Corsair Community

Link Development Status Update

COOL GUY

• Corsair Employee

Updated 2/11/15

The concerns shown in this thread and forum are real. Corsair should take responsibility for the software on all of their products. I am here to do that for Corsair Link. There are users having problems with Corsair Link and the frustration is warranted. The community has been supportive as we work through issues on the products and the software. Below is a slightly more detailed response as a start.

What came out of the bug tracking meeting was that several of the issues were not fully resolved. Another drop of the software went into test today meant to resolve them. If the software has known critical issue's it will not leave the building, now matter how badly an update is needed. The new date for the software to be released is the 16th of February. That date is a best case scenario that can/will move if needed. This may not make everybody happy, but it is the best thing for the customers and the products the software supports. Once the software goes into internal testing it takes roughly two weeks to fully complete the testing process. We have 15 test machines right now across three different groups trying to make sure we catch everything. That does not mean we always do and there will be things we don't catch. This is something that was not in place last year. We have had to staff up in our testing and software team to support the HID, Audio, and Link software.

The v3 release is slated to have firmware updates for the H80i and H100i, a new bootloader (process/method of flashing the firmware), multi-language support, installation enhancements, new product support, an updated CPUID SDK, and various UI functional fixes.

• Firmware updates for the H80i and H100i are to address certain USB connectivity and RGB LED color profile issues.

• The bootloader has been completely revamped to try and make the process easier and more stable. Firmware updates in the past have left some users with bricked units and having to RMA your unit because a firmware flash went bad is the last thing anybody wants to do.

• We have an installation option already that sets specific flags in the registry for Win 8/8.1 support but people are still having to set these manually sometimes. We are now going to prompt for admin access if needed to make sure the registry edits happen instead of continuing installation without the registry edits.

• Multi-language support will give non English speaking users a much more useful tool.

• The new version will also support the H80i GT and H100i GTX that will be coming to market soon. Since they have already been leaked all over the internet we can mention them here.

• The new CPUID SDK is what runs all of the motherboard, GPU, and HDD sensors. An update just brings on new hardware that might not have been supported before. SLI/Crossfire detection is still not working.. yet.

2/11/15

The above list is not the complete change log. It was what the majority of users were having problems with and our main focus. The feedback about the RGB LED color's not being saved through system shutdown or restart are being addressed as well.

The new 3.1.xxxx is still under test and some issues were found with the fixes for the firmware on H80i and H100i. The new firmware is going to be pulled along with the new firmware update bootloader for the 3.1.xxxx release at first. It is still being worked on but will be a couple weeks behind as we have to start qualification over again after updating the firmware.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employee
Thank you for the status update. I feel this should be moved to it's own thread, made sticky and updated at least once per week.

That is a very good point. I will work with the mods to get that set up.

Thx Coolguy for the update

A new enhanced UI would actually be nice;):

An enhanced UI will not be up and running until, at best, the second half of this year (wild guess on time frame, no schedule is set yet). Most all the development right now is going towards getting current users squared away. It will happen, but its still in the definition phase now.

An enhanced UI will not be up and running until, at best, the second half of this year (wild guess on time frame, no schedule is set yet). Most all the development right now is going towards getting current users squared away. It will happen, but its still in the definition phase now.

No worries,Im not gonna try to pin you down to a exact date release;):

The concerns shown in this thread and forum are real. Corsair should take responsibility for the software on all of their products. I am here to do that for Corsair Link. There are users having problems with Corsair Link and the frustration is warranted. The community has been supportive as we work through issues on the products and the software. Below is a slightly more detailed response as a start.

What came out of the bug tracking meeting was that several of the issues were not fully resolved. Another drop of the software went into test today meant to resolve them. If the software has known critical issue's it will not leave the building, now matter how badly an update is needed. The new date for the software to be released is the 16th of February. That date is a best case scenario that can/will move if needed. This may not make everybody happy, but it is the best thing for the customers and the products the software supports. Once the software goes into internal testing it takes roughly two weeks to fully complete the testing process. We have 15 test machines right now across three different groups trying to make sure we catch everything. That does not mean we always do and there will be things we don't catch. This is something that was not in place last year. We have had to staff up in our testing and software team to support the HID, Audio, and Link software.

