Corsair Community

Question about CMPSU-650HX psu and its 6+2-pin PCIe connector cables

Hatseflats

Hello all,

I have a question concerning my 2013 CMPSU-650HX psu and the two 6+2-pin PCIe connectors that came with it.

These two cables have an extra 2-pins "tapping" from the regular 6-pins power lines instead having seperate power lines straight from the PSU.

Take a look at the following picture for more clarity:

12092602232l.jpg

At the moment i have gtx970 with uses 2 x 6-pins PCIe connectors.

But i am planning to purchase a GTX1080 which requires a 6- and 8-pins PCIe connector.

My question:

Are the supplied PCIe connectors sufficient for this or do i need to purchase another PCIe 8-pins connector cable which seem to have seperate pairs of powerlines such as accesory cable CB65HXPC2?

http://www.corsair.com/Media/catalog/product/c/o/connectors_3_2.png

Thanks!

Just received an answer from corsair support itself:

"The connections are sufficient for connecting to the aforementioned graphics cards. The capacity of the power supply will be based on your system specifications. We recommend entering all your components into a power calculator to verify if 650w is sufficient enough."

Grtz, Hatseflats.

Hello there!

I can definitely answer this question for you.

The additional +2 pins you see on the PCI-E cable are just additional ground wires. The actual power wires are the bottom 3 on the cable. The included cables in your HX650 are perfectly fine for a 1080. Always ensure that all connectors are properly install on your video card for proper operation.

If you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns, please let us know!

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Archived