Corsair Community

Advice on memory

CoolmeadowKid

Hello all. My first post here. I'm contemplating building a new computer for my New Year's resolution. As you can tell from my current PC specs, it's long overdue.

This will be a basic gaming rig. Nothing fancy. Z390 motherboard that has been rated very high by multiple, seemingly respected reviewers who dig into the the individual components on the board to tell what's good, bad, and why. I5-9600 CPU, SSD, my current HDDs, case, fans, PSU, and I'll stick with the on board video and audio for now. Like I said. It's basic. I can add on in the future.

My dilemma is what memory to use... and I've been killing myself trying to decide. So many sites talk about the Samsung b-die chips for overclocking. But it seems to be almost impossible to determine which ones have them, or more importantly, which ones don't. The 4 computers I've built over the last 18 years have all had Corsair memory in them. I've never had an issue, so I'd like to stay with what's worked for me. I'm going to limit myself starting out to 16gb. (2X8)

I saw the closed thread called "AMD Ryzen Threadripper DDR4 Compatibility" and remembered seeing something in several of the forums about how Ryzen, at least in the beginning, were very temperamental on the memory and seemed to only overclock well with these Samsung chips, and that they work well for overclocking. I like the idea of getting the best I can afford, even if it isn't the top of the line. Can I take it that most of the memory on the above list would have the Samsung chips? Or is that too broad of a brush stroke? Is there any way to tell if a certain model has these or something else? I've seen some info that said version 4.xxx is Samsung, then further down in the same post say that the version 5.xxx of that same module was known to be Samsung. See my dilemma?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Jim.

Good afternoon. Not really a bump, just a new question for information. I've found a list of memory where some have been tested and show whether it's Hynix, Micron, or Samsung chips. About 1/2 evidently haven't been tested as the chip manufacturer spot is blank. They're divided by frequency numbers, so easy to see and find what you're looking for. If you're interested, I can copy and paste all of the Corsair modules here. Since it shows multiple manufacturers, I know it's not allowed to publish the link. Besides, that just wouldn't be right.

So I've found two models that have the Samsung b-die, if I can find the versions. Oddly, here in the DFW Metroplex (Texas) my search only showed one physical store that carries Corsair so I can go by and check the version number. They have the Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15, SPD Latency 15-15-15-36. The other one is the Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 with SPD Latency readings also 15-15-15-36. I wanted to price a 2 X 8gb 3200hz set, but nothing is showing as being Samsung.

Does anyone have any information on how many versions of each of these are available? Both have to be a specific version to be the Samsung. If all things are equal between these two, is there a reason to go with the Dominator Platinum other that it's a killer looking module? If not, that's 30 bucks I can put toward a GPU.

As always, thanks for any help you can offer.

Archived