The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 07:29 PM

POST ID # = 933441
Steve-B Reputation: 10
Default H100i v2 3-pin fans speed control

Heya,

can anyone tell me if I can set up 2 of the Corsair 460X RGB case's fans (SP120) to "work with" the H100iv2? I'm guessing just putting the 3pin connectors in the 4pin headers won't play nice. Can I just use mobo (Asus Prime Z370-A) headers for the radiator (also, case) fans for speed control (through Link..? Or other software then required?).

Many, many thanks, close to pulling the trigger on H100i but I'm a bit dazed with all the different constraints. Help much appreciated!

Old 01-02-2018, 08:39 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 933450
c-attack Reputation: 96

No, the 3 pin DC SP120-RGB will run at maximum all the time when connected to the 12v PWM controller on the H100i v2 or any other AIO with a build in fan controller. Yes, you can connect them to one of the motherboard headers and use BIOS/software fan control from there.

To get your case fans under Link control, you need a Corsair Commander Pro. Besides offering Link software control for 6 fans, it will also give you software control over the SP120 RGB lighting.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:27 AM

POST ID # = 933506

Thanks. :-) I embarrassingly didn't even know that the Commander existed.

If I choose to go the mobo header way, will the pump not 'freak out' not having fans attached?

Old 01-03-2018, 09:04 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 933513
DevBiker Reputation: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-B View Post
Thanks. :-) I embarrassingly didn't even know that the Commander existed.

If I choose to go the mobo header way, will the pump not 'freak out' not having fans attached?
No, it won't. You won't be able to control them in Link, though. But, honestly, you are better off with fans connected to the cooler. Unless you are overclocking, the quiet profile is likely enough and those fans won't been too loud.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:36 AM

POST ID # = 933516

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
No, it won't. You won't be able to control them in Link, though. But, honestly, you are better off with fans connected to the cooler. Unless you are overclocking, the quiet profile is likely enough and those fans won't been too loud.
I'd like to but I (just found out that I) can't Not going to use the provided fans but put the rad in front of the 460X's case fans.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:42 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 933517
c-attack Reputation: 96

This is a common issue with 460/570x case owners who want to utilize the SP120 RGB fans and need to mount the 240 in the front rail. Your specs are not listed, but many recent motherboards have some sort of fan hysteresis or delays to help keep them from racing up and down. Whether they are effective or not is another matter, but this is a safe and viable way to operate it. However, you will have more fan activity than if you running from the coolant temperature and the cooler's fan controller.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:25 AM

POST ID # = 933533

Thanks. Thought I had the mobo listed... It is, or rather, is going to be, an Asus Prime Z370-A. Don't mind more fan activity, I've never been big on whisper quiet systems - I find the hum of fans...pleasant, I guess? Anyway, perhaps Fan Xpert (supplied Asus software) will allow for decent fan control if going for a connected-to-motherboard setup.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:56 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 933538

Quote:
Thanks. Thought I had the mobo listed... It is, or rather, is going to be, an Asus Prime Z370-A. Don't mind more fan activity, I've never been big on whisper quiet systems - I find the hum of fans...pleasant, I guess? Anyway, perhaps Fan Xpert (supplied Asus software) will allow for decent fan control if going for a connected-to-motherboard setup.
My suggestion: don't use the Asus' Windows software ... stick to the BIOS controls. I, personally, found it extremely painful and unreliable and it is nigh impossible to remove the stuff once you install it ... even with their removal tool.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:14 PM

POST ID # = 933585

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and try via BIOS first or see if I can find other, well-reviewed fan control software.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:16 PM

POST ID # = 933586

What'd make most sense for the H100i in a 460X - pump to AIO_PUMP (a regular CHA, I read in another thread...) and two front case fans to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT orrrr run the pump to CPU_FAN, two case fans to random CHA_FANx headers and remap those with SpeedFan to CPU?

Old 01-03-2018, 05:19 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 933587

Quote:
What'd make most sense for the H100i in a 460X - pump to AIO_PUMP (a regular CHA, I read in another thread...) and two front case fans to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT orrrr run the pump to CPU_FAN, two case fans to random CHA_FANx headers and remap those with SpeedFan to CPU?
That makes sense. It would also be a good, easy way to keep the two fans synchronized. The advantage, also, of using the AIO_PUMP header is that, typically, it's set to 100% by default.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:00 PM

POST ID # = 933597

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
That makes sense. It would also be a good, easy way to keep the two fans synchronized. The advantage, also, of using the AIO_PUMP header is that, typically, it's set to 100% by default.
Which of the two makes sense? Also, rather sceptical right now that SpeedFan, which is old, will be able of controlling headers/fans running DC instead of PWM on a new mobo...

Old 01-03-2018, 06:03 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 933598

Ah ... sorry. Pump into AIO Pump Header and the Fans on CPU and CPU_OPT. In this specific scenario, that makes sense.
And I can't comment on SpeedFan ... never used it, personally. But since DC control is older than PWM control, I would think that it'd be fine. The bigger question is would it support your motherboard. Again ... not used it personally (though I've heard of it, to be sure) so I cannot say.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:35 AM
snapper69's PC Specs

POST ID # = 934029
snapper69 Reputation: 32

I used Asus Fan Xpert to control my fans for a while, when I couldn't get Link to work, it had a useful facility the introduced a delay (I used 10 seconds) so that the fans didn't ramp up and down with the CPU temps. However I seem to recall that someone posted on here that Asus had changed the software and that no longer applied. I didn't uninstall it, I just set it to not run at startup.

There is another option called SIV which is written by a former (prolific) but now banned member. It has a bit of a learning curve, but once you learn it, it works well.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:43 PM

POST ID # = 956050
Fynriel Reputation: 10

Sorry for digging this up. I'm in the same boat with a Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5.
I want to use the front SP RGB fans with the radiator and need to control their speed somehow. I need someone to walk me through how to achieve this.

Quote:
What'd make most sense for the H100i in a 460X - pump to AIO_PUMP (a regular CHA, I read in another thread...) and two front case fans to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT
I don't really understand the difference and function of all these different fan headers on the board.
1. What benefit would I get from plugging a case fan into CPU_FAN vs. a regular fan header?
2. And how would I set them up in the BIOS to control the fan speed?

Tags
3pin, 460x, fan, h100i