Corsair Community

Which Case?

Janomin

Hi all, first post and all that.

After finishing a recent build, I have pretty much talked myself into changing my case, which is currently a Silverstone TJ-09. Lovely case, but my upgrade to an MSi R6970 Lightning has somewhat forced my hand, as it barely fits, literally, due to the graphics card fan splat bang in the middle of the case, and also the cabling issues this has brought with it. The front panel cables only just reach the connections on the Mobo, with some of them being almost trapped in the space at the end of the graphics card, which also places them in close proximity to the reset button on my ASrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Mobo.

I recently started looking around at different options. Originally thought I would go with Silverstone as the TJ-09 has been a great case. I then realised that most of their new cases feature rotated motherboard design, which wouldn't really work for me, and there is also reports, again, of a very tight fit with the MSi Lighthing. I'm also very picky, I like my cases plain, and that doesn't leave me with much choice, only the Fortress options, and the only one that seemed to fit the bill was prohibitively expensive.

I then looked a bit further afield and realised the Corsair cases had been getting rave reviews, and also fit the bill on a design front. I can currently get hold of the following somewhat easily -

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Full Tower Case - Black - No PSU

Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mid Tower Case - Black

Corsair Obsidian Series 650DW Mid Tower Case - Black

Corsair Obsidian 800D Full Tower Case - Black (No PSU)

However I really don't know which is best for me. Main concerns are obviously space for the card, which is 310mm long, and also an improvement in cable management, which is a mess in the TJ-09. I have an external SATA dock, and also a NAS, so the ability to hotswap drives isn't massive. I am also using a Noctua NH-D14, so it would need to fit that.

Not sure if it posts my full system spec, but I did fill it out so should be in my profile if any other information is needed. Any recommendations?

The 800 did seem overkill to me, so will probably strike that one off the list, the 400 also doesnt seem like it has the removable HD rack which I suspect may be needed to fit the graphics card, its deceptively long, a good 2-3 inches longer than my old 4870's.

Of the other two, I guess I'm leaning towards the 600T rather than the 650, but can't find any pictures of the wiring for the front panel cables, which may tip the balance and make my mind up for me. I dont suppose anyone knows if they are generous with the wiring, and not likely to be stretched across the case in full view to the connections on the Mobo?

Archived