Corsair Community

Two brand new AX860s, both making noise

shawnoen

Hi, I was in the process of downgrading one of my PCs and building another for my brother.

I've had an AX1200 in my system for just over 2 years and its worked perfectly.

I received two units today and installed one in place of my AX1200. No issues with install or when running. Shut it down for the night and I immediately started hearing this:

http://s216.beta.photobucket.com/user/mn_pikey/media/61FE702E-CEE0-4FEB-8292-D0EB36398D59-2536-000002D5765033C3.mp4.html

WOW, thats annoying and not at all acceptable. Mind you, the PC was TURNED OFF when this video was taken.

I thought it might be the PSU itself so I quickly install the other I received in its place. Same noise.

Thought it might be some odd issue with my PC since I have an audio card and cablecard tuner installed just above it on the motherboard.

Anyways, tried both in my brothers new system and same noise.

I'm interested in getting an replacement but I want to know if this is a known issue? Is there a known fix? I'm not interested in just "getting another one and giving it a try".

A quick google search shows there are several reviews with several other customers complaining of the exact same issue.

I don't have the time to waste messing with this, either it works or it doesn't and I'll return them and move on.

Tried a few more things and neither make noise when removed from my system and "jump started" with a fan or LEDs attached.

Must be something to do with my motherboard which is an EVGA Classified X58 E760.

I did notice the noise coincided with the pulsating Logo LED on the motherboard. Noise was loudest when LED was brightest. I thought I'd figured it all out so I unplugged the LED (never liked it much) but then the noise was constant....guess its something else.

My Kill-A-Watt shows only 1.7W when its shut off so I don't know what could be causing this.....was really hoping to use these power supplies.

Hi, am downgrading my sytem from 2x GTX580 to a single one in order to fit everything into a smaller case.

Not sure how settings will affect noise when PC is powered down?

Seems there is a problem with the new AX760 and AX860s based on reviews on Newegg and Youtube....

Opened one of them out to find out where the noise was coming from. ITs coming from the bigger yellow block in the center, not sure what part that is?

Anyways, below is another video of the PSU hooked up to my motherboard and nothing else and the system SHUT OFF.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc249/mn_pikey/55FDAF7F-3AF1-4155-8F96-B62369506A80-6851-000009E3EB83B9AA.jpg

http://s216.beta.photobucket.com/user/mn_pikey/media/B7049D3F-4733-4B4D-93F3-DC1245CE7ABE-6851-000009E441AD4F58.mp4.html

Not sure about the grounding, tried both of them in 3 computers, in 3 different houses and same thing.

AX1200 in the same system made no noise. Same for HX620 and HX1000....

Both of them have already been returned to retailer as defective per Corsair RMA departments instructions.

My plans to downgrade my system are on hold hoping there is some solution or fix for this and I can purchase AX860s or AX760s again.

Well I received mine about a week ago, just got to installing it now and I'm getting this EXACT SAME ISSUE + whinning (different sound, lower pitch) while using the computer.

I haven't even got around to gaming as it drove me nuts. Honestly at this point I'm about to do a return with newegg instead of an RMA since I bought this PSU as one to hold me down until I RMAed some other corsair PSUs (CX430 and a HX1050, different problems with both). I know you guys are good in terms of RMAs but this is a serious issue and by looking at the reviews on the newegg product page I would almost say that you may look into pulling the stock until you can thoroughly test the units.

I'm glad I found this thread. I posted earlier today regarding the exact same issue with my brand new AX760. I'm considering returning it to Newegg on Monday for a refund as I don't have much interest in RMA'ing the product just to experience the same issue.

I'm glad I found this thread. I posted earlier today regarding the exact same issue with my brand new AX760. I'm considering returning it to Newegg on Monday for a refund as I don't have much interest in RMA'ing the product just to experience the same issue.

Exactly what I'm thinking.. I would love to if I was guaranteed a working unit without issues..

Could care less about warranty, never had a problem with a single PC component in my lifetime (over 20 years of building).

Both have already been returned and refunded.

I am EXTREMELY surprised the one was not returned back to you. Usually if the sticker is broken they are rejected and sent back when received at Corsair.

Could care less about warranty, never had a problem with a single PC component in my lifetime (over 20 years of building).

Both have already been returned and refunded.

So a PSU was RMA'd with no problem even though it has been opened..? There is hope!!

I tried to diagnose and quickly fix a GS700 whose fan was making a strange noise by opening it myself. I am currently stuck with it as being honest about this to tech support didn't seem to be the best policy; they have told me an RMA would not be possible since it was opened.

