Corsair Community

16 GB Flash Voyager USB 3.0 stopped working

cristi222

Hello, I bought a Voyager 16gb USB 3.0 flash drive ( CMFVY3-16GB ) about 2 months ago from my local IT retailer. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium x64 bit.I formatted it to NTFS right after I bought it.

It worked perfectly until like a week ago when it was being recognized as "Removable disk (G:)" and keeped prompting for a format. Before it was recognized as "CORSAIR (G:)" and I could see the capacity, used/unused space jus like a local drive. I formatted it, it said that it didn't work and had to try again. Then I could access my drive normally. I safety removed it and plugged it once again, and now a message pops up saying : "Please insert a disk into removable disk (G:)" and nothing else. All these were happening while the flash drive was plugged into USB 3.0 port ( Fresco Logic).

I plugged it into a USB 2.0 port then, same story. I tried to format it with no success, unplugged/plugged it back and then the please insert a disk into removable disk message popped up again.

I then tried to plug it into a USB 2.0 port I've never plugged it before. It installed drives and nothing worked.

In all the cases when trying to safely remove it , it is called "Innostor ........." , ..... being a bunch of letters/numbers. I tried Uninstalling all USB ports ( then started windows again to automatically reinstall them ) still no luck. I tried changing driver letter... still not wokring. Now windows sometimes detects my flash drive as removable disk G: ( Z: into a USB port as I tried to change to letter) , and sometimes it doesn't detect it at all. Sometimes the flash drive light blips and sometimes not.

I researched internet for similar problems, everywhere they told me to change drive letter, to format ( I can not format it anymore as it sees it with unknown format and with 0mb storage space). I also tried some formatting programs I found on the forum, but none worked.

I think I will have to replace it... I have a 5 year warranty.

Any ideas on how can I fix the flash drive? If it isn't possible, then how am I going to replace the flash drive? I didn't buy it from Corsair Directly, but from a local IT retailer as I said before.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the same problem. They replace the flash drive for a new one. After 40 days I am having the same problem. Now some times the machine recognize the flash drive and I can read it, but Not able to format or delete. It says write protected.

I looked online and this is a common problem, don’t know why the keep selling them and gaining a bad reputation. I have been using their products for years with no problem (mainly Power supplies), the memories that’s another story.

Now I got me another RMA number. I am supposed to send this one back, but I have personal information and I can’t format it.

Keep in mind that these Flash Drives are no reliable.

• Corsair Employee

demian

The USB3 Flash Voyager has not displayed this symptom so far that I have seen, what is the make and model of system you are using it on?

And what is the problem exactly?

And please let me know your previous RMA number and I will contact you personally to get it looked at.

cristi222,

Please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can repalce it.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. With the same model flash drive. It's only about 4 months old now and I didnt really use it a whole lot. Maybe a dozen times.

It was working fine on my windows 7 laptop until I went to school and plugged it into their mac compters. It did work fine on the Mac. I actually plugged it in transfered some files to the Mac and ejected the drive. at the end of the night I plugged it back in transfered updated files back and ejected the drive.

When I got home I plugged the drive into my laptop and it popped up that drivers were installing then nothing. nothing showed in windows explorer. Looking at the device manager it showed 2 things when plugged in.

Under disk drives is showed Innostor NAND USB Flash device. Looking at the volume info for that it said capacity and used space were 0 MB

Under portable device it said E: but looking at the properties for that it had a error "this device can not start error code 10. When attempting to just use the run command to open up E:\ it just said the drive can not be found.

Now it doesnt even show anything. I plug it in and the light flashes twice then nothing.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 1440 laptop if that helps any. I'm sorry I dont know the type of Mac or the Mac OS my school uses at this moment. I did request a RMA and waiting for them to contact me. But thought I might post this for RAM guy or anyone else for an example. I can get the Mac models and OS next week if you want.

I have the same problem as described here. I purchased my device about 3 months ago, as I wanted a storage that was fast and large enough for my important backups. I went through the process of formating and creating 2 partitions (1 NTFS and 1 FAT32). I was bale to back up some music and documents ok, to both partition, read and overwrite files ok. However after about 1 month, I was not able to get/view my files, in windows it comes up asking to be formatted. In linux the same.

As I had another smaller USB storage, I used that as a temporary solution for my smaller files. Today I decided to check the Corsair site to seeif there was any updates etc. for this device, and not finding anything, I have come to this forum to get more info.

