery of sending them back to amazon since I'll probably get back kits from the same production run. RMA them? or do they run _that_ cool that they'll work anyway?

The 2 shadows are the heatspreaders fins, the chip doesn't have any contact with it, and of the two quad kits about half the sticks have several.

I think I see the adhesive tape, and when I press the heatspreader down it does stick for a bit but springs up again after a few seconds.

The picture is that dark because I'm photographing directly into the lamp you see fuzzily in the background. It IS a gap. It is a very much obvious gap. No, I'm not mistaking that white thingie for light shining through.

I'll try to take a better picture ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=9978&stc=1&d=1326323659

There, front and backlit. You can see the light glaring through between the chip and the heatspreader, the two darker patches between them are fins.

I can try to take a video tomorrow at the office if that's what it takes?

IMG_0539_res.thumb.JPG.9cd1ffef5ef3c3eb6cfa0e53d55e245d.JPG

As I said a few posts ago, if I press it down it sticks for a couple of seconds and then springs up again. It's also not just one chip, only one stick of 8 doesn't have a couple.

And you do know that a thin airspace is one of the very best thermal isolators there is short of high-tech materials? It would be far better to just remove the heat spreaders entirely. Since that voids the warranty ...

How much power do these sticks draw at stock voltage and clock?

• Corsair Employee

The most they can draw is about 6-7 watts per module.

But you would have to hold the modules for several min or use a clamp to hold them over night. But as I as I said it would likely not make any difference these do not run that Hot.

Well, I'll always be able to RMA them if it doesn't work out when I get the mainboards.

Out of curiosity, I noticed the usage scratches on the gold contacts in the picture that become visible when using the flash. Are they from factory testing? I know I haven't made them.

Archived