Corsair Community

H100i V2 User Manual typo re radiator setup as air in-take

mydna

Hi kind folks of this invaluable forum.

I have an H100i V2. In the user manual there is a picture of a PC case with the H100i radiator fitted at the top of the case. There are two arrows to show the direction of the recommended airflow, the air is pushed out of the PC case.

However, the literature accompanying this picture states and I quote, 'For the best cooling performance we recommend mounting the fans as an air "in-take" to your PC case'.

This contradicts the two arrows in the picture, which clearly show the air is pushed out through the radiator as an exhaust, not as in-take? It's obvious to me that the picture is correct, and the literature has a typo. Or am I missing something?? Corsair, is it time to sack the editor/proof reader for your user manuals? :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=33209&stc=1&d=1526387147

SAM_0720.thumb.JPG.29fd8baec7fe36c12f7c14e3d45b84d7.JPG

I seem to recall that Corsair recommend using their coolers as intake, purely because that is the way to get the coolest air through the rad, so it may well not be a typo. Under normal conditions, many/most people use a top mounted rad as an exhaust, because while the air passing through the rad may be a bit warmer, the rest of the system will almost certainly be cooler.

Then the literature is correct and the picture with the arrows showing pushing air out of the case is wrong? Did you see the picture I posted in my OP? [edit: I put the image inline with OP instead of as a link]

I personally have my radiator set up like in the picture, but my fans are facing the other way so I have it set up as an intake system. This is purely because of what you said re getting cooler air from out of the case going through the radiator instead of the warmer air from within the case passing through the radiator fins. To me it's logical and my tests show I get some 3C-6C cooler temps that way as opposed to having the fans the other way round.

But getting back to why I posted this subject, the error in the user manual is not small, something like that should not have been overlooked.

Not that this could blow up your PC/house/suburb or anything that catastrophic... am I being too critique?

Doing it the way that you have is perfectly ok, as long as you have enough fans exhausting air out of the case so that you have a balanced airflow and no dead areas where hot air can sit. Personally, I have 3 fans on the front of my case pulling air in and my H110i GT on the top of the case as an exhaust, which works for me. I'm surprised that you get such a big improvement, but if it works for you, that's great.

As to whether you are being too critical, I get annoyed by the Americans saying sodder instead of solder and using the word bring when they should use take, so who am I to criticise.

• Corsair Employee

Hi mydna, Is that an H100i V2 QSG? if so, we may have to update that manual because you are right, the illustration is not the direct representation of the text.

Yes, we do recommend rad fans to be intake for optimal cooling results, BUT that doesn't mean that you have to do an intake configuration on every single scenario. The rad/fan can be configured as an exhaust as well depending on your case configuration. Either way, it shouldn't really make a huge difference in terms of cooling performance, matter of fact, in some set ups, it is negligible.

Archived