Corsair Community

H110i GTX CPU Temperature Problems

MrKyle

Over the past month or so I've noticed that my CPU temps are way higher than they should be with my H110i GTX cooler - I am now seeing idle temperatures at 50-55C under no load and the fans are constantly running at maximum.

I've tried re-seating the cooler on the processor with new paste and it seemed to improve a bit for a week or so, with max temps under load reaching ~65C on balanced mode and 55-60C on performance.

Just this evening the max temps are now hitting 90-94C under load on balanced profile.

Pump still shows as running at 3k rpm and I don't know what else to look at, I'm assuming the cooler is dying/almost dead? It is about 3 years old now.

Any help/thoughts appreciated! Specs are below

5930k stock, no OC

16 GB - Vengeance® LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 (CMK16GX4M4B3000C15)

X99 Pro USB 3.1

GTX 980 TI Hybrid

H110i GTX AIO Cooler

If you are idling in the 50s, then it is likely the coolant temp is above 45C (H110i GTX Temp in Link). The key to differentiating cooler issues from everything else is how that temperature behaves. 45C+ is too warm for non-load conditions. Most people will see an idle coolant temp of +4-7C above their room temperature. Case layout and other hardware can have an influence, so these are not hard numbers. Nonetheless, if it is 20C in your room and H110i GTX Temp is 50C, you have a flow problem.

The other thing to watch is how it behaves. On a cold boot or wake from sleep, it might look normal. It warms up to the +4-7C range, but then keeps going, slowly creeping up all the time and not coming down. This is another sign the radiator cannot shed heat. You might also notice cold exhaust air from the radiator. The air coming off it should be the same temperature as the coolant temp in Link. When there is a clear disparity, the coolant is not getting to the radiator fins to shed its heat.

After a few hours of use coolant temp in link was about 44-48C I believe.

Just did a cold boot first thing this morning and it is sitting at 29C - will update how it progresses over the next hour or two.

Still worth trying to RMA this one, or should I just get a new AIO cooler?

thanks!

If it is a meaningful flow restriction, you won't have to wait hours... minutes at most. If it does take hours, then it you need to make sure it is not a product of case temperature. A 980 Ti is certainly enough to do that. However, it seems like this is a more recent development so unlikely that alone is the single factor.

Another thing you can do is run a short CPU only stress test. Do something mild like Intel XTU or AIDA64 in case there is a more serious issue. You only need 10 minute runs to assess if the cooler is working. Beyond that other factors can cloud the analysis. A 5930K clocked at 4.5 with a strong cache overclock will still only raise coolant temp about 6C with moderate fan speed. If you see a coolant delta of well beyond that in a short interval or if the cooler cannot bring the temp down most of the way to the origin within 5 minutes after the test, that does suggest a developing problem.

So just sitting around on the desktop and you are up to +20C coolant temp over ambient? It certainly reads like a flow problem and this will get worse, not better.

Contact Corsair Tech Support through the Ticket System link in the margin at the top of the page. In the ticket, focus on what happens to the coolant temp just sitting at idle and mention the fans and pump are basically maxed out during that interval.

You might be able to use this in the interim, but watch your loads. The coolant temp becomes the effective minimum CPU temp, so that rather innocuous 55C peak core temp at 25C H110i GTX temp becomes a more concerning 80C at 50C coolant temperature. If things get worse, you can try tapping the hoses or take of the pump head and give it a good shake to dislodge the gunk blocking the entrance strainer. However, there is no guarantee this will work and it is possible to make it worse as well. Even if you are successful, what goes around comes around another day and you need to move toward a replacement. If you are like me and can't really afford to go down on that machine, you might opt to get a new cooler and use the replacement H115i as a back-up or for another system.

So just sitting around on the desktop and you are up to +20C coolant temp over ambient? It certainly reads like a flow problem and this will get worse, not better.

Contact Corsair Tech Support through the Ticket System link in the margin at the top of the page. In the ticket, focus on what happens to the coolant temp just sitting at idle and mention the fans and pump are basically maxed out during that interval.

