Corsair Community

RM1000i : Sparks and weird smell

kyle0782000

Hello,

Since several weeks, I have different weird phenomena. The power supply is already plugged on the wall. When I switch on the PSU with its own switch, sometimes appeared a weird smell (like a burnt component). Sometimes, I see a flash. Today, I had a spark. :eek:

Please, help me ! Is it normal for a PSU with this power ? Should I ask a RMA ? Thanks for your answer !

You could opt for an express RMA so Corsair send the new PSU then you return the old one.

If you did this then you could return the "new" cables which may be less hassle than needing to remove all the old ones from the case.

Many thanks for your answers. I will send additional information to my RMA request.

I have decided to put the PSU out of my 900D if need be (spark, smoke... or fire ?).

First, when moving the PSU, I heard noises like small gravels running in the PSU. :question:

Tilting slowly the PSU, 3 or 4 small green pieces appeared. One of them felt from the honeycomb rear panel (see photos hereafter). Is there a link with my problem ?

http://nsa38.casimages.com/img/2017/05/20/mini_170520010705275988.jpg

http://nsa37.casimages.com/img/2017/05/20/mini_170520010708691757.jpg

I put my hardware this way

http://nsa38.casimages.com/img/2017/05/20/mini_170520010705531220.jpg

First, at the power on through the switch, a flash appeared in this area :

http://nsa38.casimages.com/img/2017/05/20/mini_170520010602245892.jpg

At the PC start, new flash in the same area.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have received the replacement PSU today. :sunglasse

I plugged all cables, power on, no flash. :sunglasse

Start of the system, beginning of a slight noise like coil whining. :sigh!:

Under a game or Unigine Valley benchmark, I have a significant coil whining. This new PSU has a completely different behaviour compared to the fisrt one which was an example of silence. :greencry:

I will try to post a sound file. I think I will ask a new RMA for the spare PSU but shipment fees are in always in my charge... I hope having not identifying out of order PSUs until having the good product.

What do you think about it ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone !

Just a message to inform you that Corsair team gave a great support. :):

A first replacement PSU presented a significant coil whining, compared to my initial faulty unit which was very silent. A new PSU was shipped. This latter presents a slight coil whining under low load, and the noise does not become very lounder under charge. I have decided to keep it.

• 10 months later...

Hello,

After several months of use of this pleasant replacement PSU (almost one year), regularly since about 2 weeks, I have "Pow !" sound when I switch on the PSU with its own switch. Once, I used the switch of the power strip the PSU is plugged on, rather than the PSU switch itself. But at the power on, I got "Pow !" too.

I supposed that during the few tenths of second, high current could appear, but could I have an advice from Corsair team ? Is it normal ? Using a powerful PSU, what would be your recommandations for switch on/off of your products ? Why does this noise appear at present whereas there was no noise since the beginning ?

Thanks in advance for your answer. :hihi:

Note : I didn't look after the PSU in detail if a spark was visible, even with an accurate view through its honeycomb rear panel.

Edited by kyle0782000

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

After several months of use of this pleasant replacement PSU (almost one year), regularly since about 2 weeks, I have "Pow !" sound when I switch on the PSU with its own switch. Once, I used the switch of the power strip the PSU is plugged on, rather than the PSU switch itself. But at the power on, I got "Pow !" too.

I supposed that during the few tenths of second, high current could appear, but could I have an advice from Corsair team ? Is it normal ? Using a powerful PSU, what would be your recommandations for switch on/off of your products ? Why does this noise appear at present whereas there was no noise since the beginning ?

Note : I didn't look after the PSU in detail if a spark was visible, even with an accurate view through its honeycomb rear panel.

Hi, I have the same issue with my Corsair RM1000i, but it only happens sometimes, as in once every couple of months at most. In addition, very rarely it is so loud it makes me jump and is more like a bang.

I have replaced my surge protector in case it was that and am waiting to see whether it recurs. However, the PSU appears to work absolutely fine and all voltages are correct according to Corsair Link.

What did Corsair say when you contacted them about this noise when turning on the switch?

• Corsair Employee
Hello,

Like ltron describes, I recommend trying a different power strip or double-checking again with a direct connection to your wall socket. It really shouldn't making that loud of a noise at all. You should be able to flip the switch to on/off without these kinds of issues in general.

• 3 months later...

This third power supply had finally a critical malfunction. This morning, while the PSU was powered on, I started my PC through the Obsidian switch. It led directly to the general disjunction of my electrical installation at home. :eeeeek:

I was afraid of having fried my whole hardware but after a complete check, I am lucky of having no destroyed hardware.

At present, the PSU is completely out of order. There is no way to start it... I have to request a new RMA, the third one.

@ Corsair team : is RM1000i PSU reliable ??

I thank you for the answer. Corsair support gave me an answer and they approved the RMA. Unfortunately, their shipping label does not integrate the adress of Corsair facilities where to return the PSU.

Technically, this PSU seems to be very sensitive to "inrush current" ("Poc!" sound, until little flash with time). Is there a mean to avoid such a phenomenon ? :sigh!:

• 7 months later...

Unfortunately, the inrush current could be do to the power delivery from the wall socket, it'll be difficult to avoid.

Is this harmful for the power supply? It still sometimes happens with the new surge protector (I changed surge protectors, see my earlier post) but it's much less often and not as loud. The power supply seems to work perfectly though and has not given me any problems whatsoever.