Corsair Community

Neutron GTX 120GB (Hynix), Alignment [Page + Block Size]

vfeast

Product: CSSD-N120GBGTXB-BK

Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB (Hynix 19nm, MLC Toggle-NAND)

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew the "Page Size" and "Block Size" of this device?

I am on Linux (Gentoo Linux, 64-bit to be specific) and just purchased this SSD and I am going to create some partitions on the drive but wanted to know the Page and Block sizes before I do the alignment.

Newer versions of Microsoft Windows does this automatically when creating paritions, and while I am on Linux I believe newer versions of GParted (and other Linux partitioning programs) do this automatically as well, but I still want to know the information if at all possible.

I hear that a Solid-State Drive aligned on the device Block Size leads to more efficient Read/Writes since there is no overlap in Blocks during data retrieval/insertion, but I have also heard the same about Page Size since the OS (Operating System) doesn't actually *delete* the data (the firmware and SSD controller do this?) which is why I'm curious about these specifications before I proceed.

Anyone have the Page Size or Block Size and/or alignment information for this SSD.. or have a similar situation of partitioning this device on Linux? Thanks for reading.

• 1 month later...

Page size is 16KB. I believe blocks are 128 pages or 2MB?

Which begs the question: I'm sure most people here have seen the benchmarks of aligned vs. unaligned partitions only checking for 4KB alignment, and using 4KB cluster size (the windows default, during install you need to pop up a command window to format with a different cluster size, so I'm one of very few who does.....) My question then is.... am I getting any benefit from having formatted with 16KB clusters vs. the default 4KB, in order to match the page size?

Archived