Corsair Community

Which RGB fans to get?

jwar

Hello to all.

I am in the process of doing a new build. It has been 7 years since I have done a complete ground up build. Technology has surely moved faster than I thought it would. Just 2 years ago, I used my first AOI from Cooler Master and it's build quality seems to be better than Corsairs.

I recently purchased Corsair's RGB Vengeance DDR4 32g kit and a Corsair H115i. I would like to replace the 140 fans on the H115i. I was disappointed to see that the stock fans do not have rubber pads installed. It is like Corsair cheaped out or maybe I am just used to my Nepton 280L from Cooler Master, but I digress I wanted a unit I could look at the pump and temps hence the Corsair H115i and since I was doing Corsair. I went with the Corsair Ram also.

Now to my question. I need 2, 140 fans for my Rad and 1 140 fan for rear of my Case the ThermalTake Core X5. I will need 2, 120 fans for the front of the case wish there was an RGB in the 200mm size one can only hope. Corsair any plans there? I have not decided if I want to add 3 more 140s to the top

As you can see from the link http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hd140-rgb-led-high-performance-140mm-pwm-fan. Corsair is using the 140 HD rgb as both a case fan and radiator fan with what looks like as push/pull on the rad in the picture in the linked page.

Do I need the SP fans on the rad or the hd fans on the rad?

I guess my confusion comes from Corsair themselves the specs on the H115i shows two SP140L fans yet the HD140 page shows the HD 140 mounted on the rad. Any help would be nice thanks for taking the time to read my long winded post.

The H115i only supports 4-pin PWM fans so you should use 2 x HD140 RGB LED.

The LED fan hub can support 6 x RGB LED fans, but you can't mix HD and SP on the same hub, so it's sensible to get all HD fans.

The SP120/140 RGB LED fans are 3-pin voltage which is why you can't use them on the H115i.

The SP140L is a totally different fan to the SP140 RGB LED.

Thanks red-ray for the response.

I will assume then that the HD120 rgb fans will work as my 120 fans in the case? Also would I need the Lighting Node Pro or the new Commander Pro to control the leds?

Archived