Corsair Community

Ryzen motherboards that support vengeance pro ram?

mcnasty

Is there a list somewhere of Ryzen motherboards that support RGB control of the new Veangeance Pro ram? I have a cheap gigabyte motherboard that doesn't support SPD write, so i cant control the RGB on it with either iCue or Link. I've already talked to a Gigabyte rep, and they confirmed it.

What Ryzen boards do you guys have that supports control of the RGB on this ram? I'm still in the return window of the motherboard i have, so i want to return it and upgrade to a board that supports it, so tell me what you have that works.

I have a Ryzen 5 1600, so it doesnt have to be x470 or anything.

SPD WRITE is for a different platform, did you update to the latest version of your bios and iCUE yet?

-Art

Yeah, i've already talked with a gigabyte employee and my motherboard cannot control the ram. it's plain and simple as that. All i want is a ryzen motherboard that can control the RGB on the ram, that's it. I dont care how its achieved.

• Corsair Employee
Yeah, i've already talked with a gigabyte employee and my motherboard cannot control the ram. it's plain and simple as that. All i want is a ryzen motherboard that can control the RGB on the ram, that's it. I dont care how its achieved.

Control it with iCUE, I'd be almost 100% certain no motherboard manufacturer would be able to guarantee you compatibility with their specific software.

-Art

@Corsair Art, while no motherboard manufacturer may be able to guarantee, surely Corsair must have a list, even if it might be small, of motherboards known to be compatible. I just purchased the CMW16GX4M2A2666C16 and just had to RMA my ASUS Prime B-450 Plus because it is not compatible. I need to know what to purchase instead and was hoping to find something that either does not have RGB or is compatible with ICUE in order to avoid conflicting aesthetics. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 - works and overclocks, RGB control works

Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming - works but wouldn't overclock for crap, RGB control didn't work until latest iCUE (according to forum posts - returned board for below board when RGB control didn't work initially)

MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon (regular or AC) - works, overclocks great, RGB control works

These are the boards I've tried with Vengeance RGB Pro RAM and a Ryzen 5 2600. Currently I am running the MSI board with 3000MHz 15-17-17-17-35-52-1T 1.35V XMP RAM running at overclocked 3200MHz 16-17-17-17-35-52-1T 1.40V with XMP disabled, ~1.15V SOC. CPU is at 4.175GHz 1.40V - using a Corsair H150i Pro for cooling.

• Corsair Employee
If there are no known motherboards that work with it, does that mean I should just return it? :(

Not quite yet, this thread and others on this subforum have people using different motherboards that may be an option for you and work with their CMW (vengeance RGB pro)kits.

-Art

Two 8GB DIMMs CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W running reliably at 3466MHz on MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon. Version 42 of the MSI Gaming App recognized the two RGB RAM devices and offered several modes and lots of color variations. The MSI App handles my EVGA AIO RGB, two RGB light strips and the motherboard RGB locations well enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really hoping to run some white RGP Pro CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W on an MSI B450M Titanium, but the compatibility chart seems like a mess. For example, they list this kit as compatible: CMW64GX4M8C3200C16 which is a 8x8 kit. But this is not only a 4 slot board but they only list it as working with 2 DIMM slots. What is that even supposed to mean? You can buy this 8 dimm kit, but only use 2 of them?

Has anybody tried this board with CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-MORTAR-TITANIUM/Overview

Motherboard memory compatibility charts are a mess and typically worthless. They just list memory that the manufacturer tested with at the time. They don't test every memory module that's available at launch nor do they ever update them with new models that are continually coming out.

As for the RGB function ... the chipset and the motherboard need to support SPD Write. Apparently this isn't available on all of the AMD boards - something that I find absolutely stunning since just about every (if not every) memory vendor uses that functionality for the extremely popular variations of RGB memory.

Motherboard memory compatibility charts are a mess and typically worthless. They just list memory that the manufacturer tested with at the time. They don't test every memory module that's available at launch nor do they ever update them with new models that are continually coming out.

As for the RGB function ... the chipset and the motherboard need to support SPD Write. Apparently this isn't available on all of the AMD boards - something that I find absolutely stunning since just about every (if not every) memory vendor uses that functionality for the extremely popular variations of RGB memory.

I see no mention of SPD Write in the manual, and it looks like that may be an issue on many B450 boards. On the other hand, it is an MSI Mystic Light board and this memory is listed as certified with Mystic Light.

So if I understand this correctly that would imply that I should able to use Mystic Light software to control this on this board but not iCue, is that correct?

The plan is to put all this in a Corsair 280X RGB, but it seems pretty difficult to make sure you have all compatible parts.

It is an issue with several of them. I really don't get why but ... it is.

Mystic Light would use SPD Write to control memory. That's really the only way to communicate with any RGB RAM unless they have separate connectors just for the lighting.

HOWEVER - just because the board is a Mystic Light board still doesn't necessarily mean that it supports SPD Write. It well may be that it has Mystic Light headers and not SPD Write. It would technically be a Mystic Light board ...

You may want to check with MSI Tech Support and ask directly if the board supports SPD Write. I wish I could be more helpful.

Thanks, yes I am seeing now that they list lots of their products as "Mystic Light", but it appears there are many different interfaces for Mystic Light and not all products support all of those interfaces (for example, this board does not have two of the three types of RGB light headers they offer).

Feel like I can't even trust the QVL list from MSI on this one, as just because the RAM works doesn't necessarily mean the RGB control works. Odd that everybody is producing all these RGB products these days, but nobody seems to be able to tell you what works together. You'd think at least Corsair could give us a list of all the mobos they used to produce those pretty marketing images.

So let's try a different angle. Does anybody know if a Micro-ATX Ryzen2 board that this RAM will work with?

I think Corsair Art may have misunderstood the OPs question, which wasn't whether or not the RAM could be controlled by the motherboard's native software, but just whether or not it would work at all (he even said with iCue in the post).

The OP found a solution, but not one that will fit in a Corsair 280X RGB. Trying to throw some money away on your stuff Corsair, a little help?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived