Corsair Community

AX1200i not powering WD Black 6TB HDD

MikeRichards

I just finished a new build and noticed that my WD black (WD6003FZBX) was not in the BIOS... which i have troubleshot down to a PSU issue / limitation.

I was able to complete my build using 2 Gen 3 individually sleeved sata 4 pin connectors (purchased separately). On one of these connectors I have an H150i with 3 LL120 fans and pump, a corsair commander pro with 2 LL140 fans, 1 LL120 fan and 3 ML120 fans, and a sata Y splitter with a WD 6TB blue and WD 6TB black.

The WD black WD6003FZBX is not being picked up by the BIOS. I was able to swap the black drive out with another 4TB blue I had laying around and it was detected. I switched positions of the 6TB black with the 6TB blue and the 6TB blue is always detected, and the 6TB black is not detected. I Disconnected the 6TB blue drive and still the 6TB black was not detected. Kicker is I put the 6TB black in my 2 year old build and it works fine. I connected the 6TB black to my new PC with a different AX860i PSU and sata 3 6GB/s cable and it was detected in the BIOS ok.

Does anyone know if this sata power configuration i listed above is too much for this PSU to handle with only 1 cable? Do I need to add another sata power cable for only the 2 HDDs? I can do this but it will be tight for space. Thought I would ask here first. Any insight would be greatful. Thanks.

I used a different shorter extention cable (4") to connect directly to the sata power cable that the splitter was connected to, and left the 6TB blue disconnected, but still did not detect in the BIOS this way. - but i could leave the splitter in and connect both the 6TB blue and a different 4TB blue or a corsair LE SSD and both would be detected in the BIOS at the same time.

So ... next ... when the system boots, you should feel it power up - a little vibration as the disks spin up. Is this happening?

Have you swapped out the SATA cables? Used another SATA port? I do (personally) find it unlikely that it's the PSU that's causing this issue.

I did swap that drive to the other sata power cable in my case and it did work. That was after using another set of cables with a different psu to verify the issue was not with the drive.

I ended up adding a third sata power cable for the 2 HDDs only, which i didnt think i should need, although maybe by redoing things i corrected an issue i didnt see to start with (loose cable or something). It was tight getting the cables in, but everthing is working great now.

Thx for taking the time to consider my issue.

Archived