Corsair Community

Problem installing any graphics card on modern RGB motherboard

sirbaili

Hello there.

I have a strange problem.

I cannot install any video card whe using any modern motherboard with rgb lightening and Plastic shields.

if I don't remove plastic cover from the motherboard there is a 3to 5 millimeter that prevents gpu from properly installing.

A close visual inspection did not reveal any deformations?

What can be done?

Thanks in advance

sorry

I Have 900D case

Any motherboard that comes with plastic cover and RGB

It does not matter what Video Card

I have to unscrew that plastic cover to be able to insert Video Card properly:

motherboards Examples:

Asus Rog Strix x99

Asus Rog Maximus x

Asus Prime X399-a

Asus x99 Deluxe.

Msi X99 Workstation

My Maximus IX has the exact same cover (except is says Maximus IX rather than Maximus X). No issues installing my 1080 Ti. Or my previous 1070. Or my 960.

I'm not exactly sure what you are doing wrong ... but you are doing something wrong. Since you didn't show your installation but only what you removed, I really can't tell. I'm not saying this to be mean ... follow this logic ... just imagine the uproar that would come if a company that sells as many motherboards as Asus does released something that required that kind of modification to install a GPU? It would be everywhere.

Just look at what the community did to that Verge editor with that build video. Now multiply that times 10000. Granted, that build video was bad but it would pale compared to this.

I would suggest, however, that since your issue is with an Asus board, you might want to check on their forums. This may be a mistake that they've seen other Asus users make and may be able to more immediately point you on the right path.

I am not sure what is happening either. Obviously there are quite a few of these boards in circulation and I have three of them used without issue with multiple GPUs in various forms. I do not have any of the AMD cards listed in your specifications, so that could be something different. Specifically with the Maximus X, the top PCI-E slot has been lowered on that card to a good 2 cm below the bottom of the rear I/O-heatsink piece in your picture. Not really sure where things are going wrong.

V2.thumb.jpg.eb81fd1683326b05a98fd4800d9a0745.jpg

I think this portion is a culprit.

I do not knnw if the motherboard tray has slight deformation that prevents vga to sit properly.

Anyway the fact is : as soon as I remove the plastic cover from any of mentioned motherboards - the VGA sits properly

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks to all for your input.

[ATTACH]34252[/ATTACH]

I think this portion is a culprit.

I do not knnw if the motherboard tray has slight deformation that prevents vga to sit properly.

Anyway the fact is : as soon as I remove the plastic cover from any of mentioned motherboards - the VGA sits properly

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks to all for your input.

Maybe the IO shroud was installed improperly by the manufacture. I know the Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 had a couple complaints about the shroud and Gigabyte's 1080 ti. There is a tab on the bottom of the GPU that prevents it from sitting on the board w/o the shroud. See here: http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/2506/1080ti-fit-aorus-gaming-7

That is odd, there is a link that someone provided that has more details in the link I provided, though when I post the direct link, it wigs out on this forum.

Please update your System's Specs as this could clear up things for us.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived