Corsair Community

Nvidia nForce 590 SLI chipset SATA problems

grebemihai

Hello,

I have an ASUS M2N32-SLI Premium Vista Edition mother board with a nForce 590 SLI chipset (http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1699_2.html).

I recently bought an SSD CORSAIR 90GB/SATA3 2.5 CSSD-F90GB3-BK and I'm having a hard time making it work at a SATA2 speed.

From the start I can tell that in the BIOS setup i don't have any AHCI option, probably not even supported by the MB.

So far the SSD is a great upgrade over the classical 7200 rotations HDDs but it's working only at a SATA1 speed.

First I installed the latest nForce drivers and the SSD was listed as a SCSI Disk and when bench marked the max write/read speed was about 80-90MB/s.

After researching a little bit over the internet the nForce chipsets users suggested that after updating the nForce drivers to manually revert the nForce ATA controller back to the MS W7 default one and that helped me to reach SATA1 read/write speeds - 130-150MB/s.

There are users with the same mother board but using SSD from other manufacturers which can run their drives at SATA2 speeds either from the start either after updating their SSD's firmware.

Dose anyone else have suggestions about what can I do to make my SSD to fully work over SATA2 ?

Edit: my SSD has the new 1.3.3 firmware

I will repost something i said in one of the other threads:

While I'm stuck at a SATA I speed others having the same mother board and having the same problem now run thier SSD on SATA II only because their SSD manufacturer released a fix for this.

For example you can check:

http://www.overclock.net/t/366989/of...-sli-club/8990 -> post #8996

http://www.overclock.net/t/366989/of...-sli-club/9050 -> post #9058

and if you are curious and look around others posted ATTO benchmarks with their SSD @ SATA 2 - 200-250Mb/sec vs mine 130-150Mb/sec.

What i have to repeat is that this people have the same MB but own a different maufacturer SSD, had the same problem, but it was fixed later by SSD firmware updates.

It is just sad that my Corsair is stuck at a lower speed :( :( :(

Can Corsair address this issue also in a future update ?

After my last comment I thought I'd check if there were any firmware updates and guess what, ******** made one available yesterday, and it fixed the problem!

This is not applicable as I have already stated. You need to read your own examples carefully. This is for a Marvell based SSD, not for a SandForce based SSD. Also, the M2N SLI is the Nvidia 560, not the 590.

The M2N32 SLI has the Nvidia 590 chipset which should have slightly better performance than the 560 chipset. However, since it is NOT AHCI compliant, we cannot be responsible for problem with obsolete equipment. The firmwares they are referencing are outdated and are from several months back. As I have already noted, our current firmware for the SandForce based drives is as current as any other manufacturer and is based on the latest release from SandForce.

Thanks for the reply. Don't take me wrong, above all I just wanted to point that there is a problem in the hopes that it can be easily somehow fixed.

I guess i will be stuck with SATA1 until a further larger computer upgrade. I wonder if the Asus's U3S6 controller would be helpful:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Accessories/U3S6/

Still regarding the Corsair marketing - on each box it should state the drive might not be fully compatible with some of the older mother boards + on the site to find a list with them. Put yourself in the place of a buyer - you see SATA3 product backward compatible with SATA1 and SATA2 and nothing else - this can mislead you in to thinking that as long as you have a SATA2 controller nothing can go wrong. Not everybody can totally change his computer to a new one every few months :)

• 1 month later...

Archived