You might be able to use this in the interim, but watch your loads. The coolant temp becomes the effective minimum CPU temp, so that rather innocuous 55C peak core temp at 25C H110i GTX temp becomes a more concerning 80C at 50C coolant temperature. If things get worse, you can try tapping the hoses or take of the pump head and give it a good shake to dislodge the gunk blocking the entrance strainer. However, there is no guarantee this will work and it is possible to make it worse as well. Even if you are successful, what goes around comes around another day and you need to move toward a replacement. If you are like me and can't really afford to go down on that machine, you might opt to get a new cooler and use the replacement H115i as a back-up or for another system.

So I went out and bought a Kraken x62 the other day - night and day difference so far. Idle temps in the 38-39C range on silent operation of the pump/fan. Load temps ~60C on silent. Can't even hear it!

I submitted a ticket to Corsair to hopefully RMA the H110i GTX so hopefully hear something back soon.

Appreciate the help!

• Corsair Employee
So I went out and bought a Kraken x62 the other day - night and day difference so far. Idle temps in the 38-39C range on silent operation of the pump/fan. Load temps ~60C on silent. Can't even hear it!

yeah, that's most likely because of H110i GTX not functioning properly but once you get a replacement, you'll see the difference in performance between those two coolers.

• 1 year later...
yeah, that's most likely because of H110i GTX not functioning properly but once you get a replacement, you'll see the difference in performance between those two coolers.

Hello all, just joined and my 1st post, and no prize for guessing which problem brings me here :roll:

So, maybe 2 years ago, I had removed the Corsair H110i GTX system to clean the radiator core; seems that cat hair plus the normal household dust pretty much blocks it up pretty good.

I moved the computer to desktop to reduce the chance of in taking as much dust and cat hair. It has been going great since then.

But after the recent Windows update it was running like glue, very slow, so I checked inside, sure enough, some core blockage but not as extreme as before. Removed and cleaned, got it back running, temperatures still very high 95C

Removed and checked the condition of the thermal paste, seems okay to me. Now, has reduced to 55C to 60C

I really was thinking the water pump was failing, system is from 2016. Another thing I did, looking at all the holes in the case, thinking this was where dust was getting in, I thought why not tape over them?

But with even more thinking, looking at the back fan intake fan, why would you have holes in the top of the case where that air would just immediately go out?

So instead of taping over these holes to exclude dust, I'm actually covering them up to keep the air in, and forcing the air to go out by way of the 2 fans on the water cooler radiator. More airflow = more cooling right?

Does that make sense to anyone, assuming you are still here. How are your coolers going? Any further problems, tips and suggestions?

Thanks, John :D:

2019-05-19_11-42-06.jpg.91fa92aa5afa74557384a3e1a0e8ef1d.jpg

Edited by TheSnowman
attach

Take a look at the H110i GTX Temp (coolant temperature) in Link or iCUE (whichever you are using). This should be more or less room temperature +4-7C at idle. I am pretty sure it's not and you are going to be the mid to upper 40s. That is a substantial amount higher than anything you should ever see at load.

Same advice as above. You can try tapping hoses, cycling the pump from low to high to low to high, tilting the case, etc., but these are going to bring short term relief only. If the coolant is in the 40C+ range at the desktop, you need to contact Corsair support to see about a replacement or go shopping now and re-purpose any replacement unit.

Edited by c-attack
Usual predictive text error

Take a look at the H110i GTX Temp (coolant temperature) in Link or iCUE (whichever you are using). This should be more or less room temperature +4-7C at idle. I am pretty sure it's not and you are going to be the mid to upper 40s. That is a substantial amount higher than anything you should ever see at load.

Same advice as about. You can try tapping hoses, cycling the pump from low to high to low to high, tilting the case, etc., but these are going to bring short term relief only. If the coolant is in the 40C+ range at the desktop, you need to contact Corsair support to see about a replacement or go shopping now and re-purpose any replacement unit.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Took the water cooler to the store that built the computer, bought a new Corsair 100i Platinum, all good now

They will assess that cooler and give me replacement, then I can eBay one for them :D: just not putting it in the shop for a week or more

Big difference, so quiet in here, fans were full on all the time before

BIG THANKS to ALL that responded, much appreciated, John

:biggrin:

2019-05-20_13-28-50.jpg.461745ea63c2b2988e35135fe808575b.jpg