Corsair Community

H115i Heating issues

xoam262

Hello,

Let's start with my specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 7

CPU: Intel i7-4790k with Corsair H115i

I have a question and not sure if it fine or not.

When I run stress tests (like Aida64) I noticed that initial temperature jumps from 30-35C at idle, to 65C in a matter of a second, after that temperature raises till 70-72C and stays there.

HOWEVER! Corsair Link shows all the time that the temperature of H115i (I assume water temp) stays relatively cold all the time (31-34C)

I had the absolutely similar issue with my previous H100i :sigh!: and this is not due the poor contact between the heatsink and the CPU (I pushed the water block toward the CPU and temperature didn't change at all)

AIDA.thumb.PNG.9ada07883d173d67f9e8185b7288870b.PNG

attachment.php?attachmentid=29049&stc=1&d=1495082978

So, what I have:

idle temp: 30-35C

CPU load temp: 70C

H115i temp: 34C

LINK.PNG.2a8dd70206e0243ecf352e2f6cbd2253.PNG

attachment.php?attachmentid=29050&stc=1&d=1495082983

Also, while running Prime95 on 4790k I have 100C ...

Is it the normal behavior?

Or do I miss something?

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

That's just the Intel fun, the TIM between the die and the copper "shim" that you mount your cooler on is really crappy. I delidded my 6700K and applied Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut to help load temps. Also Prim95's newer versions tend to really burn your CPU up (Since I delidded I hit a max of 75C where I was almost always hitting 100C in the newest Prime95).

Your fans RPMs are pretty low from the looks of it and your liquid temps are kinda high. I keep mine around max right before I notice them. Mine currently after playing a few games of Overwatch in a really warm room is at 34C. What you can try is getting better TIM for the cooler heatsink and see where you land. If you use the Conductonaut be careful when applying it as it is conductive and can short your board if you get it anywhere that isn't your heatsink. Or you can get the non conductive TIM they make called Kryonaut which is really good.

And as for that initial 65C spike that is normal, the program basically kicks your CPU in the face with a load and it jumps to 100% load.

That's just the Intel fun, the TIM between the die and the copper "shim" that you mount your cooler on is really crappy. I delidded my 6700K and applied Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut to help load temps. Also Prim95's newer versions tend to really burn your CPU up (Since I delidded I hit a max of 75C where I was almost always hitting 100C in the newest Prime95).

Your fans RPMs are pretty low from the looks of it and your liquid temps are kinda high. I keep mine around max right before I notice them. Mine currently after playing a few games of Overwatch in a really warm room is at 34C. What you can try is getting better TIM for the cooler heatsink and see where you land. If you use the Conductonaut be careful when applying it as it is conductive and can short your board if you get it anywhere that isn't your heatsink. Or you can get the non conductive TIM they make called Kryonaut which is really good.

And as for that initial 65C spike that is normal, the program basically kicks your CPU in the face with a load and it jumps to 100% load.

Alright... Thanks for the info, I'll take a look and maybe delid it too.

About RPMs ... I took screenshot after the series of stress tests. In the idle it is 27.2C (as right now) and I have Noctua 3000RPM fans, no need to run at the higher speed.

Hello there!

Like you, I also run an i7-4790K and I haven't noticed any issues (BSOD / Instant Reboot) with my build in the last 2 years that I've had it in this config and hasn't really bothered me. Your cooler appears to be functioning normally from your screenshot, so it's unlikely the cooler's fault.

Have you disabled any BIOS settings regarding the Intel processor? Have you overclocked it?

When I run stress tests (like Aida64) I noticed that initial temperature jumps from 30-35C at idle, to 65C in a matter of a second, after that temperature raises till 70-72C and stays there.

HOWEVER! Corsair Link shows all the time that the temperature of H115i (I assume water temp) stays relatively cold all the time (31-34C)

Yes, this is what is supposed to happen. The CPU heats up because you are running electricity through it. The cooling system helps conduct the heat away and then transport it somewhere else. The CPU is not submerged in the coolant so they will almost never be the same temperature. It takes a very specific amount of energy (watts) to raise the temperature of the coolant by 1C. However, at the same time you are adding heat via the cold plate, you are getting rid of heat through the radiator. This makes predicting the exact coolant temperature a little difficult, as fan speed and CPU load both affect it. In your case, the range listed on the graph (25-34C) is exactly what I would expect in a 20-23C room and with a typical processor. Your coolant temperature not increasing dramatically during load testing is a good thing. For every degree in coolant temp you go up, your CPU baseline temperature goes up by 1C as well. A system that hits a CPU peak of 65C with a 30C coolant temp, will likely hit 70C with a 35C coolant temp. The difference between actual CPU temperature and coolant temperature is not always meaningful, but it can help diagnose problems. Your's is fine. The more voltage you through at the CPU, the higher the gap between coolant and CPU temp. A low frequency, low voltage CPU will have a much smaller gap.

I don't see any reason to run Prime on HW or later CPUs, but if you insist make sure you note your peak Vcore, particularly if on the Auto voltage settings. Unless you have refined your overclock and BIOS settings well, it is likely you are going to overheat with that test. Prime 95 can be useful for binning CPUs. The ones that don't go into shutdown immediately have extreme overclocking potentiality. However, I don't see it as a useful tool for checking system health. Try Intel XTU for basic cooler testing. You can configure the graph to show your 4 cores individually and it has a smooth and even wave loading that makes it easy to spot problems. You can also use OCCT Linpack for a heavier heat test. This is not the same as testing for system stability, but often people try and do both at the same time.

Thank you a lot again!

I delided my 4790k ... and temperature dropped.

On the screen below I have 4.7GHz stable and the temperature is 56C

W-O-W!

attachment.php?attachmentid=29142&stc=1&d=1495511632

AIDA_delid.png.12aef718fd44cbff50e4de7a8d552a44.png

Archived