Corsair Community

Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

Gronar

What product is giving you this warning specifically? If all of our devices are detected normally, it's unrelated to iCUE.

It's listed under USB controllers in device manager. I unplugged and replugged my H100i Platinum AIO from the USB header this morning and noticed it went away but the error returned. Also my Void Pro Wireless headset is disconnecting/reconnecting when this occurs multiple times, 5-6 and then reconnects. Been watching device monitor all day and have actually witnessed the headset do that in it.

That's likely caused by the iCue crash bug/USB disconnect/reconnect on iCue startup with H1xxi RGB Platinum coolers. If it happens multiple times, the USB driver can crash and then you get that error. Restarting your computer should fix it until it happens again, but you'd likely want to try the workaround in my signature and see if that helps to keep it away afterwards. The more USB devices you have connected, the higher the probability will be that the driver crashes when it happens.

Also, you can try deleting the device that gives an error from devices manager and restarting your computer. It should be re-initialized and hopefully properly installed it on the next Windows Startup.

Edited by Glzmo

That's likely caused by the iCue crash bug/USB disconnect/reconnect on iCue startup with H1xxi RGB Platinum coolers. If it happens multiple times, the USB driver can crash and then you get that error. Restarting your computer should fix it until it happens again, but you'd likely want to try the workaround in my signature and see if that helps to keep it away afterwards. The more USB devices you have connected, the higher the probability will be that the driver crashes when it happens.

The funny thing about all this is it was operating perfectly until I updated iCUE last night to the latest rev.

I used the instructions to uninstall iCUE with Revo and reinstalled it and that seems to have cleared up the Void Pro wireless disconnecting and reconnecting. All devices are running fine (K95 Plat RGB, Void Pro wireless, MM800 mousepad, H100i cooler, Dominator Platinum RGB, Commander Pro, 2 ML 120 fans and 3 LL 120 fans) but still have that defective USB device as Win 10 calls it in Device Manager. Onward to try and troubleshoot what it is and try to fix. Thanks for the advice!

I used the instructions to uninstall iCUE with Revo and reinstalled it and that seems to have cleared up the Void Pro wireless disconnecting and reconnecting. All devices are running fine (K95 Plat RGB, Void Pro wireless, MM800 mousepad, H100i cooler, Dominator Platinum RGB, Commander Pro, 2 ML 120 fans and 3 LL 120 fans) but still have that defective USB device as Win 10 calls it in Device Manager. Onward to try and troubleshoot what it is and try to fix. Thanks for the advice!

Update: I fixed the USB error in Device Manager. I simply swapped which USB header the Commander Pro and H100i connectors were going into the motherboard. Device manager has no errors/conflicts.

• 1 month later...
Weeeeeeird windows must've registered it wrong.

Here's something even weirder: Anytime I reboot now I get the constant disconnect/reconnect sounds and it usually leads to the device descriptor error in devman. To fix this I have to totally power down for about two minutes (shut down, hit switch on PSU, unplug PSU and let sit). Then after a restart I have to run the repair option in iCUE to get it to recognize all devices and work normally again. No errors at all until I have to reboot and then go through the whole process again. Attaching logs.

iCUE.zip

• Corsair Employee

This is unrelated to iCUE at this point. The driver is just not registering correctly or it's getting blocked by something on launch or there's something wrong with the cooler's USB connection. It has to be on of those things.

Although you have a Z370...

What software version of iCUE is currently installed? This can be seen in Settings on the bottom right of the icue window.

This is unrelated to iCUE at this point. The driver is just not registering correctly or it's getting blocked by something on launch or there's something wrong with the cooler's USB connection. It has to be on of those things.

What software version of iCUE is currently installed? This can be seen in Settings on the bottom right of the icue window.

3.15.101. No, my board is an X470, should have put that in my specs.

I may have fixed this but in doing so created a new problem. I'm running two copro's with the AIO. I had the copro's connected in series to one USB header on the motherboard and the AIO connected to the other. Also right next to these headers is a USB 3.1 header that I had a hub plugged into and was wondering if maybe all those together is causing too much of a power draw? (I'm not an electrical engineer so this is a SWAG at it from me.)

I totally uninstalled iCUE including registry entries, shut down and did some rewiring. Now I have each of the copro's going to the two motherboard headers and the AIO connected to the header on copro #1. I have another USB 3.1 header on the side of the board so switched that hub over to it. Booted back up, reinstalled iCUE (3.15.101), setup the fans and light strips and all is working fine, no USB disconnect sounds (except for an initial one when I launch iCUE, I don't have it set to run on startup, don't get any after it is up) and I no longer have the device descriptor error in devman, even after reboots.

Problem is now the RGB from the h100I flickers. Every 30 seconds to a minute the two fans connected to it and the actual cooler lights will flicker. Have tried repairing iCUE to no avail. So close to having it all run perfect, any ideas?

Normally that happens when communication is interrupted. That may just be the result of all the USB's plugged in...

2 possibilities:

1. It's too much going through a single header and the communication is failing.

2. The USB bus is overloading.

Hmm, I wonder if I'm pushing the limit of my PSU? Running 600w.

• 11 months later...
I'm experiencing the USB disconnect also. The only Corsair products in my system are a 128 Corsair Vengeance RAM kit and Corsair 6 ML fans. I had to delete the Asus plugin because it interfered with my 5v headers that my AIO is plugged in to. Also iCue Software doesn't support 5V 3 pin headers anyway. The only thing plugged in to my Motherboard's USB headers in the case's front panel USB ports. Everything else is connected in to fan headers and 5 volt addressable headers. I really like the software but they really needs to fix this issue.

Corsair Calico Jack said:

Really! Unrelated to iCUE!? Don't be ridiculous. Who's fault is it that a Corsair app and driver does not start because it is incapable of negotiating by the well established PnP standard?

How about you put some technical backing behind your "claim" it is unrelated to iCUE?

Where did you learn your engineering and blaming skills?  :eek: I can provide kernel walks to prove that it is your 2017 driver that can't participate in the bus enumeration, thus not being able to start.

Another example of Corsair's pathetic support.

Normally that happens when communication is interrupted. That may just be the result of all the USB's plugged in...

2 possibilities:

1. It's too much going through a single header and the communication is failing.

2. The USB bus is overloading.

Another ignorant response, do you really get paid to post the BS you do?

Do you have a clue as how many devices USB can enumerate on a single root?

The USB standard supports up to 127 devices, and USB hubs are a part of the standard. A typical USB four-port hub accepts 4 "A" connections. A hub typically has four new ports, but may have many more.

• 6 months later...

Hello…when you are getting an unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed) error, the very first thing you have to do is to check the USB device and connection status. If you don’t find any hardware issue then you have to Change the USB Selective Suspend Settings by following the below steps:

1. Firstly, go to Power Options> Show additional plans > Change settings that are currently unavailable > High performance > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings.

2. Find USB settings and expand it. Then expand the USB selective suspend setting.

3. Disable both On battery and Plugged in settings.

4. Click on the Apply button and reboot the device.

After finishing these steps, you will see that your Device Descriptor Request Failed issue resolved.