The v3 release is slated to have firmware updates for the H80i and H100i, a new bootloader (process/method of flashing the firmware), multi-language support, installation enhancements, new product support, an updated CPUID SDK, and various UI functional fixes.

• Firmware updates for the H80i and H100i are to address certain USB connectivity and RGB LED color profile issues.

• The bootloader has been completely revamped to try and make the process easier and more stable. Firmware updates in the past have left some users with bricked units and having to RMA your unit because a firmware flash went bad is the last thing anybody wants to do.

• We have an installation option already that sets specific flags in the registry for Win 8/8.1 support but people are still having to set these manually sometimes. We are now going to prompt for admin access if needed to make sure the registry edits happen instead of continuing installation without the registry edits.

• Multi-language support will give non English speaking users a much more usefull tool.

• The new version will also support the H80i GT and H100i GTX that will be coming to market soon. Since they have already been leaked all over the internet we can mention them here.

• The new CPUID SDK is what runs all of the motherboard, GPU, and HDD sensors. An update just brings on new hardware that might not have been supported before. SLI/Crossfire detection is still not working.. yet.

Fair enough, at least we know something now. Thx

• Multi-language support will give non English speaking users a much more usefull tool.

Thanks for the update. Is that a full changelog? What about the blinking of the LED's when fans are set to custom curve? That and H100i detection are really the only huge problems I have with the software.

Would it be possible to get a checkbox added in the future which allows non-PSU fans to run at 0rpm without flashing red? Believe this is mostly an issue for people with Strix and Twin Frozr video coolers which stop the fan under low/no load.

Lets give them a chance to get the software running properly for now.

Corsair Link Software right now isn't capable to manage simple tasks it has been written for.

If anytime all features that are already part of it start working as they should, it would be pretty much enough for now to get what you've payed for.

If ever it works as intended, I'm happy with every + they put in. :D

But for God's sake - let us decide wether we want to put our PWMs lower than 40%.

This restriction is absolutely ridiculous!

Thank you for the update!

I would much rather a polished version come out in comparison to rushing something junked out to release. The features included in link right now are plenty enough to keep me happy when it works so if this next release is just bug squashing then I'll be extremely pleased.

Thanks for the update. It's great to see Corsair acknowledge past mistakes and commit to fixing Link in a timely manner. The expanded pool of testers is the highlight for me; it suggests that Corsair is beginning to realise the value of quality software and is willing to allocate the resources required to overhaul Link (and CUE).

Is this a full change log or just a list of major fixes? Hopefully the latter because there's no mention of a fix to Link's broken system tray menu. I'm really optimistic about Link after reading this update but I'd like an acknowledgment of this ridiculous bug: Switching profile from the system tray only applies when Link's main window is opened. This not only makes the menu pointless as a 'shortcut', it could potentially lead to hardware damage.

For example, a user could use Link's system tray menu to select a maximum fan speed profile and then open a CPU and/or GPU stress testing application with the logical assumption the profile change was applied. They could leave this running for hours without realising they had a minimum fan speed profile running the entire time because Link's menu doesn't work. This probably wouldn't cause damage in most systems due to thermal protections but it definitely could in some e.g. a custom watercooling loop where liquid temperature could reach dangerous levels before the system shutdown.

Niche scenarios aside, it's just unprofessional for a reputable company to release software with such rudimentary mistakes. Things like this should be a matter of pride for developers. It would be less damaging to remove the menu altogether than to have it exist as nothing more than a placeholder.

Much Appreciated Update!

I hope:

- Corsair memory readings will work

- Corsair PSU readings will work

- Lightning node will remember its settings without having to start Link software

Still....appreciate the update and the hard work so far!

