Corsair Community

Corsair H80i v2 questions!

Kary1983

Hi all,

Im setting up 3x AIO Cooler for CPU and 2x GPU. CPU will be using H100i v2 & 2x GPU will be using HG10 N980 with H80i v2 and i was wondering:

1) Can this H80i v2 use CHA_FAN header since CPU_FAN header is used by H100i v2.

2) If can use CHA_FAN header, can we adjust pump and fan speed via CL? (I will be using a nzxt internal usb header hub)

I will be using Asus Z270 Tuf Mark 1 mainboard with 2x 980Ti GPU.

• 7 months later...
Sorry, running Win 10 pro on Asus IX Code

H80i v2 is running well just wonder if anyone encounter this message on the task manager

"Corsair H80i v2 32 bit"

Am running 64 bit

Thanks

Is that the Link process in Task Manager? If so, that normal. Link runs as a 32-bit application. Not a problem.

• 1 month later...

Use the Link software to control the fans when they are connected to the H80i fan controller. The cooler is the fan controller, not the BIOS.

“AIO” or Water Pump headers are a marketing gimmick of recent times. They are chassis fan headers set to 100% by default with no other special properties. You can do this with any header. However, something must be on CPU fan to boot. Since cpu fan and its copycat opt have very limited uses, it is usually a good move to put the aio header there and save your other headers for other things. If you are not going to use the H80i fan controller, then you can connect it as described above on the aio/cpu/opt headers. This might make sense if you are not going to use Link, but be aware the cpu/opt headers have their own special rules. The fans are going to change speed constantly and that is not beneficial to cooling or your listening pleasure.

Okay so when I'm not gaming and I want to run my system as quiet as possible, I should have the AIO cable connected to the CPU_FAN header and then tone down every adjustable parameter in the Link-software? Should I run the pump at full speed at all times or can I lower its RPM as well?

You should have the AIO cable connected to the CPU_FAN header and set the CPU_FAN header to 100%/Full Power. You will control the pump and its fans via Corsair Link. There is a "Quiet" mode that will keep the stock fans at a reasonable volume.

You can set the Pump RPM to either "Quiet" or "Performance". You don't need to run it on Performance if you don't want to. Based on testing that I've done, the pump speed doesn't make a significant difference. The fan speeds, however, certainly do.

The other thing to consider, if you really want as quiet as possible, is to swap out the radiator fans for ML-120 fans. RGB isn't required; you can get a 2 pack of the ML-120 "Classic" fans on Amazon for around $US35 or so. They perform just as well as the stock fans but are much, much quieter.

No, you can leave the pump in "Quiet mode" all the time. The difference between its 2000 rpm speed and the higher 3000 performance is going to be minimal to non-existent in normal use.

For the fans, I would use the "Custom" mode allowing you to set your own curve points. You don't need a lot of speed. Slow and steady works for water cooling , unlike an air tower that needs to be reactive to CPU temperature. The fans will adjust their speed only when the coolant temperature (H80i v2 Temp) goes up. However, each environment is unique so we can't tell you to set it for 35%=25C, etc. You will have a baseline H80i v2 Temp that is substantially dominated by your room and case temperature. For most people this is +4-7C above their room temp. From there, a normal load might be +6-8C for a H80i v2. So you set the highest fan speed you can stand to +10C over you idle temp. You should not reach it under normal conditions. The one major caveat is your local environment has more influence that your voltage and CPU settings. Those settings that were perfect when it was Winter and 17C in your room will not be so perfect in Summer when it is 25C. You do need to make seasonal adjustments to the curve baseline.

H80i v2 placement is the wild card in all of this. While the above likely works in some locations, if it is mounted in the rear slot above the GPU you will see additional heat when under GPU load. Typically with that placement you need more speed for exhaust reasons alone.

Archived