Corsair Community

H100i High Temp problem

b1ck132

I have bought a H100i a few hours ago, came home and installed, but my CPU is not being cooled at all, and it hits 80 degrees in a few minutes, which forces me to shut it down.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z

i5-2500k(was @4.5 with air, but since the heating issues, I have removed the OC for now)

GTX Titan

Corsair Force GT SSD

Windows 8 64-Bit.

When I turn on the computer, I run into a No CPU Fan Bios error. (Even though the CPU_FAN 3 pin is connected to the Mobo)

The fans are always on at 100%

First a white led light comes from the pump, then it turns to Red, and stays like that.

In windows, the fans continue on working at 100% and it takes a few minutes to hit 80s, it is as if it's not being cooled at all.

Here is what I did so far:

I mounted the pump with screwing in the X pattern(cross to cross), had the problem, took it off, cleaned the paste off, re-applied paste, re-mounted.

I have updated the firmware to 1.07

All the USB/CPU_FAN cables are attached properly.

The Pump is read at 2500, and 1300 fluctuatingly.

What is faulty here? Spent quite a few ours trying to figure it out, but can't find out what is wrong.

Thank you.

it should be connected to cpu_fan to avoid boot error

if in bios the pump shows ~2200 rpm,the pumps working

in windown if the temp gets high,check to make sure the block is firmly seated

im not familiar with your m/b but some have capacitors that get in the way.

looks like on top of your cpu,your board does have close capacitors

It's connected to CPU_FAN, but still, my Mobo can't read it.

I couldn't find where to check the pump in BIOS?

I have double checked that the block is firm.

And yes, I have close capacitors to the CPU, does that mean, I can't use H100i at all? Do I need to return it?

It's connected to CPU_FAN, but still, my Mobo can't read it.

I couldn't find where to check the pump in BIOS?

I have double checked that the block is firm.

And yes, I have close capacitors to the CPU, does that mean, I can't use H100i at all? Do I need to return it?

no not at all,you will just need to rotate the block 90 degrees,new tim must be used when doing this

the pump will read as a fan in bios.

Okay, I have rotated the pump and re-mounted(using thermal paste again)

Now my idle is around 60-70, much better then before, but still it's not use-able.

It goes upto 70s, and suddenly drops back to 60s. =/

• Corsair Employees
If you have the plug for the CPU_Fan connected to the CPU Fan header then please check in BIOS and see what it shows for the speed on the CPU Fan that is the Pump speed and it should show about 2200 rpm if not and you are 100% sure it mounted properly I would suggest we replace the unit. And by the way the other plug or wire from the Pump is it connected to the PSU S-ATA power by chance?

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but you guys above trying to help did not read his OP well enough.

He said: "When I turn on the computer, I run into a No CPU Fan Bios error. (Even though the CPU_FAN 3 pin is connected to the Mobo)"

CPU headers are usually 4-pin (PWM control capable) so calling it a 3-pin could be a mistake on his part, BUT the pump connector on the H100i is 3-pin so the 4th pin wouldn't matter anyway. A possibility is the header on the motherboard itself could be faulty and/or not properly detecting the signals from the pump connector making the motherboard think it's not connected or malfunctioning.

-You guys should of asked him to use the pump on a different motherboard header and put a fan on the CPU header to see if he still got this error upon boot.

He said: "it hits 80 degrees in a few minutes, which forces me to shut it down."

Since we know the H100i pump connector is 3-pin and the power output is static, he could have a poorly configured profile set in Corsair Link, but he didn't mention Link so I can only assume. Or his installation is poor (poor clearance around CPU socket, too much/little TIM, backwards backplate, etc), or his pump is in fact not running like it should.

He said: "The Pump is read at 2500, and 1300 fluctuatingly"

The error could mean the header itself is not working properly, the communication between the motherboard header and pump is messed up, or the pump is failing. The RPM should stay very close to 2200rpm +/- 10%. A 1300rpm is a huge red flag. He also mentioned his pump LED went from white to Red. With my H100i, I set it to Blue right away and was not interested in its colour profiles for different temps/pump speed warnings or whatever it does. It might be set to go Red by default when something is wrong whether you use Corsair Link or not. This is where a google search comes in. Red could be his unit telling him there is something wrong. And again, he could of put a fan on the header to see if the RPM was affected too.

If you're going to help someone, HELP them. Ask questions, and do some research!

• 3 years later...

Hey everyone, yes, quite a frustrating one, reading through the comments I experienced the same issue with "all of a sudden a hurricane next to me and still running at 90 degrees C."

And I've read through the daunting task of reapplying tim, pressing down on it (while on?? woaw) to see if temp drops. Braver men and woman than I...

But you know what actually fixed it for me? DUST!! Or rather, taken the radiator off the case, and seeing a lot of dust clumped between the fins.

So, I switched it all off, unplugged, unscrewed the radiator and I hoovered out all the dust. (PS: I don't recommend using compressed air cans... I ruined a very expensive GFX card like that once and never again! Because when held at the wrong angle, it liquefies and flash froze components on the board...). Took me 6 minutes to do.

And thats it. Went from liquid temps avg at 49 down to 29 right away, core temps back to very comfy 34 C (ok, this may still be high for you guys, so I still may get better performance if I do re-seat and re-tim).

But I'm super happy with results and thought I'd post it here for future reference.

Cheers! :)

Archived