Finaly after a year...cant understand why sli wont be supported, it worked before.

Let's hope they learned something in the past year and that we get a bugfree version.

The regedit should be made while install not to do it manually. You cant await from endusers to edit the regedit! I could do it but as i need to ask...are you going to add a row in the manual packed by the h100i that customers need to edit the regedit? I quess no. So dont do it. Just keep it simple an make it work. Noone really wants to ask google why cosair stuff dont work when pluged in...If you have a problem related to OS's you should bring out different versions. Thank You for the understanding.

The regedit should be made while install not to do it manually. You cant await from endusers to edit the regedit!

It's not possible to reliably do the regedit at install time as the C-Link USB device could be plugged in after installation (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\HID\VID_1B1C&PID_0C04\7&309908C&4&0000\Device Parameters does not exist 'till it is) and for some PSUs it has to be as the C-Link installation installs a special driver. What you are asking for is sensible, but C-Link would need to do this every time it starts. Also after doing this it will need to restart the USB device.

All of this is quite easy and my SIV utility does it when started with the -CRLCTL command qualifier. From memory it took less than an hour to implement.

The ideal solution would be to have a CoDeviceInstaller for the USB Class which would be installed when CL is installed and could instantly do the regedit when the C-Link USB device is plugged in, but this is rather more work. With this solution C-Link would not need to run with admin rights.

Thank you Corsair, I really want this to work again.

I ripped my Link controllers out of my system just before Christmas in a fit of rage after the umpteenth software fail.

I'm waiting with baited breath to watch the forums upon V3 release... if the usual thread of frustration isn't present.... hey I might be willing to give it another go and even look at buying more C-Link gear in the future.

If not? Oh well, my expensive commander and fan controllers will gather more dust in my drawer and I won't touch anything stamped Corsair Link :(

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for the update. Is that a full changelog? What about the blinking of the LED's when fans are set to custom curve? That and H100i detection are really the only huge problems I have with the software.

No, it is not a full change log. Just what we believe were the major issue's people are having and our main focus. The blinking of LED's you are referring to, which product is that on? Is it only on custom curve? If this is the Commander Mini, then yes we have been looking into this, if other please let me know. Are the fans you are using PWM, 3 pin, or both?

Would it be possible to get a checkbox added in the future which allows non-PSU fans to run at 0rpm without flashing red? Believe this is mostly an issue for people with Strix and Twin Frozr video coolers which stop the fan under low/no load.

I will put this on the list for GPU fans and see what we can do.

But for God's sake - let us decide wether we want to put our PWMs lower than 40%.

This restriction is absolutely ridiculous!

This restriction is to keep lower speed fans from stalling out. 1k rpm stock fans at lower than 40% generally stall and is considered a safety feature. We do see the requests to turn off fans as an enhancement and will look at what kind of warnings we have to put in place for people to enable this if the hardware can support it.

Please tell us that you're going to post a list of items that have been tested and were fixed on the test systems, along with a list of outstanding issues you intend to fix.

This alone would help to alleviate lots of frustration. Nothing more frustrating than being told here at the forum to try multiple versions of Corsair Link, and then permutations of regedit's, and BIOS settings, and then standing on one foot rubbing your tummy while patting your head, only to find out it is a known software issue!

Please, document what is known... Stop the Madness!!!

• Corsair Employee
Please, document what is known... Stop the Madness!!!

These will be a known issue section below the release notes. We had a limited version of this with 2.7.5361 but with a lot more testing going on that list will be longer.

These will be a known issue section below the release notes. We had a limited version of this with 2.7.5361 but with a lot more testing going on that list will be longer.

Cool Guy, do you know if the system tray menu bug will be fixed in the next update? If not, can you confirm it's a known issue that will be patched in a future release? I'm not sure if it's ever been acknowledged by Corsair. If it hasn't, can you please bring it to the attention of the software developers?

Thanks

Archived