Corsair Community

does Corsair DDR4 come with Hynix chips?

DutchGamer1982

I am looking to replace my 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 Cas13 chips for different ones, because the ones don't OC very well.

from what i understand the kind of chips one wants are Hynix chips.

-is there any way to see whether corsair ddr4 modules contain Hynix chips?

Also does Corsair have modules (with hynix chips) that perform acording these settings :

Default : 64GB (4x16GB) 2400Mhz - cas 12 - 1.2V

OC profile 1 (supported) : 2666Mhz - cas 12 - 1.35V

OC profile 2 (not supported) : 2800Mhz - cas 11 - 1.5V

thanks!

You can see what IC type is used if you buy in an actual store. For Hynix you basically want a kit with Ver5.xx on the modules.

Other than that i don't think there are any officially DDR4-2666 CL12 or DDR4-2800 CL11 specced kits sold atm (from any manufacturer).

You can see what IC type is used if you buy in an actual store. For Hynix you basically want a kit with Ver5.xx on the modules.

Other than that i don't think there are any officially DDR4-2666 CL12 or DDR4-2800 CL11 specced kits sold atm (from any manufacturer).

So if I understand you there is no way for me to see if it's hynix, other than holding the fysical chips in my hand? -> there are not certain serial numbers that specify it? -> quite a problem with most good prices offered by webshops.

Regarding the desired speeds :

there is OFFICIAL and there is "official" you don't buy OC ram to leave it at stock speed do you?

-and asus motherboards like mine advertise with 12.5% OC values on ram and 40% on CPU.

making me read that as -forget warrancy, but 12.5% OC on proper ram should easely be achievable, double that if its 1.2V ram.

and there ARE kits sold default at 1.2V - 2400Mhz - cas 12, just not 64GB (4x16GB) kits... and I hope one of those is soon released.

Also I wonder sets sold at 1.35V usually run a little faster than sets runing at 1.2V, but does the 1.2V kit actually OC further because of more room for it?? or do both OC about 12.5% regardless of starting voltage?

So if I understand you there is no way for me to see if it's hynix, other than holding the fysical chips in my hand?

At launch there quite a few kits that were using Hynix exclusively. Nowadays many of the those even higher end kits can also use other types ICs. There might still be kits that are limited to special IC types, but as a non-employee i don't have any information on that and an actual employee might not be allowed to talk about stuff like that.

there is OFFICIAL and there is "official" you don't buy OC ram to leave it at stock speed do you?

I personally very rarely run my memory at stock speeds, but there is a difference between OC potential and rated settings - only the latter is actually guaranteed.

and asus motherboards like mine advertise with 12.5% OC values on ram and 40% on CPU. making me read that as -forget warrancy...

However that is just marketing based on their initial in-house testing.

Also I wonder sets sold at 1.35V usually run a little faster than sets runing at 1.2V, but does the 1.2V kit actually OC further because of more room for it??

OC potential varies with IC type and bin. More expensive modules / better binned ICs of a certain type usually have more OC potential than their lower bin counterparts. They need less voltage for certain settings or might be able to hit settings that lower binned ICs can't hit at all with any additional amount of voltage. This depends on the scaling of the IC type itself and varies a lot.

Even in DDR3 history there were some ICs with very limited voltage scaling and basically no OC potential to speak of, while others could hit +50% memory clock with barely any voltage increase.

Archived