Corsair Community

Will the CLNP + CLCP control any 5V WS2812B addressable 5050 RGB LED Strip

red-ray

Then there is this interesting LED Panel with 256 pixels, but the CLCP firmware and SIV do not currently address this many. It would be fun to play with, but I assume that currently only the first 144 LEDs could be addressed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DC0IPVU?psc=1

No, the current limit is only 72 and I suspect 256 may be impossible as the LEDs per strip must be <= 255. Maybe 2 x 128 could be made to work.

There is a 8 x 8 = 64 which should be OK and reading your posts is not zero cost. I have updated SIV 5.21 Beta-10 to do 64 :laughing:.

Edited by red-ray

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the current limit is only 72 and I suspect 256 may be impossible as the LEDs per strip must be <= 255. Maybe 2 x 128 could be made to work.

There is a 8 x 8 = 64 which should be OK and reading your posts is not zero cost. I have updated SIV 5.21 Beta-10 to do 64 :laughing:.

HA! Sorry Ray. Look at it this way - you got me to buy a 144-LED strip that I did not really need, and that is now dead. So I guess it's my turn to burden you with another LED array that you will probably now go buy.

Strips are so... linear! With a matrix array, you can spell out words, like Corsair Software is GREAT, (well maybe not that) or logos, or whatever you can cram into an 8x8 array!

BTW - Is Beta 10 released? I just updated and Bete 09 downloaded. No 64-LED option. I don't really need it (yet) so just wondering..

Edited by SpeedyV

I added Menu->File->Latest Releases so SIV users did not need to ask me such questions and again this is in the SIV User Guide.

Hi Ray,

I may not be the GOOSE this time. That is exactly how I did the Beta update but as you can see in the screen shot below, V5.21 Beta 09 is listed - not Beta 10. Actually to get to this screen, one can also just click on the [OK] button pull down and get to [Latest Releases] that way. if this is Operator Error, please advise what I am doing wrong.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30048&stc=1&d=1498652090

1258392597_062817LatestReleases.png.0e5fdeecc9d3771e92404514fb5d0661.png

I may not be the GOOSE this time.

Once I release Beta-10 that screen will say Beta-10 :bigeyes:. Obviously I will be running Beta-10 before I release it.

I added [Latest Updates] in V4.17 released on 14-Mar-2011 so SIV users could easily check what the latest Beta is without needing to ask me. Since adding this I think you are the first to basically ask me if it's correct, why do you feel you need to do this?

Edited by red-ray

Once I release Beta-10 that screen will say Beta-10 :bigeyes:. Obviously I will be running Beta-10 before I release it.

I added [Latest Updates] in V4.17 released on 14-Mar-2011 so SIV users could easily check what the latest Beta is without needing to ask me. Since adding this I think you are the first to basically ask me if it's correct, why do you feel you need to do this?

I saw Beta-10 in your screen shot and thought you had released it. I wanted to check out how the LED selection menus are coming. I did not realize Beta-10 was still pre-release. My error - apologies.

There is a 8 x 8 = 64 which should be OK and reading your posts is not zero cost.
  1. I just tested 8 x 8 which "just worked" so if Corsair update the firmware limit from 72 to 256 LEDs I expect 8 x 32 will also work.
  2. I would also like to see the number of "strips" extended from 6 to at least 16, maybe 32.
  3. I feel 8 days from China is quite fast.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30117&stc=1&d=1499263769

1495610886_8x8ColourWave.jpg.ac434be66044eab607f0478c6a9d2f48.jpg

Edited by red-ray

ordered a strip to try this out. making the connections right now. im going to use the cable from the three button controller. You said the middle was green (data) which one is gnd, power?

on the connector there is an arrow which one is that?

thanks but left to right with no reference means nothing

all the wires are black, one of them has a stripe on it which changes position on the 2 cables

from everything you said im guessing looking at the wire vdc is the arrow,then data then gnd?

from everything you said im guessing looking at the wire vdc is the arrow,then data then gnd?

I can't even see an "arrow". The locating tag is between +5 and data.

The 3 pins on the CLCP/CLNP LED ports numbering from left to right are:
  1. 1 Ground
  2. 2 Control Data Out
  3. 3 +5 Volts

The wires look Red + Green + Black to me.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29881&d=1497473584

Ground is either white or black and +5 is red. The two wire cables that came with the CLCP with 3-pin connectors are ground + control.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30152&stc=1&d=1499757416

42293189_CLCPLefttoRight123.png.48edcbdb6785eb98a2f169add35f97c1.png

Edited by red-ray

Well I bit the bullet and invested another $22 on these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DLYSH6U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully they will work better than the last set I bought. I am still debating getting an 8x8 LED matrix, but I don't really know what I would do with it. Then again, I don't really know what I am going to do with these. I probably will not take a soldering iron to them as that did not work out so well with the last strip.;):

thanks.

the arrow is on the plug it appears to be vdc

I had the same problem - "left" means nothing without a reference. When I hooked up my LED strip, I just put a volt meter on the +5vdc and Ground pins and figured it out that way.

im going to use the cable from the three button controller.