My device was bought through and online supply in the UK. I will be checking their site to see if they have any issues reported by customer who have bought this product.

It does appear that there is something wrong with this device, that is causing the failures. And I am sure there are many purchaser of this produce who have not bordered to do anything about it. I myself could easily have been one of those.

Is it possible that these are a faulty product batch. I would very much like to have a replacement, but not have to repeat the same again.

What is the best course of action to move forward and get this resolved?

Exact same issue here : My device worked well for a couple of months, I had it formatted as FAT 32 then as NTFS later when I needed to store large files, and it worked OK (I was able to transfer the files). Today I plugged it in and the LED kept blinking ; I tried another USB port, rebooting the PC, even another PC, to no avail. Windows in unable to access the drive, only sees a "Removable Drive" ; no info on the properties window (no filesystem, no indication of available space) ; the "hardware" page indicates "Innostor NAND Flash USB Device". What I'd like is to have it replaced with another model ; this one seems unreliable in addition to being bulky, and not faster than a GT on USB2.

Edit : I just put a RMA request, case number 2380614

I have the very same flash drive with the same problem. I have replaced 1 already and this is the second flash drive that has this problem :(

The first flash drive lived 1 week, the second ~ 2 weeks.

I just cannot believe this is happening.

• 1 month later...

I would just like to note that revision 2 of the device (CMFVY3S-32GB ) still has the same fault!

After receiving the original (CMFVY3-32GB) Corsair Voyager USB3.0 32Gb, I formatted it to NTFS and it worked fine for 3 weeks after which it appeared to exhibit intermittent problems. After which when inserted the LED flashes rapidly and it is only visible to the system as an Innostor NAND flash device. No volumes are associated with it. The drive was tried in numerous computers with numerous OS's all with the same result.

Exactly the same fault was exhibited with the following 2 replacements almost exactly 3 weeks after receiving the replacement.

Replacement 3 was revision 2 of the device. It was much better size and slightly faster. I was finally pleased figuring that the new revision would obviously not exhibit the same bug. I was wrong! Just short of the 3 week mark and the device exhibited exactly the same fault as the previous ones.

So far it appears to take 6 weeks to process a return and the device works for just 3 weeks before developing an identical fault. Each time I have to PAY to return a product which is clearly not fit for purpose. Each time I have to fall back to my 16Gb 0CZ Rally2 which has worked perfectly since I bought it 3 years ago. I need a device which can be relied upon, clearly Corsairs standards have slipped!

Having also foolishly purchased dozens of Corsair Force Series 3 120 GB SSD and having to deal with all the problems associated with them I have to ask why I would ever purchase another Corsair product?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i bought mine there's 2 weeks, don't work anymore, i bought a corsair to be shure to have any problem, and i lost all my data :(

and now i see there's no solution, quite bad.

and the link for the RMA is not working.

So what can i do??

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I know this topic is month old But funny thing. I got my Flash drive on Wednesday (from ebuyer.com) and it's stopped working after 3 days. And when I was going to copy files from drive to my computer... Filling forms now. Any chance of recovering data?

Yeah same problem here.

My Corsair Flash Voyager GT USB 3.0 32Gb just stoped working after I formated it to NTFS. From the dozens of threads regarding this problem, it is pretty obvious this is a faulty product. The question is, why isn't Corsair doing anything about it?

Please don't tell me to fill in the RMA. A new faulty flash drive won't fix the problem.

Write it off as a bad purchase. Keep returning it when it goes faulty as it becomes costly for them and hopefully eventually they will get the message that there IS an issue. Just ensure that you do not use the drive for critical data when it's returned!

I can't help but notice that many of us that are experiencing the failures have formatted the drive to NTFS, could this be the root of the problem? Personally I need NTFS because of the FAT32 filesize limit and exFAT is not an option as I use them in many XP and Vista machines that may not have been fully Service Packed up.

Just got my last RMA'd drive back. Only took 5 and a half weeks this time a 3 day improvement on the normal 6 week turnaround!

Let's see just how long drive 5 lasts!

I may just experiment and exFAT the drive and use one of my older reliable other manufactures drives for Service packs. I suspect that even using exFAT the drive will fail though and using FAT32 just isn't practical for me under any scenario.

Scrap That!! This one hasn't even lasted two days!!!!!

