Corsair Community

Single or multi rail RM750i?

z3n0mal4

Hello,

I just ordered a RM750i as a replacement for my current TX850. Not that the old one doesn't do it's job, but because i needed a modular psu (and it looks better in my shiny new Obsidian 750D ^^).

Heading for the online manual from the site i discovered i have the option to go single-rail as opposed to the multi-rail default. And i'm not that advanced in psu matters to know what would suit my configuration better.

Any tips you can give me?

Thanks

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It definitely CAN make a difference.

I have a RX Vega 64 in my system. With link set to multi rail (850hxi) the system would flat power off when I loaded Far Cry 5 levels. Battlefront 2 made it 5-10 minutes. Same thing.

Set to single rail and the situation cleared up immediately.

• Corsair Employee
It definitely CAN make a difference.

I have a RX Vega 64 in my system. With link set to multi rail (850hxi) the system would flat power off when I loaded Far Cry 5 levels. Battlefront 2 made it 5-10 minutes. Same thing.

Set to single rail and the situation cleared up immediately.

Vega 64 wasn't around two and a half years ago when this thread was original made and I responded to it.

Yes. Vega 64 is a power hog.

You're using two PCIe connectors on one cable, aren't you? Not using two PCIe cables?

• Corsair Employee
Good guess and yes using one cable right now.

I may install a second cable though at this point now that I've got it working it is questionable how much it matters.

As long as you don't experience a short on one of the +12V rails, single +12V rail is fine. But you can use two cables, switch to multiple +12V rail and it'll work flawlessly.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive this, but I'm so glad I found this thread. I too had the same problem. HX850i and dual RX Vega 64. Switched to single rail and problem solved.

I found also others having the same issue even with Nvidia cards:

As long as you don't experience a short on one of the +12V rails, single +12V rail is fine. But you can use two cables, switch to multiple +12V rail and it'll work flawlessly.

Does this imply each pcie psu connector is own its own separate rail?

Unfortunately with psu shroud on, I can't route an extra pair of pcie cables through the back of the case anymore since it's cramped enough I have to force the back cover back on as it is.

In multi-rail configuration, it would be nice if the corsair link software could show power/current on each rail.

Also given the current situation wouldn't it be better if the default was single rail or at least include a warning in the manual or separate warning sheet in the box? People using it with other OS's are kinda screwed too.