Corsair Community

Question on Stability of Twinx512-3200LL on Gigabyte 8IK1100

atseng

Hi, I wanted to check with you regarding the stability and the specifications of my RAM that I purchased recently. I have the Corsair TWINX512-3200LL, the specifications on the chips are as follows: 2 sticks of CMX256A-3200LL, XMS3205 v 1.1, 0307052 The memory is set at SPD 2-2-2-6 I installed it on a Gigabyte 8IK1100 (bios v.F6), and have the following other components installed: - P4 2.4c 800mhz, SL6WF - HIS Radeon 9500 Pro 128mb - Lite-on 48x/12x/48x - Pioneer DVD - Maxor 80 Gig SATA I basically swapped everything out with the exception of my cpu, but I get random resets, blue screens during xp installation. Nothing worked, I even tried to slow down the timing but nothing happened. When I read this board, I decided to up the VDIMM voltage by .1 volt (I believe from 2.6v to 2.7v), and the whole system installed without a glitch. I have been running some burn-in tests and have not encountered problem so far. My question is, I am worried that the memory I purchased is not capable of running at the specified latency without higher voltage. Does this mean that my memory is "inferior" and therefore needs to be juiced up by higher voltage to work properly or is there known compatibility issues with the Gigabyte 8IK1100 motherboards? Thanks in advance for the help.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I ran the system at 2-2-2-6 fine with 2.7 volts for 3 days. Ran the burn-in software with no problems whatsoever. While I was installing additional software today, Windows XP randomly rebooted. I tried 2-3-3-6 with 2.8volts, slowed the memory down to 333mhz, and 266 mhz. But unfortunately, the computer still will not fully load Windows XP. Do you know what else I can do to get this memory to work??? HELP!

• Corsair Employee
Please try it with the memory timings set manually to Cass 2-3-3-6 or Cass 2-4-4-6 and se if the problem is solved. Also they are working on a new Bios that should resolve this but I think its in beta still Ram Guy

I am using the same motherboard with a P4 800Mhz CPU and cannot get windows to install with the BIOS set to performance. Can you please tell me what memory settings I need to use to get windows to install. At the moment it installs the initial programs but Blue screens when it tries to load the OS. I am being told that the memory is too fast. Regards Chris Thompson

Good Luck. I have the same P4 800FSB and 8IK1100 board. I have CMX512 3200C2 Ram. I had to slow down my processor to about 2.3 Ghz and my Ram to 266 Mhz to install windows. After I installed it I put the processor at 3.0Ghz and the ram at 333Mhz. That is all it will run at right now. I set the timing to 2-3-3-6 and 2.7V at 333Mhz. If you get something else let me know.

• Corsair Employee
Redneck Please try either Cass 2-4-4-6 or Cass 2.5-3-3-6 at DDR 400 and se if it will run and pass [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] cjthom Please use this as a reference as we have not seen the MB yet. DRAM Clock: 200 MHz DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual System Performance: Normal Resulting Frequency: 200MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM RAS Precharge (tRP): 3T SDRAM Active to Precharg Delay (tRAS): 6T Ram Guy

• Corsair Employee
I would test the memory in another MB if possible and if it fails in the other MB I would RMA the memory but if it passes I would rma the MB. Also in order to run DR400 you have to have a 800 FSB CPU other wise you will have to run it at DDR333 Ram Guy

Thanks for the info. I do have a 800MHz 1.8G CPU. I managed to get the OS to load after setting the timings to 2:7:3:3. I am going to do some more playing around now that I have got the PC working! Hopefully, Gigabyte will update their BIOS soon. Thanks again Chris:)

I exchanged my Corsair CMX3200C2 for Kingston 3500 Ram. It works great with my 3.0 Ghz 800 FSB P4. It also works with default timings and at 400 Mhz. The 3200 Corsair ram was not compatible with my motherboard. The techs at the store told me they have had numerous issues with that ram and the 8IK1100 board. And they recommend the Kingston ram now.

Redneck, That's interesting. I tried playing around with the timings and got no further than using 2-7-3-3. When I rang Overclockers at the weekend they said they would have to test the RAM before they would exchange it. This would leave me without a Pc for a week! I e-mailed Gigabyte UK and they have failed to respond, not for the first time I might add. I will contact Overclockers again, where did you buy your RAM from? I think I will start getting heavy with this issue after all the Sales of Goods Act is quite clearly on our side as the RAM/Motherboard is claerly not fir for the purpose. Regards Chris

I bought it at Fry's Electronics. Or [url]www.outpost.com.[/url] The 3200C2 is not compatible, no matter what gigabyte says. I talked to the tech manager and he called me back about 6 hours later and said he got it to work. I told him he was full of it. I have yet to hear of anyone other than the makers of the products to get it to work. However, rumor has it Corsair 3500 will work. They didn't have any in stock or I would have tried it. But the kingston works GREAT. I am finally satisfied. Let me know if you need anymore help. Oh and you can change the timing till your blue in the face and it won't work. I tried every combination and it didn't work. Try 3500 Ram.