Despite the hassle and expense of an RMA I would rather it than be left with an expensive, useless piece of kit.

I wouldn't be half as annoyed by this brand only I bought a CX430 on the initial build of this PC which had coil whine, returned that and got another CX430 with the same problem. Resulted in way too much downtime and hassle at a time where I had a lot of work on. I have built PC's for over 12 years and never had such bad experience with componentry.

3 out of 3 PSU's from Corsair defective, and Corsair have since tried to tell me that 'our failure rates are some of the lowest out there.'

My guess is that it was overlooked when received. They WILL NOT rma a unit that has been voided.

I would not place much hope in thie same happening to you. I'm not trying to mean about it, just realistic.

If you have units that are less than 30 days old, then Corsair will generally pay for the shipping costs of RMA's. So that may be something you want to keep in mind. or if you have a unit that needs RMA'd.

Hey Peanutz,

We've already spoken about this on another thread.

My argument is that if a PSU has a fault which is commonly reported, that Corsair is aware of, and that is the only fault, then regardless of whether it has been opened or not it should be valid for an RMA (at Corsair's expense).

It is not as if a user could, or would open a unit and somehow replicate a fault with the design that was present in the unit since creation.

My argument is that if a PSU has a fault which is commonly reported, that Corsair is aware of, and that is the only fault, then regardless of whether it has been opened or not it should be valid for an RMA (at Corsair's expense).

It is not as if a user could, or would open a unit and somehow replicate a fault with the design that was present in the unit since creation.

The problem is not a matter of the PSU issue or design as far as opening the case goes. Once that seal is broken and a user attempts to do anything to them ,then that is considered user damage which is specifically stated in their warranty policy.

They do not have to accept an RMA for a PSU that has been opened.

They would be glad to on the other hand as long as the user obides by Corsair policy's.

In the case of shawnoen , that is not normal. And other users who decide to open the case should not expect the same outcome whether the PSU is at fault or not. Besides he didn't state if it was returned to Corsair or another vendor who did not look .

Exclusions

This warranty does not cover problems or damage resulting from, but not limited to, any of the following:

Wear and tear associated with normal use

Any modification, abuse, accident, disassembly, misapplication, or unauthorized repair

Removal of any manufacturer label(s) or sticker(s)

Any improper operation, including any use not in accordance with any supplied product instructions

Connection to any improper voltage supply

Use of consumables, such as replacement batteries, not supplied by Corsair, except where such restriction is prohibited by applicable local law

Any other cause which does not relate to a product defect in materials or workmanship

Also excluded from this warranty are counterfeit products; that is, products that Corsair, at its sole discretion, determines were not manufactured by Corsair or any of its authorized manufacturing partners.

http://www.corsair.com/us/support/warranty/

I understand the strict policy, but when something like this happens it blurs the lines.

Although, yes, he does say: Both of them have already been returned to retailer as defective per Corsair RMA departments instructions. so maybe Corsair did not check themselves.

3 of 3 fail rate for me though and a paper trail to prove it. A lot of time and money wasted because of issues known to the manufacturer. Obviously I am annoyed and am constantly reminded by this noise. Poorly manufactured goods unfit for purpose should not be on sale in the first place. There's no point in me posting here because my issue falls outside the scope of the Corsair warranty declaration and into the realm of trading law, which I will now have to pursue. I just hoped that communicating my issue in a human way would allow it to be resolved without too much fuss!

• Administrators
So a PSU was RMA'd with no problem even though it has been opened..? There is hope!!
I understand the strict policy, but when something like this happens it blurs the lines.

No, he's stating that he returned it to the store. He did not RMA it through us.

If the store chose to accept an opened PSU, that is their prerogative.

I bit the bullet and got an AX860 after the XFX PSU I was going to get was oos. I'm also getting a squeal/coil whine with my unit, exact problem as OP. Tried all 3 power saving bios settings, GPU unplugged, put fan in hybrid & normal mode too, no dice. Tried the PSU in my old case PC, same whine. Tried a 5 year old HX520 in my new rig, it was dead silent.

I was hoping that Seasonic finally eradicated the coil whine with their KM3 range, sadly not :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixi-Dhryd7o

Man, I hope my new AX860 doesn't develop issues or im gonna be royally pissed at Corsair. Just wish I knew why it makes that random "click" noise now and then, especially when it goes on and off but beyond that, no issues in month of usage.

Archived