Corsair Community

AX750 + Nvidia driver : strange issue

Hellow

Hello everyone !

I just mounted my new rig yesterday and I have notice that with the newest Nvidia driver installed the PSU is making sizzle sounds, like hdd activity sounds but in more eletronic and high.

So I came to read some topics and found some solutions as switching off C1-State option and others. But none worked out for me.

Except to boot windows in safe mod. Here no sounds come from the PSU. Then I decided to unistall the Nvidia driver.

So I have :

1/ Uninstalled 280.26 Nvidia drivers while in safe mode.

2/ Booted once more in safe mod ( still no sizzles ), launching DriverSweeper.

3/ Booted Windows in normal mode, miracle no sizzles !

4/ Installed old 275.33 Nvidia driver, sizzles has come back ...

I am wondering how a software can possibly affect the PSU ?

Anyone got a clue on that ? These sizzles gave me some headaches when i don't have my headphone on.

Cheers from France :)

Edit : I've test the PSU with an old GT8600, the PSU still do sizzles.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all,

I have exactly the same issue, I have received my new corsair AX750 a few day ago and i have sizzle sounds too.

Like Hellow when i boot in safe mod I have no stange sounds, my psu is quiet, the same when i boot in normal mod without video drivers.

I tried to install old drivers and tweakforce drivers but the problem is still here.

I have a sli of 2 gigabyte GTX460.

Any solution to fix this problem ?

First time i heard about sizzles.

if possible can you record the sound of it?

Can you try restore all NVIDIA settings to factory defaults from the control panel.

Is your Computer overclocked?

If yes, then save your BIOS settings and restore them to defaults

@Jilad

Can you take out one GTX460 and see if the sizzle (buzzing) noise is still there

Also to answer "I am wondering how a software can possibly affect the PSU ?" That software is a driver that controls your graphic cards. For example. if you overclock it the power draw increases and so the PSU has more load on it which may cause that sizzle sound.

Also to answer "I am wondering how a software can possibly affect the PSU ?" That software is a driver that controls your graphic cards.

Exactly! Without the drivers your GPU will not run . So loading those drivers essentially turns on your GPU increasing electrical load.

How old is your PSU?

I've exactly the same sound as Jilad but in even higher frequencies.

I've do cmos twice or more, stop my OC, turn off Asus Qfan options etc ...

I am not at home for two days, so I can't test the PSU alone but I think the result must be the same as Jilda's.

@peanutz94 : I've bought the PSU from Caseking on the 12 August, so it's brand new.

I'm going to play without Nvidia driver to get rid of these sizzles, it's really turn me crazy.

Exactly! Without the drivers your GPU will not run . So loading those drivers essentially turns on your GPU increasing electrical load.

Said in this way, it will mean that the GPU isn't running at all without these drivers. As the P55 chipset do not handle internal gfx chips ( as SandyBridge plateform does ) Windows will not boot at all, no ? So the drivers must changes something else.

I have purchased my PSU 4 days ago, and it makes this noise since the first boot.

I have tried to start my computer without any graphic cards, there is no noise (i can heard the start sound of Windows so i know i'm on the desktop), so it's confirmed that it comes from the graphic cards.

Said in this way, it will mean that the GPU isn't running at all without these drivers. As the P55 chipset do not handle internal gfx chips ( as SandyBridge plateform does ) Windows will not boot at all, no ? So the drivers must changes something else.

I guess i worded that wrong. I really need to get back to regular coffee. The lack of caffeine is killing me.

It will run. But my guess is that the Nvidia drivers do something to rout power differently than a generic windows driver. Adding more or less power to a certain component. Or enabling or disabling certain features that use more or less power.

RG posted

What happens if you do not install the driver for the Video card but have the card installed with default Windows Drivers?

Answered by Jilad

Like Hellow when i boot in safe mod I have no stange sounds, my psu is quiet, the same when i boot in normal mod without video drivers.

Install the latest drivers but turn down the clocks. is the noise still there?

If it stills occurs i would go to your local computer store and test these cards and PSU.

If possible, you have another computer plug the Graphic card and PSU and see if the noise is gone. if it has then it is the motherboard

To answer the no sizzles in safe mode

The reason why it is not sizzling is because the GPU does not need to load the eye candy Windows 7 has to offer.

I already tested my rig with two graphic card, my actual GTX570 and a 8600GT ( self powered by PCI ). The PSU was still doing a little noise but nothing to fear about.

I still have an old 880W Hiper R2 somewhere at my place, I'll test that as soon as I can ( surely tomorrow ).

@RamGuy : the point is that without any drivers for the graphic card everythings work well.

Anyway, I can also test both the PSU and the graphic card on a old Dell computer ( P4 and 2Go DDR2 ).

I'll grab you some news as soon as I can ;)

When i turn down the clocks, the noise is still here :/

I can't test the graphic card in an other computer because my 2 GPu and the CPU are fully water cooled.

I have formatted my SSD and reinstalled Windows, during the installation and on the desktop without nvidia drivers (VGA standard drivers), there was no noise, but at the moment when I installed nvidia drivers, the noise was coming back.

I have an other computer with a GTX260+, I will test the PSU on it.

I've tried the Vsync solution, no change at all.

I'm at home and will test the PSU on another mobo tomorrow, stay tuned.

Edit : I've test the PSU alone ( with one fan ), no noises came from the PSU, the fan spin but not the PSU's one. It just start to spin as I turn on the PSU but after 5sc it's turning off and the additional fan continue to spin. Is it normal ?

Edit 2 : rig tested with another PSU, no noises, no sizzles.

Edit 3 : tested the PSU on an old P4 mobo coming from a Dell Insipiron : no sizzles but the graphic card have done a weird noise. Not a sizzle but a long and continue high sound.

Edit 4 :I put the PSU back in the same conditions ( same graphic card, mobo etc.... ) but I tested it outside the case. A little sizzle sound is coming out from the PSU but I can barely hear it.

Edit 5 : The system came back into the case, sizzles sounds came back.

Archived