Corsair Community

H115i blockage?

Ingvarr100th

Hi,

I think I have a problem with my H115i. At gaming CPU (i7-7700k) easily gain temp above 70°C when coolant temp often is above 50°C (sometimes even above 60°C!) and rises very quickly. At idle where room temp is about 23°C CPU gets ~44°C and coolant is 37°C. But on more CPU demanding games (like Far Cry 5) CPU gets 100°C! Thermal paste is good (Thermal Grizzly), block is mounted to MB correctly.

I have 2xLL140 (instead of stock SPs) fans working at 100% most of the time in push configuration. Other fans are: 2xLL140 in front of Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition, and one LL140 on back as pull.

Is this abnormal? I know that's LL140 fans are weaker than stock ones but i don't think it should have that huge impact of cooling performance.

attachment.php?attachmentid=34542&stc=1&d=1542185616

corsair.thumb.PNG.8e118fdab58ed0df6db7edd8a482319c.PNG

That coolant temp is not normal. But what we can't say - for sure - is why it's happening. How quickly does the temperature rise? What GPU are you using? (Hint: fill out your system specs) Have you tried running with the case open and do you get the same temps when you do that?

No, I am afraid the fans have nothing to do with this and you are likely correct in your theory it's a blockage. The coolant temps are out of bounds, even with environmental factors added (it would have to be 60C in your case). A final measure is to put your hand over the radiator exhaust when the coolant is 40-60C. It should be uncomfortably hot. It will probably be cool. No heat is getting to the radiator for dispersal.

Use the Support Ticket system in the menu above to start a RMA. Include the above information. Include the "cold exhaust" assessment (if true). That one usually makes the point clear. In the meantime, you may want to assess if you prefer to move another direction or to get another new H115i.

That coolant temp is not normal. But what we can't say - for sure - is why it's happening. How quickly does the temperature rise? What GPU are you using? (Hint: fill out your system specs) Have you tried running with the case open and do you get the same temps when you do that?

Full spec:

MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z270F

CPU: i7-7700k no oc

RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB CL16 3466 MHz

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition

Fans: 3xLL140 + 2xLL140 on H115i

Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut

It took 2,5 min to get coolant temp from 35°C to 45°C during Far Cry 5 test. After 5 minutes it gets 48,4°C.

attachment.php?attachmentid=34543&stc=1&d=1542204632

No, I am afraid the fans have nothing to do with this and you are likely correct in your theory it's a blockage. The coolant temps are out of bounds, even with environmental factors added (it would have to be 60C in your case). A final measure is to put your hand over the radiator exhaust when the coolant is 40-60C. It should be uncomfortably hot. It will probably be cool. No heat is getting to the radiator for dispersal.

Air from radiator is warm only above coolant inlet section even when it have 50°C. Whole air from radiator is relatively cool.

So it seems to be damaged :(

tempsnip.png.07f5a41621f8e38469a4fcf8eaad1280.png

It's not a total blockage or you could watch it go 45-50-55-60-65... right up to shutdown in about 30 seconds. However, if you are hitting 60C coolant, it is more than slight and the PC is essentially unusable in that state. You need to be careful until you get something else on the CPU. Once it heats up, it likely takes forever to come back down and likely only in a power off or sleep state.

Mobo reports PROCHOT by RED POST LED and throttling is noticeable. CPU Package temp gets 100°C and everything slows down but it still usable.

Anyway my CPU is weak OC base (lost in sillicon lottery :() so I wrote it off and I have better sample ready to replace.

But comparing H115i performance to it reviews and tests I was confused and wondered why my cooling behave so bad.

I'm going to start RMA, maybe Corsair replace it for me (I hope).

Mobo reports PROCHOT by RED POST LED and throttling is noticeable. CPU Package temp gets 100°C and everything slows down but it still usable.

Anyway my CPU is weak OC base (lost in sillicon lottery :() so I wrote it off and I have better sample ready to replace.

But comparing H115i performance to it reviews and tests I was confused and wondered why my cooling behave so bad.

I'm going to start RMA, maybe Corsair replace it for me (I hope).

As long as you are in the warranty period and have the receipt, they should.

LOL. Yes, this is usually my last ditch recommended remedy, although typically I suggest shaking the cooler rather than plonking the case. Obviously the later is more time efficient. Yeah, it can buy you some time, but clearly whatever is causing the blockage will come around again and this procedure is neither guaranteed to work or effective long term. I would still move toward a replacement. Regardless, you are better off than you were 5 minutes ago.

When you submit your ticket, I would focus on the escalating temps and high coolant level first, leaving the "hit and drop" out. It leaves open the possibility this is an air bubble causing this issue and it's not. That will cost you a few back and forth emails. If you get into that part of the discussion, let them know this a a reoccurring problem. Bubble trouble is random and usually infrequent. When you have to this every few days or every few hours, you have blockage.

Archived