Corsair Community

+5V fails?

ClintJCL

My old OCZ power supply dies. It was 3 years, 3 months old - and 3 months past warranty - so I was expecting it.

I order new one. Corsair TX750W power supply.

I test it thoroughly with a power supply tester. It's fine on all accounts; I tested every connection on the entire thing. It took awhile.

I run it in my computer for 5 minutes.

It dies.

I test it again with the power supply tester -- now the +5V is reading "LL" (out of bounds / low).

Why would the +5V get broken so easily? I expected more from something with 2000+ reviews on NewEgg, and a 5-star rating.

The power supply actually stays on and powers the fan if I only connect the 24pin motherboard power -- but of course the POST code on the motherboard says 87: Check CPU core voltage (because the CPU is receiving no power if you don't plug in the 8pin connector).

Regardless, the power supply itself fails on the +5V even when not connected to the motherboard at all..... Sigh.

• Corsair Employee

That might be a MB issue and when testing with a PSU tester there may not be enough load on the PSU and why you are getting strange readings. What does it show in the BIOS when it posts?

In Addition, that MB may take an older ATX Spec like ATX1.3 but I would check with the manufacturer if you can.

That might be a MB issue and when testing with a PSU tester there may not be enough load on the PSU and why you are getting strange readings. Whjat does it show in the BIOS when it posts?

It actually posted just fine and booted into windows 7 and everything -- and then the PSU died.

Also, I tested the PSU before this happened, and it tested out fine, so the MB can definitely get the PSU tester to function under normal circumstances.

I already have an RMA replacement from NewEgg here ...

Archived