Corsair Community

ML 140 problem

malcom499

Hi, guys I have a problem with Corsair ML 140 fans on Case Corsair Carbide 540 at the front of the case.

Watch the video

[ame]https://youtu.be/hZ_6eae3ISI[/ame]

The fans are new, they are silent (60%) but when they get inside the case they make a really big deal! I tried to put thicknesses, gums and other stuff but nothing, screwed to the case make an incredible sting

The fan does not touch and does not vibrate. Turning in extraction is silent.

Can I fix this issue or do I need to resell or RMA?

I say that other fans do not have this problem. (AF 120 / AF 140).

Sorry for bad english....

One thing of course , is your hand and arm make a better dampener than steel. When you touch the two, there will be some energy transfer. This can sometimes be addresses with foam or rubber dampeners.

A significant part of the issue is the 120mm mounting flange that is now blocking part of the fan. You are hearing air cutting around it. That is not a ML fan problem, but any high speed 140mm fan will do this when against it. The AF140's top out around 1000, just around where this becomes an issue. However, their steep thin blades make the sound more palatable. An ML or any other fan with flatter blades will have more interaction. 60%? So 1200 ish? Yes, you are going to hear it. I have other high speed 140's that do this as well and I can't stand to run them faster than 1000 rpm. Ultimately, I prefer 3x120 on the 540 for this reason, as well as the increased focused airflow compared to 2x140. This is also a reason why you may not want a 2000 rpm fan on your front intake. You don't need the speed and it is not always possible to completely control it. For some, the 100% boot power on is enough to ruin their day.

Thanks to everyone for the answers .... c-attack I think you're perfectly right, the problem is the mounting brackets of the 120 which maybe coupled with the type of ML blades produces this annoying noise (With the fans Original AF140L carbide no noise). I've tried various anti-vibration kits and the result is the same, just by moving the fan a few millimeters the noise shrinks slightly, but it makes no sense to do it.

I think I will continue to use the good old AF 120 (x3).

Yeah, I got up to about 7mm rubber gaskets on the front rail and still could not quite get the 'hum' out when at higher speeds. I switched over to 3x120 and it turned out to make a huge difference with SLI GPUs and later my m.2 drive. The 120's just have more direct focus and that helps with things like the above. I can tolerate up to about 1500 rpm on the 120's, but that is really for hot days and long loads. Nothing wrong with AF120x3 and I have used it. However, I eventually switched over to more hybrid style blades (medium angle, 7 or 9 blades) and found this was more effective for direct cooling. In a single GPU system, this may make no real difference, however it was a good 5C better on the chipset and m.2 drive in my multi-GPU system.

Hi, I mounted 3x 120mm and I think it is better. One of the three, the bottom one in the case I connected directly to my new 1080ti strix to better cool it, also near there is also the m.2 and so I was much more useful the 120mm fan (x3 ) And not x2 140mm.

Archived