Corsair Community

H80i both tubes warm

skiF

I am doing a new PC build and wondering if I should still keep my H80i to save some money. I'm upgrading because of constant overheating issues with my FX-9590 which is pretty "normal" for that cpu. Basically I noticed that both of the tubes are either warm or hot, isn't one of them supposed to be cold and the other hot? Could it possibly be defective?

The coolant will shed some heat after passing through the radiator, but trying to distinguish the temperature differences between a 35C steam and a 29C stream through the rubber tubing is a long shot.

You can see the coolant temperature as the "H80i temp" in Link. Most people have idle coolant temps 4-7C above room temperature, although there are a lot of factors involved. The load temps are usually 5-10C more. If you have very high idle coolant temps or a continually rising H80i temp while not loaded, that would suggest a problem. Can you describe your situation?

The coolant will shed some heat after passing through the radiator, but trying to distinguish the temperature differences between a 35C steam and a 29C stream through the rubber tubing is a long shot.

You can see the coolant temperature as the "H80i temp" in Link. Most people have idle coolant temps 4-7C above room temperature, although there are a lot of factors involved. The load temps are usually 5-10C more. If you have very high idle coolant temps or a continually rising H80i temp while not loaded, that would suggest a problem. Can you describe your situation?

My situation is that I was dumb enough to buy the CPU that I did, I just looked at the "stats" and figured ohh these numbers are bigger must be that this CPU is good. Lesson learned now I know how to do better research before buying parts. Anyways, on idle i get around 40-50 °C, I also downclocked to 4.2 Ghz for more stability. I'm definitely upgrading so I just wanna make sure this cooler is good to use on my new build because I'm having doubts.

red-ray, here's the screenshot:

eb2494f4516f0d19994d7b25f04a5475.png

red-ray, here's the screenshot:

I specified the [Home] tab, not [Configure] :roll:. The [Home] tab is easier to read and contains more information. What is the room temperature?

Both the H80i and disk drive temperatures are higher that I would expect, but as you failed to specify the room temperature I can't sensibly comment.

What case to you have? Use http://forum.corsair.com/forums/profile.php?do=extra to complete your PC specs.

Where is the cooler mounted, is it inlet of exhaust and what other fans do you have? What is the general case airflow.

Yes, that is a strange mix of temperatures. Unusual to see coolant temp higher than package temp in a working cooler, but the rest of the case is pretty warm as well. Going to have to work through this as described above. Is there some kind of case placement that might lead to warmer overall temperatures? Squeezed under a desk? In a cabinet?

Unusual to see coolant temp higher than package temp in a working cooler

No, some AMD CPUs report incorrect temperature information :!:.

I just wish CL4 used the correct temperature names rather than useless ones such as MB Temp #1 :(:. I can figure out MB Temp #1 is the CPU Temp, but Corsair should fix CL4 rather than me having to look at the SIV source code :eek:.

• Again I further feel CL4 should use meaningful names rather than the Temp #1 form it currently uses, same for the fan names.

Sounds like you've reached thermal saturation of coolant and radiator. Ambient air can only cool the coolant if there's a decent temperature differential; greater the temperature differential between ambient and coolant, the faster and more efficient cooling is. The issue is the amount of heat your FX-9590 CPU is producing, which is overtaxing the smaller capacity H80.

Remember that that CPU is rated at 220w thermal energy, which is being represented in your coolant temperatures.

An H115i should be used for that. H80 seems better for 65-125w (maybe even up to 140w) CPUs. H100 is good for 95w-200w. The extra capacity and larger radiator of the H115 helps it deal with the hottest of CPUs.

An H80 shouldn't be paired with an FX-9590. Whatever your next CPU is, it won't be quite as hot as that.

My Ryzen 1700x at 3.9GHz/1.3625v is taxing my H100iv2 ability to pull heat away from the CPU. Gets up to 74C under heavy workloads when all 16 threads are going full bore (100%); coolant, though, never rises above 40C after a few hours.

I specified the [Home] tab, not [Configure] :roll:. The [Home] tab is easier to read and contains more information. What is the room temperature?

Both the H80i and disk drive temperatures are higher that I would expect, but as you failed to specify the room temperature I can't sensibly comment.

What case to you have? Use http://forum.corsair.com/forums/profile.php?do=extra to complete your PC specs.

Where is the cooler mounted, is it inlet of exhaust and what other fans do you have? What is the general case airflow.

Corsair Graphite Series 230T Mid Tower Computer Case

mounted default as in top back of case as exhaust, there is no airflow since if I close the case with side panel the temperature just rises like crazy.

8ddebe85729ca14a10f825241be31901.png

Sounds like you've reached thermal saturation of coolant and radiator. Ambient air can only cool the coolant if there's a decent temperature differential; greater the temperature differential between ambient and coolant, the faster and more efficient cooling is. The issue is the amount of heat your FX-9590 CPU is producing, which is overtaxing the smaller capacity H80.

Remember that that CPU is rated at 220w thermal energy, which is being represented in your coolant temperatures.

An H115i should be used for that. H80 seems better for 65-125w (maybe even up to 140w) CPUs. H100 is good for 95w-200w. The extra capacity and larger radiator of the H115 helps it deal with the hottest of CPUs.

An H80 shouldn't be paired with an FX-9590. Whatever your next CPU is, it won't be quite as hot as that.

My Ryzen 1700x at 3.9GHz/1.3625v is taxing my H100iv2 ability to pull heat away from the CPU. Gets up to 74C under heavy workloads when all 16 threads are going full bore (100%); coolant, though, never rises above 40C after a few hours.

My next CPU is the i7-7700K but I dont wanna use faulty cooling on my new CPU if that is the case.

Corsair Graphite Series 230T Mid Tower Computer Case

mounted default as in top back of case as exhaust, there is no airflow since if I close the case with side panel the temperature just rises like crazy.

What is the room temperature?

I suspect you need to improve the airflow through the case given the disk temperatures. For openers I would add some inlet fans.

BTW I much prefer the CoolIT H110i to the Asetek H115i, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=796027.

Archived