1) Got my Flash Voyager 32Gb USB 3.0 (CMFVY3S-32GB) back yesterday.

2) At work I Formatted to NTFS via USB 2.0 Port on a Tyan Thunder n6650W (S2915-E) in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64.

3) At work I Created my utils folder and copied around 1Gb of utils onto it via USB 2.0 Port on a Tyan Thunder n6650W (S2915-E) in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64.

4) Got it home and plugged into my home PC via USB 3.0 Port on a ASUStek M5A99X EVO in Window 7 SP1 x64.

5) LED flashes constantly and driver installs as Innostor NAND Flash USB Device with no media.

6) Tried it in 2 other Windows PCs with the same result.

None of my other drives fail!

So far returning the drive has cost me more than the original cost of the drive!

The time taken to return and replace is excessive!

THIS IS NOT AN ISOLATED ISSUE!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have now had to replace my third Corsair Voyager GT USB 3.0 32GB drive in less than a month (At this point I've almost paid in shipping what one costs from newegg). These are used to load a virtual machine for the clients I service and I have 10 of them on hand for the purpose of reselling to those clients. I chose corsair for quality and apparently that was a bad decision.

Corsair, what are you actually going to do to fix the problem rather than send me another drive that will fail in weeks? This is completely unacceptable especially when I end up having to pay for shipping over and over.

Well unfortunately this is not the drive that was a replacement for an RMA it's another from the box of 12 that I ordered all at once (thinking Corsair would be reliable) ironically the replacement is sitting on my doorstep right now. Too bad I just lost 24GB of data...

I am having the same problem with CMFVYGT3-32G.

i work under LinuxMint 9 Isadora.

I have four partitions there 1x FAt32 +3x ext4, these have heavy load, and are mounted -o noatime,errors=remount-ro, (ie. do not get access times recorded to reduce write load).

All tools i tried fail as "Read Only", even the direct hardware cloning with sudo dd (as well as reformatting with sudo gparted/parted/gdisk or whatever). ext4 partitions are not mountable any more, even read only.

I do not want to recover my data (it is only OS). But I depend on my second, brand new CMFVYGT3-32G for working, and booting my system. i have a single point of failure in my system! That means, I have to search urgently for a reliable device.

I just got RMA #2621529: "Please send back!" No answer to my inquiry for a repair tool (Well, it is night, and no one has really read my messages). Let us wait a little bit.

Bye, Prometheos

Write it off as a bad purchase. Keep returning it when it goes faulty as it becomes costly for them and hopefully eventually they will get the message that there IS an issue. Just ensure that you do not use the drive for critical data when it's returned!

I can't help but notice that many of us that are experiencing the failures have formatted the drive to NTFS, could this be the root of the problem? Personally I need NTFS because of the FAT32 filesize limit and exFAT is not an option as I use them in many XP and Vista machines that may not have been fully Service Packed up.

Just got my last RMA'd drive back. Only took 5 and a half weeks this time a 3 day improvement on the normal 6 week turnaround!

Let's see just how long drive 5 lasts!

I may just experiment and exFAT the drive and use one of my older reliable other manufactures drives for Service packs. I suspect that even using exFAT the drive will fail though and using FAT32 just isn't practical for me under any scenario.

Hi Prisoner,

You can see in my post 22, that the problem extends also to Linux, with filesystems FAT32 and EXT4. In my case not only the partitions are affected( /dev/sdb1, sdb2 aso.), but also the Block Device (/dev/sdb, MBR, partition table). Will any file system be better? i must doubt.

Bye, Prometheos

I bought this drive a few days ago and it has already broken, I put it in the USB3.0 slot at the back of my PC, the blue light flashes a few times for about 5 seconds then goes out. The drive gets quite warm too. My PC doesn't even detect the drive any more, on the odd chance that it does, the drive says 'Please insert a disk into Removable disk (I:). When I tried to format it 'My Computer' freezes and won't restart. Not very impressive, memory seems to be a problem for Corsair, last year alone I had to send back my RAM four times.

Hi, sadly i have the same Problem now for the second Time, i just got a new 16 GB Voyager 3.0 and after i used it 3 Times it doesnt even show up in my Device Manager.

Is Corsair workin on this issue?

Is ther any different Hardware in the GT Series?

I just ordered now that One.

Greetings from Germany

Archived