I did the same thing. If you are not going to use the 3-button controller, you can just cut the cable and use the connector. I cut mine a few inches from the end so I could always splice it back together.

all finished and works great. Really neat how you can break the strip into smaller stips in the software

Glad it's working for you. I was doing great with the 1st 144-LED strip I bought but as soon as I separated it into 2 strips, I started having problem with both halves. These strips are very high density and the solder pads between LEDs are tiny. I am pretty good with a soldering iron but I have to assume I damaged the strip when I de-soldered the 2 sections. I just ordered another one from a different company - hopefully I will have better luck. This time I probably won't try de-soldering it.

i didnt split it physically, i had to cut 5 diodes off the end and then in the software i added it as RGB 10 LED Items x5 so teh led effects act as though there are separate strips.

not my desired setup, i want white with red phasing through it but it works for now

i didnt split it physically, i had to cut 5 diodes off the end and then in the software i added it as RGB 10 LED Items x5 so teh led effects act as though there are separate strips.

not my desired setup, i want white with red phasing through it but it works for now

I'm sorry but by "diodes" do you mean 5 LEDs?. I understand in SIV you can make the strip into several smaller "logical" strips. By cutting 5 diodes off the end do you mean you sliced off the last 5 LEDs?:thinking:

correct i cut off the last 5 leds to make it fit. due to the options in SIV the last 3 in my current setup arnt being used. ill probably end up in software upping the length so it will think its longer, but should still look ok

I am pleased to hear you got them working :biggrin:.

How many LEDs per item would you like SIV to support? I can add this for Beta-22.

Edited by red-ray
Beta-21 released

would it be easier to allow the end user to type in the amount per string?

Maybe one day, but no way 'till I have released SIV 5.21 and even then I am not sure I wish to add this. The tricky part will be saving this in the profile.

I feel we need to wait and see if Corsair will update the CLCP/CLNP firmware to allow > 72 LEDs and > 6 strips first.

I kept seeing 8 x 32 and the temptation was too great.

At the moment only the first 72 LEDs can be controlled an I am hoping a future firmware release will allow more.

I plan to wait and see for a while, but suspect a solution involving solder may be needed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30279&stc=1&d=1500468521

1951347725_8x32-72down184togo.png.dffd26674a6ca9601b94fd83f31eef71.png

• 2 weeks later...
I was asked if XXXX HUE+ LEDs will work when connected to a CLCP as if they would the member would be tempted to get a CLCP so he could control them with SIV.

Looking at https://forum.level1techs.com/t/nzxt-hue-a-look-inside/104836 it says they are WS2812B and the signals are:

[table=head]CLCP/CLNP Name|XXXX HUE+ Name|LED Name|Description

Pin 3 |5V|5V |+5 Volts Power

Pin 2 |DI |In / Out |Control Signal

Pin 1 |GND |GND |Ground

NA|ADC|FD|10 Ohm Resistor from between FD/ADC and Ground.[/table]

1. The controller detects the amount of LEDstrips through a simple voltage-divider. 4 strips = 40 LEDS have 2.5 Ohms of resistance.
  2. That means, that you can easily get different WS2812 (b) LED strips and that you can use them with this controller if you only use 40 LEDS per channel and if you solder a specific amount of resistance between GND and ADC. 2.5Ohms for 40 LEDs.

1. HUE+ uses the ADC to GND resistance to know how many LED strips are connected, but the CLCP/CNLP do not and you need to tell the control software how many there are.
  2. If you forget about ADC and hook up the XXXX LEDs they should just work.
  3. I don't have any XXXX LEDs to try this, but am 99.42% sure they will work.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30152&d=1499757416
Edited by red-ray
XXXX

Ray, here is what I found out by playing with my Hue+ setup. I am currently using v3.3.4 of their software which is currently the latest version.

!. FD/ADC is not even used. I accidentally broke a FD pin off of an extension cable between the 1st and 2nd strip on a 4 strip channel. It did not affect the detection of strips at all.

2. Hue+ software only detects changes during initial software startup.

3. One of the strips I disconnected showed discolored LEDs. All strips are still working and my computer typically runs 24/7 so I will have to keep an eye on things.

4. Controller remembers settings as long as it has USB power. I noticed this when I shut off the PS and pulled the plug for a "cold" boot.

5. So based on this I believe they should work on a CLCP ignoring the FD pin on the strip.

Bob

Edited by Bob Pilette

• 3 weeks later...

As the CLNP V0.4.94 firmware allows 96 rather than 72 LEDs I have updated SIV to allow for this. It still only allows a total of 6 strips, but it's now possible to control 6 x 16 LED strips.

LEDs 0 -> 95 are as expected, but the remainder are not. Prior to the CLNP V0.4.94 firmware all the remainder were black/off.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30719&stc=1&d=1503129411

attachment.php?attachmentid=30718&stc=1&d=1503129397

1020881672_6x1696-0.thumb.png.efe4d26f8641cd6e33b64923c0552e92.png

1875686817_6x1696-1.png.e6ffe069684d2ddf90ab2717c6076cb5.png

• 5 months later...

Is it possible to wire addressable LED strips in parallel on the same channel?

I am wiring up a few strips to light up the reservoirs in my new build and have two vertical channels per reservoir that will hold 7 leds per strip. I would like to have each pair of the two 7 led strips in sync as one addressable unit.

I have wired up a single 7 LED strip to the Lighting Node Pro for initial testing, but I'm hesitant on testing the parallel config as I'm not sure if the SPI interface protocol allows for that and don't want to damage the controller.