Corsair Community

Vengeance led ram

Moogae

• 1 month later...
Corsair Link V4.3.0.154 is out and there's an option to control the LEDs (Static or Default) and brightness level, i installed it but i can control only one stick .. the other one just keeps on going fading in and out ... idk if its a software issue or a RAM issue

Corsair Link V4.3.0.154 is out and there's an option to control the LEDs (Static or Default) and brightness level, i installed it but i can control only one stick .. the other one just keeps on going fading in and out ... idk if its a software issue or a RAM issue

Thanks for the heads up...wow Corsair failing again? LOL

Update: I tried static and it works for me...all 4 sticks are static now.

Well, could be because im using an H110 Board at the moment, waiting for my G1 Sniper to arrive and will update again

so, i received my gigabyte g1 sniper, installed the sticks on slots 2 and 4, link is now working properly, both ram leds are now set to static

Hi Folks,

Recently built a new PC with the Vengeance LED ram in it (2X16GB) and not only can I not get them both to go static (only 1 stick does), they don't even "breathe" simultaneously. Currently have Corsair Link 4.3.0.154 and am using a MSI Z170A MPOWER Gaming Titanium ATX LGA1151 Motherboard...

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is kinda ruining the aesthetic of my new build! :bigeyes:

Thanks in Advance,

Tipsee

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is kinda ruining the aesthetic of my new build! :bigeyes:

I noted that http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162550 also has what I suspect is the same issue and at the moment I am trying to figure out what is going on. Corsair have specified that on X99 none of the DIMM LEDs can be controlled and I wonder if this is related to your issue. I wonder what the LED control chip is and if it's SMBus controller is specified to run at 400 KHz.

I develop SIV and when it tries to read the LED control SMBus device this sometimes does not return the expected data or fails to return any data at all. Please will you help me figure out what is happening by running SIV on your system and posting some information? It will be enlightening to see if both DIMMs return the same LED information.

To do this open a command window, CD to where SIV has been extracted to, issue the command siv64x -dbgsmb -save=[initial][smb-ini][smbus-setup][spd][smb-bus]=some-information.txt > siv_dbgout.log | more and finally attach some-information.txt + siv_dbgout.log to a post?

attachment.php?attachmentid=26694&stc=1&d=1475752991

106935640_SomeInformation.png.d43864bddb1b5a2040a31275108a5618.png

I have emailed you...

Thank you for all your help in isolating the issue which was down to SMBus device [ 0_21 ] causing the system to lock up when SIV tried to read it :eek:. As from SIV 5.14 Beta-12 SIV will automatically skip [ 0_21 ] + [ 0_29 ] + [ 0_2A ] and [sMB Bus] should and did report as below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26702&stc=1&d=1475930422

Looking at the screen shot and the below image from http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=873788 I made the following deductions:

1. Only one of your DDR4 LED devices was found.
  2. It is at [ 0_58 ] when it should be at [ 0_59 ] as is the case below.
  3. There should be a DDR4 LED device at [ 0_5B ] as is the case below.
  4. I suspect both your DDR4 LED devices may be at [ 0_58 ] which is to say the least bad. You could confirm this by removing each DIMM in turn and check if there is still a DDR4 LED device at [ 0_58 ].
  5. Offset 0x00 controls the brightness and the only other byte that is different is byte 0x01 which is 0x01 with your system and 0x03 with the two DIMMs below. I suspect this may be the DDR4 LED revision/version and the incorrect address bug has been fixed in the V3 DIMMs.
  6. Looking further I noted the DIMM SPD reports MTS (Module Thermal Sensors) as available, but they are not as there are no DIMM MTS devices at [ 0_19 ] + [ 0_1B ], so there is a bug in the DIMM SPD data.
  7. The bottom line is that both the DIMMs have hardware/firmware issues and were they my DIMMs I would RMA them via https://corsair.secure.force.com/home/home.jsp. If you do the same then Corsair may find it helpful if you link to this post.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26632&d=1475320357

attachment.php?attachmentid=26704&stc=1&d=1475931390

929713152_DDR4LEDincorrectlyat1_58.png.ad4e2a2fc73912019bfaa471727752d9.png

CMU32GX4M2C3200C16-MTS.thumb.png.09d233c3ea6c8f75687002836ecdb79e.png

Correct, CL4 can't.
If only they'd shipped them as static, with an option for flashing/pulsing later, once in your choice of MoBo.

Is the state of the LEDs stored on the modules, do you know. Possible to borrow a Z170, program them as static and move them back to X99?

Cheers

Is the state of the LEDs stored on the modules, do you know. Possible to borrow a Z170, program them as static and move them back to X99?

I don't know. If you can look at the DIMMs and tell me what the SPD and LED control chip part numbers are I could look at the datasheet and find out.

A typical SPD chip looks as below and I suspect the LED chip will be similar, though one chip might control both.

220px-SPD_SDRAM.jpg

I can't see that chip without taking the heat spreaders off.

Thanks though, but I'll try the Z170 thing to see if static is stored on the modules. It'll either work or not. If not I'll be swapping these for some regular DIMMs as my PC is positioned such that the pulsing LEDs are a no no.

(I got these as I'd read they could be made static, the article at the time didn't mention any X99 limitations, and I never thought there would be any issues. Neither does it mention anything on the product page.)

I can't see that chip without taking the heat spreaders off.

OK, I half suspected this may be the situation.

I suspect it should stick so that the DIMMs are as you last set them when you boot the system as this is what happens with my Crucial BLT4G3D1869DT2TXRG DIMMs.

I am hoping I can get SIV to change the setup on X99 within the next few days.

• Corsair Employee
Hi Folks,

Recently built a new PC with the Vengeance LED ram in it (2X16GB) and not only can I not get them both to go static (only 1 stick does), they don't even "breathe" simultaneously. Currently have Corsair Link 4.3.0.154 and am using a MSI Z170A MPOWER Gaming Titanium ATX LGA1151 Motherboard...

Thanks in Advance,

Tipsee

I am using an ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha and with Corsair Link v4.3.0.154 only one of my 2 sticks is affected.

Slot B1 is static, Slot B2 continues to pulse.

Hey, please start up a ticket on our support site and pm me the ticket number.

• 3 months later...
Hi Folks,

Thanks in Advance,

Tipsee

Oh i get you, im having the exact same problem..and it looks so bad now.

Did i just spend a whooping 1700 kr (200 usd) on this?

I have the same issue of only 1 stick (of 2) being able to change to static lighting. I'm using a Z270 board (GIGABYTE GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming). I actually like the pulsing effect, but it would be nice to have the option for the pulsing to be synchronized among all sticks.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue, out of sync pulsating. I tried static with sticks in slots 2-4, only the stick in slot 2 would go static. I just added another two sticks to fill up my 4 slots. Now all 4 are static.

This is on a MSI z270 gaming pro carbon

Any ideas on why 4 sticks worked but 2 did not?

My best guess is that the code in CL4 is c**p. With 4 DIMMs the SMBus addresses will be contiguous and with two there will be a gap. My guess is that they only tested on systems with 4 DIMMs and that the code does not allow for there being gaps in the SMBus addresses.

When I added code to SIV to control the LEDs it had no issues at all controlling the LEDs two DIMMs, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=888742.

If you look at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=874699 + http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=873788 you can see SIV [sMB Bus] screen shots that show the DIMM LED SMBus addresses.

Archived