Corsair Community

New Cpu = Bad Ram On Abit Ic7

devo

Hi First post here and need some help with my system. Everything was fine running my 2 x 256mb Corsair Platinum TWINX XMS3200LL with my P4 2.67ghz (533 fsb), but I have now bought a new P4 2.4ghz (800 fsb) and i'm having major problems. I am experiencing major system instability with the new CPU and have decided that it's my RAM that's causing the problems (after many phone calls and endless searches on the Microsoft Knowledge Base). I can't seem to run my RAM even at SPD settings and thought this RAM would run fine at 200 fsb :evil: The default SPD settings are as follows: CAS Latency Time = 2.5 Act to Precharge Delay = 6 DRAM RAS# to CAS# delay = 2 DRAM RAS# Precharge = 2 Voltage = 2.6v I can change all these settings in my BIOS, but don't know what to use in order to increase stability? My MOBO is an Abit IC7 and I have the very latest BIOS revision. Any suggestions greatly appreciated... :sigh!:

• Corsair Employee
We are sorry that you are having trouble with our memory, Please make sure that you have the latest bios then load setup defaults and then set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3" and please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and test with [url]www.memtest86.com.[/url] If you still get errors please test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and let's make sure it's not just one bad module. If you do find one is failing, Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Rma@corsairmicro.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmicro.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it. Ram Guy

[QUOTE]2.5-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3"[/QUOTE] Could you please give me a more detailed explanation of the above settings? What do the different values above represent as the changeable options in my BIOS are the ones I put in my original post: [QUOTE]CAS Latency Time = 2.5 Act to Precharge Delay = 6 DRAM RAS# to CAS# delay = 2 DRAM RAS# Precharge = 2 Voltage = 2.6v [/QUOTE] Sorry to be a pain... :winking:

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest bios then load setup defaults and then set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-2-6 with the (Rass to Cass) set to "3" and please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts CAS Latency Time = 2.5 Act to Precharge Delay = 6 DRAM RAS# to CAS# delay = 3< DRAM RAS# Precharge = 2 Voltage = 2.7v Ram Guy

Ok... I have run the Memtest with both modules inserted (at the same time ie- dual channel mode) and it ran for 25 minutes, 5 passes and no errors. I know this isn't a very long test, but is it a good indicator that my RAM is ok? I will leave it running for longer now and see if there are any errors. This must mean that one of my other components is as fault, but which one? My system ran beautifully with my old P4 2.67ghz (533fsb) and it's only since I put my new P4 2.4ghz (800fsb) that i've been having stability problems. When I say stability problems I mean I cannot run a successful 3D Mark 2001se Benchmark. So... it could be my CPU - unlucky as it's brand new. It could be my MOBO - worked fine with old CPU, but could have issues with the higher FSB one. It could be my G Card - maybe it's the excuse I need to buy a 9800 Pro :greengrin Some people have said that it could be my PSU as i'm only using a 300 watt one, but this was fine with my old setup and I can't see that a slightly higher FSB CPU would strain it that much? I'm gonna try booting with a bare minimum system and see how that works later...

• Corsair Employee
If your PSU is only 300 watt that may not be enough as this CPU is rated at close to 100 watts by it self max load. And honestly I would suggest a 400-Watt min with that hardware config. With a 533 CPU the power is about 2/3 rd less. Ram Guy

Ok... I have managed to finally fix these stability issues and thought i'd share what I did: 1) I RMA'd the CPU that I bought from Simply and got a refund. 2) I purchased a brand new 550w PSU. 3) I then bought another P4 2.4c from Komplett. 4) Finally I finished by purchasing a shiney new 9800 Pro Needless to say that my stability issues have disappeared and I now have an even more Uber rig :bling:

Archived