RAM GUY How much of a performance reduction am I getting using the timings 2-7-3-3? Are you planning on testing this board in the very near future? This will decide my next move. Still no responce from Gigabyte. Typical British customer service. Redneck Thanks for the information Regards Chris

Hey Chris, Call them on the phone, talk to the operator and ask for the supervisor of technical support. That is how I finally got through to them. I did a little yelling then some threatening then I got an answer. Not a correct answer but an answer. Is yours running at 400 Mhz at those timings?

• Corsair Employee
Yes we are planning on testing the MB but I am not sure if it will be this exact model or not. And I know that they have a few different models with the same chipset so we normally just test the plain version of the MB no SCSI or IDE Raid on board. But as soon as they get us one we will test it. But they should have our modules as we gave them some a while back Ram Guy

I did some performance comparison tests tonight using Passmark 4.0 as supplied with Norton Systemworks. The memory tests were better than or equal to the MSI 875P Neo Dual Pentium 4 3GHz PC. I then ran the speed tests: - Average block read speed: - 362.4 MB/Sec (by block size) Average block write speed: - 286.1 MB/Sec (by block size) Average block read speed: - 24.3 MB/Sec (by step size) Average block write speed: -13.3 MB/Sec (by step size) Does this seem about right?

Memory READ 4243 MB/Sec This is 2nd in table to P4 3.00HT Intel D875PBZ (4880 MB/Sec) Memory WRITE 1310 MB/Sec This is 4th in table. First 2 are 3.0 CPU. 3rd is Intel D850 with Dual PC1066 RDRAM. This would appear to conclude that the RAM is working OK do you not think? I believe that RDRAM is faster? Incidentally this bit of software is great. It has answered quite a few system questions. I now know what my MAC address is at last. Regards Chris

Does anyone have problem with the LAN port? I got the computer to run stable at 2-2-2-6 setting with the TWINX 512 mb 3200LL on 8IK1100 at +.1 volts, however, the built-in LAN loses its connection after a while. It works when I reset the mobo (pulling out the lithium battery out for 10 minutes with the power supply off). And everything works fine. I have cable modem with SMC router. The strange thing is that the LAN port is showing active light, and the Router is showing that the CAT5e cable is properly connected. However, Windows XP refuses to see the port as being connected to a network. Somehow the LAN card's speed also drops from 100 mbps to 10mbps. Can anyone tell me if this is a problem associated with the memory? Thanks alot. Albert

• Corsair Employee
If you have not done so, please try setting the DDR Voltage to 2.75 Volts as this will set the Voltage to the north bridge as well and I think they are using the NB intagrated LAN like Intel on the Giga Byte MB. Ram Guy

Ram Guy, Are you suggesting still try to run it at 2-2-2-6 @ 400DDR and up the voltage? The voltage on Gigabyte 8IK1100 only goes in .1 increments, so I guess I will max it out to +.3 volts to 2.8 volts. I recall trying upping the voltage to +.2 volts and relax the timing down to 2-4-4-7 @ 333 and 266mhz, but it still stopped working. Is there any reason that when I reset the BIOS (pulling the lithium battery out) all of a sudden everything works??? Does anyone have any idea on when Giga-byte will come out with a revision of their BIOS for 8IK1100? I am also contemplating flashing an OLDER (F4 & F5) version of the bios (currently have F6 installed) to see if this memory problem goes away. Would you recommend against doing so Ram Guy? Thanks, Albert

• Corsair Employee
I would suggest setting it at Cass 2-3-2-6 (Rass to Cass to "3") and setting the DRAM over voltage control set to +.2 Volts If possible, if your still having trouble please test the memory on another MB, maybe a freind! Ram Guy

Ram Guy, I tried the setting you suggested and ran it at 2-3-2-6 with +.2 volts (up to 2.8 volts). Ran Memtest 3.0 for 15 hours with all tests on and received 0 errors. However, when I boot up in WinXP, the LAN port is still "unplugged" even though all the lights are on. Do you know if there will be updated BIOS soon??? It's quite frustrating to have a new computer that can't go on to the internet. Would you suggest flashing it with older BIOS version? Another problem that I have is that all of a sudden, my 48x burner only burns at 10-15 times.. Very strange. I have the DMA/UDMA/ATA33-66-100 set to auto. Thanks for the help! Albert

How did you manage to get these timings? My BIOS will not even give me the option of setting the RAS to CAS delay to 3 cycles. My BIOS is F6. I e-mailed Gigabyte again yesterday but they still do not reply. I am starting to get annoyed now. I might write to XP magazine and get them to do something about it for me. Until someone actually gets to test this RAM with this board I will never be totally sure that my PC is running at its best. I dont really want to change the RAM as I want matched devices. I eventually want to add a further matched pair of 256 MB devices but I am not doing that until the problem has been sorted. On another subject, the latest Norton Live update crashed my PC tonight. It took out my Bluetooth keyboard thus preventing me from entering my password. I had to reinstall my wired keyboard and then reinstall the drivers! Has anybody else had fun with the last Norton update? I have e-mailed Norton. Regards Chris

Archived